Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 61.56266°N / 5.44946°E
Additional Information County: Vestland
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 1991 ft / 607 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Vikanipa 607 m

Vikanipa is an attractive rocky peak located in the Vestland county, which is the Northern sector of the former county of Sogn og Fjordane, now incorporated into the larger Vestland county. On the Southern side of the Eikefjord, near Florø, there is a mountainous area called Vikafjellet. At the eastern end of Vikafjellet it rises this beautiful and well identified rocky peak, which offers a magnificent view of the Eikefjord and the surrounding villages.

Vikanipa summit view
Vikanipa summit view

 

Vikanipa

Vikanipa
Vikanipa summit log
Vikanipa summit log

Getting There

On the road n. 5 along the Eikefjorden drive in the direction of Florø. In Hovland, leave the main road and continue to the left  in the direction of Stavang along the Fv542 road. After a few km Ignore the road that branches off to the left and continue briefly along the main road Fv542 until you meet a tractor road on the left. Take this road and proceed for a few hundred meters to a small car park on the left.

Vikanipa, the approach trail
Vikanipa, the approach trail
Vikanipa (3)
Vikanipa (3)

Vikanipa Normal Route

Vikanipa Normal route

Summit altitude: 607 m
Difficulty: Alpine F
Vertical gain: 400 meters
Starting point: road to Stavang

From the parking lot along the tractor road continue on foot along the tractor road, until at its end there is a path marked with red signs. Reached a rocky prominence, you overcome it with a few easy climbing steps (it is also possible to go around it on the left) and you reach a wide ridge that you follow keeping not too externally towards the west with a magnificent view of the Eikefjorden. At one point, the rocky and pointed rock pyramid of Vikanipa appears.

Vikanipa
Vikanipa
Vikanipa summit scramble (2)
Vikanipa summit scramble (2)

Go to the right side of the pyramid (towards the fjord) and begin to proceed between the rocky bars of magnificent granite, taking a narrow rocky corridor.

Pond on the summit of Vikanipa
Pond on the summit of Vikanipa

Get out on the left with a few easy climbing steps, then continue on the rock to the left above a small basin with a pond up to the little man at the top. Stunning views over Høydalsnipa, Kvamshesten, Storehesten i Gaular, Blånipa and Midtbønipa.

Vikanipa summit scramble
Vikanipa summit scramble
Vikanipa summit cairn
Vikanipa summit cairn

Red Tape

No fees no permits required

When to Climb

The best period goes from May to October

Pond on the summit of Vikanipa
Pond on the summit of Vikanipa

Accomodation

Different possibilities of accomodation in Florø and surroundings. 

Meteo

Meteo Floro