Brncalova chalet winter mountaineering course

Brncalova chalet winter mountaineering course

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Rock Climbing, Ice Climbing, Alpine Climbing, Hiking, Skiing, Informational, Scenery, Panorama

Basic winter mountaineering course

There occured yearly basic winter mountaineering course from 25th till 27th january 2008 at the chalet chata pri Zelenom plese (familiarly Brnčalova chata; 1551 m), organized by the Slovak mountaineering club. I was lucky to spend the time with those people.

Scheduled was both theoretical and practical examination. Practical included moving with crampons while being on one rope, then any thinkable kind of fall on steep snow or ice (with or without crampons, with or without ice ax; face to slope with feet falling first, face to slope with head falling first, back to slope with feet falling first, face to slope with head falling first). Then we trained belaying in snow and in rock, with 2 axes, with one ax, in soft and in hard snow, quick belaying with your own body (over the arm or over the leg). Then we climbed an icefall and trained to use ice screw. Afterwards, back in the valley on quite large boulder we trained rappeling. We also examined snow profile and learned how to know the avalanche danger. We also had to dig snow cave and sleep in it the previous night - instead of staying in the chalet - and also we had to cook outside.

Due to high avalanche danger (4th grade) and upcoming hurricane we didn't ascend any mountain to examine our newly acquired abilities. It was scheduled for the last day - sunday, but on sunday we descended quite quickly and about 40 men and women in one queue - so that we couldn't get lost in the hurricane. I became the member of Slovak mountaineering club, acquired plenty needed abilities, got to know perfect mountain friends. I will spend some time with these guys for sure..

Photos of mountains from distance in this album is from my approach to the Tatras.

A NOTE: SOME MORE PHOTOS WILL BE ADDED (ONLY OF SCENERIES, THERE WAS NO TAKING PHOTOS DURING EXERCISING).

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Luddite

Luddite - May 26, 2008 6:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Beautiful Country!

You are very lucky to have mountains like that near you to train on.

Tomas Kristofory

Tomas Kristofory - May 26, 2008 7:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Beautiful Country!

Thank you for your nice remark :) Sometimes I need to hear that I'm happy because of living in viciniy of those mountains. I don't realize it everyday and it is good to realize it and become to be thankful once again.

By the way, we economists do not really like "luddites" (term for british workers in early 1800s who destroyed machinery in enterprises because they accused machines of being the reason of their unemployment.) However, a friendly luddite is welcomed in SP community :) I wish you not only to enjoy SP pages, I wish you to visit many mountain places of interest due to this website. Cheers, Tomas :)

Luddite

Luddite - May 27, 2008 10:27 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Beautiful Country!

I have only climbed here in the U.S. and would love to get to E. Europe. I have a family with two younger kids, so we will wait a few more years.

On the subject of Luddism, I am only opposed to the technology that steals the time of modern man. I guess it would be Neo-Luddism.

Tomas Kristofory

Tomas Kristofory - May 27, 2008 12:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Beautiful Country!

OK than, I like you belong to the group of people always wanting to spend couple of days off up in the mountains, away from technology. This has nothing to do with luddism IMHO. When speaking about time-eaters, the worst among them are computers. I know from personal experience. Let's spend more time out!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4