In Batizovska valley

In Batizovska valley

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Scenery

One day in Batizovska valley

Here are some pictures from my last weekend visit to Tatras. As we planned, altogether with my friend Marcin we took a trip to Batizovska Dolina on southern,
Slovak side of the range. Beautiful rocky amphitheatre at feet of Gerlach and Koncista massifs, to mention several other impressive granite peaks in the main ridge stretching from west to east. The target was to climb Zadny Gerlach peak, the lower one of two main summits of Gerlach massif being at the same time the highest point of whole main Tatra ridge. Another thing besides all well known attractions of the area was to have a look at remnants of Soviet military plane that crashed high in south-western slopes of the massif in October 1944. They are still there to find there.
The peak remains one of the few, last prominent High Tatra peaks for me to visit for the first time so despite of tropical hot that day, the motivation was there.
Unfortunately due to further circumstances, being witnesses of terrible climber's fall on steep snowfields at the entry to Walowy coulouir where our summit route led and latter rescue action, not having crampons and any equipment we decided to give up Zadny Gerlach this time and took direction towards Vychodne Batizovske Sedlo pass in the main ridge where we could enjoy fantastic panoramas above abysses to the depths of Bielovodska valley in the north and along the main ridge to the west towards Vysoka, Rysy and crowd of other peaks... adding to these most probably the most impressive view to nearby Batizovsky Stit that I've only knew from some old photos and stories the scenery was absolutely magnificent.

Meeting some climbers and one other friend bivouacing high in the valley, having ice cold beer that was waiting for us in the lake below, the sun was setting gloriously while our long way down, it was a great day. Good to be there again. Enjoy Tatras !

Batizovska Dolina, High Tatras, 10th July 2010


Comments

No comments posted yet.