Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.17570°N / 105.74058°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 11721 ft / 3573 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

"Roaring Peak" is a small unnamed, ranked peak above Watanga Lake in the Roaring Fork Drainage. It is a nice small peak to climb and is a very enjoyable experience to climb. This peak rises quite beautifully above Watanga Lake, and it can also be easily seen in the lake's reflection. There are nice views all around from this peak and it is not hard to reach, only class 2. This peak can be climbed with either Mount Adams or Twin Peaks, but is also a great peak to do on its own. The access to this peak is from the Roaring Fork Trailhead and is between 11-13 miles roundtrip depending if it is climbed with other peaks. The elevation gain is between 3500 to 4000 feet if it is climbed with other peaks.

Getting There

Drive north out of Granby for three miles till a sign comes into view for Arapahoe Bay. Turn right on this road, pay your $5 entrance fee and follow the road as it goes along Lake Granby for around 10 miles until there comes a fork in the road. Turn left and follow the signs to the Roaring Fork Trailhead. Follow the Roaring Fork trail as it steeply switchbacks up along the river. After the trail levels out, follow it along the lovely valley until you come to a switchback in the trail. Take the left fork to Watanga Lake. This fork is about three miles into the trail. Follow the trail, which gets better further along as it switchbacks steeply up a hill. After one mile after the trail junction, you reach Watanga Lake. This lake is a nice place to stop and rest before contemplating your attempt on the summit. From the lake, head north along Watanga Creek until you reach tree line. From here, head up to the Mount Adams- Roaring Peak saddle. From here, Roaring Peak is only 0.25 miles away, but 330 feet above you. Head up the steep slope and reach the summit. The other option to reach the summit is to head north from Watanga Lake for about 0.5 miles, then turn wst and angle towards the Twin Peaks-Roaring Peak Saddle. From here, follow the more gentle ridge 450 feet to the summit. Roaring Peak can be climbed with either Twin Peaks or Mount Adams.

Red Tape

No permit is required to day hike here, but you have to pay $5 to access the road to the trailhead. A permit is required to camp at Watanga Lake, but please respect the area as it is very beautiful.

Camping

Camping is available all along the trail, but is best at Watanga Lake.