La Ruinette is the highest summit between Grand Combin in the west and Dent d'Hérens in the east, and is a very nice view point.
The access is an easy climb from the south west. With his neighbour mountain Mont Blanc de Cheilon (five meters lower), La Ruinette is located between Val de Bagnes (with Mauvoisin dam) in the west and Val des Dix (with Grande Dixence dam) in the east.
The summit is hidden in such a way that it is no visible from the next valleys : you have to walk a few hours to have the summit in eyesight.
Panorama from La Ruinette
Start point Val de Bagnes or Val d'Hérémence
Next airport : Geneva
Next station : Châble to Val de Bagnes , Sion to Hérémence
By car :
to Val de Bagnes : from Martigny, direction Verbier to Le Châble, Fionnay , Mauvoisin dam.
to Val d'Hérémence : from Sion to Vex, Hérémence, Grande Dixence dam.
- Normal route is the SW ridge from Chanrion Hut over Lire Rose collar
- Ruinette glacier route from Lire Rose
- SE face : Brenay glacier and Ruinette glacier. This is a descent route by good snow conditions
- Traverse Ruinette - Mont Blanc de Cheillon
When To Climb
Summer, or winter if you like to ski although its a reasonably difficult ski tour.
1. Barrage de Mauvoisin (Straße) - La Lia -
Le Lancet; 3 h
2. Mauvoisin - Pierracaro - Lac de Tsofeiret - P.2522;
CAMPING DE CHAMPSEC-LA SASSE
++41 (0)27 778.13.23
CAMPING FORÊT DES MELEZES BONATCHIESSE
++41 (0)27 778.12.40
CAMPING CARAVANEIGE (Hiver), LE CHÂBLE
++41 (0)27 776.20.51
1:25 000 : 1346 Chanrion
1:50 000 : 283 Arola
First ascent : Edward Whymper with Christian Almer and Franz Biner, 6. Juli 1865, exactly 8 days before his first Matterhorn ascent.
Grande Dixence dam