Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.91905°N / 115.01381°W
Additional Information County: Kananaskis
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8626 ft / 2629 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Bryant
Mount Bryant (8,626 feet-2,629 m). One of several peaks in the "Fisher Range" This peak does not see many visitors due to the longish approach. Someone in good shape with a small pack and an early start could make it in and out in a day during the summer months. But it is best enjoyed as a two or three day trip with a Camp at Bryant Lake.

Getting There

Mount Bryant
From Calgary, Alberta. Take the Trans-Canada Highway west to Hiway 40. Then head south to just the Wasootch Creek day area. Park here and make your way in along the flood plain cutting more to your left after 4-5 hours. Gain the ridge following mostly animal trails. From here you will see "Moose Mountain" and Prairie Peak to your left (or east). Drop down to the lake below (Bryant Lake) and set up camp here. There is lots of dead wood for a good camp fire if conditions permit. The wind here is usually strong but there is plenty of shelter in the trees to the east of the lake.

The route to the summit is directly above (south) following the least line of resistance using switchbacks where possible. (If you can find some) Return the same way to your camp.

From here you have the option of returning the way you came (to Wasootch ) or continuing east along the animals trails till you reach another, flood plain. Here you head right (west) and then left along the valley behind "Nihahi ridge" to anothe campsite below a huge cave seen to the east. Camp here. The next day keep following the trail south and gain the ridge of Mount Howard and drop over the other side to the final 5 hours of the walk-out to the "Little Elbow day use area. You will have to have left a car here as well to make your escape. We did the whole route in 4 days and 3 nights of camping. we of course had heavy packs in winter conditions.

High winds are common in this area.

One item of note is the route in on the road from "Elbow Falls" to "Little Elbow" is closed during the winter months. December till May 15th. (Dates to be confirmed)

Red Tape

Mount Bryant
No red tape. It is wise to check in with the rangers at either the "Barrier Lake" or the "Elbow Ranger" station depending on the route you have chosen.

Check at the information centre for bear activity in the area. We saw black bear tracks near Prairie creek. Carry bear spray.

Elbow Information Centre 403 949-4261
Peter Lougheed Visitor Centre 403 591-6322
Elbow Valley Office 403 949-4941
Sheep River Office 403 933-7172

Police or Ambulance 911
Mountain rescue call 911 and ask for Kananaskis Emergency Dispatch 403 591-7767
Report a poacher 1 800-942-3800

Camping

Mount Bryant
Camping is permitted along the route. No permits needed. Campfire allowed depending on the conditions. Use of dead fall for fires only unless in an emergency.

On the "Little Elbow" side there are compgrounds

Gooseberry recreation area
McLean Creek recreational area
Paddy's Flats recreational Area
Big Elbow

to name a few.

Reservations would be advised by contacting:
Elbow Valley Campgrounds 403-949-3132
Elbow Information Centre 403 949-4261

External Links

Add External Links text here.