Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.05528°N / 105.63724°W
Additional Information County: Boulder
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 13023 ft / 3969 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Niwot Ridge

Elevation: 13023 ft  / 3969 m

Indian Peaks Wilderness

Rank: Unranked

Range: Front Range

Lat/Lon: 40.05522, -105.63525

View of Navajo Peak.
View of Navajo Peak.
Shoshoni Peak.
Shoshoni Peak.
Niwot Ridge summit views
Niwot Ridge summit views

Niwot Ridge is right in the heart of the Indian Peaks. It's not very prominent, and most of the traffic it sees is heading elsewhere. Hell, being on the south half of the ridge is technically illegal. Apparently, my footprints ruin Boulder's water.

Most of the ridge is fairly long, gentle, and spacious. There's the remnants of some service road, and plenty of weather/atmospheric monitoring goodies. It's a good tundra stroll for pretty much anybody.

After the weather station is where things change. The whole ridge narrows to a knife edge that tops out just a hair above 13,000 feet in what seems like no time at all. There's also a nice view of the Isabelle Cirque, Navajo and Apache Peaks, and of course the looming face of Kiowa.

The knife edged section offers anything up to some rather edgy 4th class, depending on which route you take. Expect plenty of solitude, despite how busy the Brainerd Lake area can be, and some amount of adventure.

False summit.
False summit.
Bryan on the ridge.
Bryan on the ridge.
Route finding.
Route finding.

 

Getting There

The easiest way to access the ridge is through the Brainerd Lake Recreation Area. There's a trail that branches off the Jean Lunning Trail that's supposed to take you to the top, but I never found it. If you can't find the trail, don't worry. You can just go straight up the side. The whole ridge runs along the valley. It's probably better to go up sooner rather than later, as the further the ridge goes, the steeper the sides get.

There is also another way to access the ridge a bit further south on Highway 72, but I've never tried it and have no idea where it puts you. I believe it's called the Sourdough Trailhead.

First view of Niwot Ridge
First view of Niwot Ridge
Indian Peaks from the ridge.
Indian Peaks from the ridge.
Indian Peaks sunrise
Indian Peaks sunrise

Red Tape

If you go in through the Brainerd Lake Recreation Area, you'll have to pay the entrance fee. I swear it changes every year. Just to be safe, expect to pay 10-12 dollars to enter the area. Also, apparently the south edge of the ridge is in the Boulder Watershed. That means, if they catch you trespassing, prepare to pay a rather large fine.

 

Indian Peaks from Niwot Mountain.
Indian Peaks from Niwot Mountain.
Indian Peaks Wilderness.
Indian Peaks Wilderness.
Longs Peak from Niwot Ridge.
Longs Peak from Niwot Ridge.

Camping

 

Brainard Lake Recreation Area closed to motor vehicles and parking reservations ended for the season on October 15. Winter recreators are able to park at the Gateway Trailhead/Winter Parking Lot and access the area by foot, ski, or snowshoe. For more seasonal information, visit https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/recreation/?cid=FSEPRD1092233.

Camping

Dispersed camping is prohibited May 1 - November 14 in Brainard Lake Recreation Area. Camping is allowed at Pawnee Campground during its open season with a reservation. Visit https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232282.

Brainard Lake Recreation Area is set in a glacially carved valley offering visitors spectacular panoramic views of Brainard Lake, surrounding subalpine forest, and high peaks along the Continental Divide. Because of the area's high elevation, snow typically remains until July. For road updates, check Boulder Ranger District Road Status.

CAUTION: Several trailheads, such as Long Lake and Mitchell Lake trailheads, lead west into Indian Peaks Wilderness. Visitors entering the Wilderness are responsible for following all Indian Peaks Wilderness regulations and permit requirements. Dogs must be on a leash in the Wilderness.

Requirements – A parking reservation is required to park inside Brainard Lake Recreation Area. Visit Brainard Lake Recreation Area Seasonal Information to purchase parking reservations and view seasonal regulations for camping, pets, shooting, skiing, and more.

At a Glance

Current Conditions:

To reduce crowding, the Forest has a parking reservation system for Brainard Lake Recreation Area. 

Operational Hours:

  • Summer Operating Season: The seasonal gate, located at the Brainard Gateway Trailhead, is open from approximately mid-June through mid-October. 
  • Winter Season: Fees are not charged during the winter operating season. Winter recreationists can park at the Brainard Gateway Trailhead to access area cross country ski and snowshoe trails. Never block any gate with your vehicle, whether open or closed.

Fees:

A parking reservation is required to park in Brainard Lake Recreation Area. There is no fee to park at the Gateway Trailhead and enter Brainard Lake Recreation Area by foot/bike. Please see recreation.gov for all fees and additional information. Visitors with an agency pass receive a discount on parking reservations during checkout at recreation.gov, but they still must purchase a reservation.

Usage:

Heavy

Restrictions:

  • Prohibited: Pack animals (horses/llamas); recreational shooting (except for legal hunting) and being on trails posted closed.
  • Brainard Lake Recreation Area Summer Season Regulations (May 1 - Nov 14): Dogs must be on a hand-held leash at all times; when open, developed camping is only allowed at Pawnee Campground (no camping in closed campgrounds); dispersed camping is not allowed in Brainard Lake Recreation Area May 1 - Nov 14.
  • Brainard Lake Recreation Area Winter Season Regulations (Nov 15 - Apr 30): Motorized vehicles are prohibited; dogs allowed only on Brainard Lake and Lefthand Park Reservoir Roads; primitive camping is allowed 1/4 mile away from developed recreation sites (e.g. trailheads, picnic areas) except Red Rock Lake; Only Skis are allowed on Little Raven and CMC Ski Trail.
  • Fishing and Hunting: Permitted in accordance with regulations established by Colorado Parks & Wildlife.

Closest Towns:

Ward, Colorado

Water:

Not yet available

Restroom:

Vault toilets

Operated By:

Concessionaire: American Land & Leisure

Information Center:

Visitor Information: 970-295-6600; Contact Us

 



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Front RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Indian Peaks (CO)Mountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks