Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 42.75725°N / 20.14392°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 7884 ft / 2403 m
Sign the Climber's Log

One of the most beautiful mountain of Montenegro

Hajla rangeNorth wall of impressive HAJLA range

On the border with Serbia, south from small town Rozaje, which is on the Berane-Novi Pazar road, HAJLA mountain range is located. Actually, Hajla range is the continue on northern part of PROKLETIJE mountain range. HAJLA range with its highest peak with same name - Hajla (2403 m) is not just a peak, that is 10 km long massif with a few connected peaks, all higher than 2000 m. Of course, Hajla peak as the highest peak of HAJLA range dominate in its range with its long ridge.
Rugovska Klisura from HajlaRugovska Klisura canyon from HAJLA

The northern slopes of HAJLA range are covered with forest, and on the hillsides of its Drmando (2119 m) peak is the source of the Ibar River. In order to reach this spring, near the Ibar River Bridge before entering Rozaje, turn right off the Berane-Rozaje road onto a gravel forest road and after 12 km is the Ibar spring.

HAJLA mountain range is bordered by the Bogska River on the west and from the south, its slopes descend to the Rugovska Klisura canyon, through which flows the Pecka Bistrica River. There are many springs from HAJLA to this river, the most important is the Alagina River. On the east the HAJLA borders with Stedim mountain.

From the summit of Hajla you can enjoy in southern view to northern part of PROKLETIJE range and to view to Rugovska Klisura canyon which spreads in Pec town direction.

Prokletije from HajlaNorthern part of PROKLETIJE range from HAJLA

The geological composition of this mountain varies in limestone and volcanic silicates, which created a jagged relief and variety of formations, so that this mountain overall, by form and content can be considered one of the most beautiful mountains of Montenegro. This geological composition and the climate of the HAJLA range have created a rich floral world, among which there are many endemic species. There is first of all, the "Molika" endemic pine (Pinus peuce), "Ibrisim" carnation (Dianthus superbus), Aconitum pendtneri, Onobrychis scardica, Hedysarum silicii, Leondtopodium nivale and Wulfenia blecicii.

Routes Overview

Hajla summitOn the summit of Hajla (2403 m)

ROUTE 1
Rozaje (1005 m) - Gornji Bukelj (1450 m) - Hajla pass (1760 m) - Mala Gora pass (2065 m) 1.30h - Hajla peak (2403 m) - 1.30h - Vranovacka Hajla peak (2281 m) 1h - Drmando peak (2119 m) - 2h

ROUTE 2
Bandzov (1479 m) - Brahim Breg (1810 m) 1h - Zuti Kamen (2075 m) 1.30h - Vranovacka Hajla peak (2281 m) 1h - Hajla peak (2403 m) 1h

Getting There

Hajla range from Bandzov HutHAJLA range from Bandzov

Map of HajlaMap of Hajla

Gateway to HAJLA mountain range is Rozaje town. Information how to get there:

By Plane
~To Beograd (Belgrade, Serbia&Montenegro capital) airport. Than with plane to Podgorica, capital of Montenegro, or with bus or car to Rozaje town.
~To Podgorica airport. Than with bus or car to Rozaje town and after to Gusinje town.

Information about flights find on the sites of JAT Airways, a former Yugoslav airlines, or on Montenegro Airlines.

By Bus
~Beograd (Belgrade)-Berane-Rozaje
~Podgorica-Berane-Rozaje

By train
~Beograd (Belgrade)-Bijelo Polje. Than with bus or with car (rent a car) to Berane and finally to Rozaje.

By car
~Beograd (Belgrade)-Kraljevo-Novi Pazar-Rozaje.
~Podgorica-Kolasin-Mojkovac (or Andrijevica)-Berane-Rozaje

Rozaje town (in Montenegro) is the main destination you would head first.

Drmando peakView to Drmando peak in HAJLA range

Camping

Bandzov HutBandzov Hut

From Rozaje town exist marked road which leads to Bandzov katun which is placed below the north side of HAJLA mountain range. Badzov is located on 1460 m above sea level and it's optimal place for camping. There you can find mountain hut which is built in 2003. That is a wooden house with dinning hall and room in the ground floor, where is also a kitchen and owen on wood. On the first floor you can use two small rooms (capacity for about 20 people, but you have enought place for 30 people). The owner of that mountain hut is "Jelencica" Mountain Society from Rozaje town. The name of the hut is "Safet Mavric Cak", which is the name of famous mountaineer who died tragically below the summit of Hajla (2403 m) peak.

Mountain Conditions - Meteo

The best weather forecast for Rozaje town on VREME YUBC NET web site.

Red Tape

No extra fees. Just follow the usual rules of behaviour in National Parks and mountains.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.