Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.59722°N / 114.90601°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7251 ft / 2210 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A popular destination for those in Calgary who want a quick fix in the mountains. At 2,210 metres (7,251 ft.) this small peak offers a fine panorama of the nearby foothills as well as the broad prairies sweeping off to the east. This is an easier outing for residences of Bragg Creek. 10 minutes from Bragg Creek, 40 minutes from Calgary.

Getting There

From Calgary one way is to take the Trans-Canada Highway west to the Bragg Creek exit, exit here and head southwest towards Bragg Creek on highway 22. When you reach Bragg creek turn right on to highway 66. Follow this to the Elbow Falls recreational area. Park on the side of the road near the seasonal closure gate. The trail starts on the right up from the road. There is a trail map posted on the far side of Prairie creek but if you reach this it will point you back to the trail on the side of the creek closer to your car.

The route itself is really just a hike but with a steady gain of elevation. Trail shoes will surfice unless the route is snow bound. Dress accordingly for the mountains. Be prepared for all types of weather. 3-4 hours round trip car to car.

Summit view from Prairie mountain, left to right, Banded Peak in the distance, Mounts Cornwall, Glasgow, Romulus, Remus, Nihahi Ridge
is the long ridge in the foreground, plus many others all the way to Moose mountain foreground, far right.

Red Tape

The road (66) is closed from the gate at Elbow falls recreational area in the winter up till May 15th. But as the gate is the starting point to your day this is not an issue. Check at the information centre for bear activity in the area. On April 14th we saw black bear tracks near Prairie creek. Carry bear spray.

Elbow Information Centre 403 949-4261
Peter Lougheed Visitor Centre 403 591-6322
Elbow Valley Office 403 949-4941
Sheep River Office 403 933-7172

Police or Ambulance 911
Mountain rescue call 911 and ask for Kananaskis Emergency Dispatch 403 591-7767
Report a poacher 1 800-942-3800

Camping

There are many recreation areas on the way to the trail head.
Gooseberry recreation area
McLean Creek recreational area
Paddy's Flats recreational Area
Big Elbow

to name a few.

Reservations would be advised by contacting:
Elbow Valley Campgrounds 403-949-3132
Elbow Information Centre 403 949-4261

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.