Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.26000°N / 115.308°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7533 ft / 2296 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



The New York Mountains are located in the heart of the Mojave National Preserve. These rugged desert mountains rise at the south end of the Ivanpah Valley, and are one of the four major mountain ranges within the preserve, the others being the Clark, Granite, and Providence ranges. The highpoint of the New York Mountains is designated as New York Two on the topo map. New York is a slightly lower peak just north of the highpoint.

The New York Mountains are a somewhat obscure mountain range located off the beaten path. There are no maintained trails, campgrounds, or other tourist attractions around this area. Located far from major roads, and overshadowed by higher and more famous mountains, the New York Mountains receive relatively few visitors. With an elevation of 7,533', they just aren't high enough to attract much attention. But the new field of Prominence has made the New York Mountains a more important objective. With a prominence of 3,331', they're big enough to make an appearance on the crowded California Prominence Map.



Getting There

From Baker, drive about 40 miles east on I-15 to the Nipton Road exit. Drive east on CA 164 for about four miles, then turn right on Ivanpah Road. Follow the paved Ivanpah Road south for about nine miles as it crosses the railroad tracks. The road turns to gravel about two miles past the tracks, then starts to bend around the east side of the New York Mountains. About twelve miles past the tracks, turn right onto the signed New York Mountain Road. This junction is near a large water tank. Drive west about six miles until you reach the intersection with a good dirt road heading north towards Caruthers Canyon. Drive north on this road about two miles as it enters the scenic Caruthers Canyon. Park here. There are several good primitive camping spots here among the rugged spires of the New York Mountains.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the Mojave National Preserve office in Barstow at 760-252-6100 for the latest information.

Maps: Trails Illustrated Mojave National Preserve TopoMap.
Topo Maps: Ivanpah; Pinto Valley.



Camping

There are several good primitive camping spots at the trailhead. There are no developed campgrounds in the New York Mountains.

External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

California Desert PeaksMountains & Rocks
 
Mojave National PreserveMountains & Rocks
 
 
 
California Fifty FinestMountains & Rocks