Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.28000°N / 117.08°W
Additional Information Elevation: 9064 ft / 2763 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Wildrose Peak (9,064 ft) is located in the Panamint Range which serves as the western border to Death Valley National Park. Wildrose Peak is an excellent peak to climb in the summer when the heat of the valley is extreme. It has also found favor for climbers and recreational hikers when the snow and ice makes Telescope and Roger's to difficult to attempt. The trailhead starts at the north end of the Charcol Kilns parking area (elev. 7,055 ft). The trail is 4.2 miles long and the average hiking time is around three hours in good conditions (can be longer in winter). The true summit is a short hike north once the summit plateau is achieved. A summit register awaits the successful climber. The summit is a great place to enjoy a lunch and take in the views of Mt. Whitney and the high Sierra's to the West, Telescope and Rodger's peaks to the South, and the massive relief of Death Valley below shadowed by the Funeral Mountains on the East.

Getting There


From Northern California, take CA-120 through Yosemite to US-395/Lee Vining Junction. Turn right onto US-395. Proceed to the town of Lone Pine and turn left on CA-136 just south of the town limits. Follow CA-136 for 17.5 miles where CA-136 turns into CA-190. Follow CA-190 through Panamint Springs. At the junction just past Panamint Springs there are two choices (see below) depending on weather and road conditions. To get the latest weather and road conditions, call the Caltrans information line: 1.800.427.ROAD.

In winter CA-120 closes from mid-October through April. An alternative route is to take I-5 south to CA-46 east. At US-99, procede south through Bakersfield to CA-58. At the junction of CA-14 turn north and proceed as descibed below.

From Los Angeles, take CA 14 north. Just before the highway enters Red Rock Canyon State Park, turn right on the road to Randsburg. At the only major fork in the road (before it hits US 395), go left. At the junction with US 395, turn left. Go about 2 miles and take the road to Trona. When this roads ends at CA 178, go right. Pass through Trona and descend into Panamint Valley. At the only major junction, go straight (left to Death Valley via CA 190 over Towne Pass) to Wildrose. At the stop sign in Wildrose, turn right and drive to the Charcoal Kilns.

If the road from Panamint Valley to Wildrose is closed (it is often washed out), you must make a long detour, going over Towne Pass to Emigrant, then south to Wildrose over Emigrant Pass.

From Las Vegas, take US 95 north to Beatty, then NV 58 to CA 190. Cross Death Valley to Emigrant, and proceed as above.

Red Tape


No permits are required but the peak does lie within the national park boundaries and one should pay the park fee. No reservations are required and the peak is open year round. However, during winter accents a 4WD drive vehicle is recommended to reach the Charcoal Kilns because of the steep dirt road that begins about three miles east of the Wildrose campgrounds. Also, one should notify the park rangers when attempting this peak in the winter.

When To Climb


The peak is open year round.

Camping


Camping is allowed at the Wildrose campgrounds, approximately 7 miles from the trailhead. Campsites can also be found at Thorndike (0.75 miles) and Mahogany Flats (1.75 miles) campgrounds which lie past the Charcoal Kilns. A 4WD is recommended to get to Thorndike and Mahogany Flats campgrounds.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.