Svilaja

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 43.78498°N / 16.48979°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4951 ft / 1509 m
Sign the Climber's Log

PRIJE SVEGA

Na zalost, ovo su arhivske snimke planine Svilaje, jer zbog nebrige odgovornih za gasenje pozara, u dva katastrofalna pozara 2000 i 2007 g., Svilaja je pretvorena u kamenu pustinju!!!
Planina kao na fotografijama ispod, vise ne postoji...!!!
Nevjerojatna je nebriga odgovornih ljudi, prema posljednjim djelicima netaknute prirode i stogodisnjim sumama...!
Od najsumovitije planine Dalmacije, Svilaja je sada najkamenitija planina Hrvatske!!! (citaj pustinja!)





Svilaja
Two little girls in folk costumes.


Svilaja - Bat
 







OVERVIEW:

 
Svilaja.
 

Location: Croatia, middle Dalmatia
Height: 1509 m..
CAUTION-North and West side of the mountain is still not
cleared of landmines!MINE SITUATION


Svilaja is middle Dalmatian mountain and it stretches from Sinj’s field to N.W., all the way to Petrovo polje, near Drniš, for about 30 km long. It is a wide mountain, in its most firmly part is 15 km long.

The road direction Sinj-Muć-Drniš-Vrlika-Sinj follows the mountain.
North side of Svilaja is shortly cut off from river Cetina and Peruća lake. Like every other Dalmatian mountains has Dinaric direction coursing from N.W. – S.E.Dinaric Alps

Hill sides on the S.W. of the mountain slightly lay down and have all characteristics of Dalmatian mountain: Karsts, limestone, flora and fauna.Landscapes to point to are countless karsts sinkholes of all sizes and forms which give the mountain characteristic look of retiring and noble human presence through many centuries.

North side is very much aslope and covered by a beech wood 2001.Svilaja burned down in a big fire, particularly S.W. side, were almost all beech and black hornbeam wood was exterminated.

Hill sides of the mountain are rarely populated; war caused very high level of mines contamination. For touring and sightseeing it is the most interesting the top of (1509 m.) Svilaja-Bat, and also worth mentioning are(1485 m.)Rozgin Umac, Kita (1413 m.),(1340 m.)Turjača and Kijevski Bat (1206 m.)

SUMMIT VIEWS:

 
Climbing on summit of Svilaja.
 


Even though its geographic characteristics are much more modest comparing to the other mountains, undoubtedly, Svilaja gives marvellous view from its tops.
From the top Svilaja (1509 m. ) in direction of S.E. you can see: mountain Rilić (861 m)-100 km, Sveti Ilija-Pelješac (961 m)-110 km, islands: Korčula (568 m)-100 km , Hvar (626 m)-90 km,Brač (780 m) Vis (587 m)-90 km, Svetac-100 km, Jabuka-110 km, N.P. Kornati -80 km, mountainVelebit-Sveto Brdo(1757 m)-110 km,N.P. Paklenica Dinara(1831 m)-30 km, which is the highest top of Croatia.

Also, you can seeBat(1805 m.)-30 km,Troglav(1913 m)-25 km, Cincar(2003 m) Kamešnica (1856 m)-25 km, Biokovo(1762m)-70 km, Mosor (1339 m)-30 km. When it is nice weather and clear view you can also see the tops of Apennine in Italy, Corno Grande(2912 m). (cca 280-300 km!!!)


MOUNTAIN CONDITIONS:

 
Svilaja
 


Because of its disposed position, Svilaja is one of the first biggest obstacles to Genova cyclone. The annual amount of drops is nearly 2000 mm.
Weather report


Rainfall are very abundantly in autumn and spring, but because of absorbing ground, they fall and rise as strong source of clean, drinking water.


Between Svilaja and Dinara rise the most beautiful rivers in Croatia: N.P. Krka and Cetina.
The most common is N.E. wind, known as “Bura”, very dry and cold wind, sometimes even with hurricane strength of over 200 km/h. “Jugo “ is S.E. wind, warm and wet, usually blowing 30-120 km/h, in autumn and winter. “Maestral” is warm S.W. wind which blows in warmer part of the year.

FLORA AND FAUNA:

 
Svilaja-Bat
 

 
Svilaja-Croatia.
 

Svilaja abounds many endamic sorts of plants." (Dr. Radovan Kranjčev).


It is very unusual that even today you can run to flock of wild cows, which live only in mountain and almost without human supervision.

Some of the most prominent animals are wolf, fox, boar,
badger, rabbit and many kinds of birds and insects.

START POINTS TO CLIMB:

 
Svilaja.
 


OGORJE-KAPETANOVIĆ STABLES-SVILAJA (1509m), 4 hours.
Start point is village Ogorje. Before school, left turning, continuing asphalt road till the village Mala Milešina (900m),
and on macadam road until Kapetanović stables (2 hours); takes 40 minutes till top.

MILEŠINA-ŠIPOVAC-ROZGIN UMAC (1483),4h 30 min
Start point is village Mala Milešina (900m). Then go on the goat road without signs until ex. Sipovac stables, 1 h 30 min and then to Rozgin umac for another 3 hours.



PRIBUDE-TURJAČA (1340 m); 3 hours
Starting point is village Pribude (650m), on to Odzak stables and top Turjaca.


ZELOVO SINJSKO-KUNAC STABLES-SVILAJA (1509 m); 2h 30 min
From Zelovo Sinjsko (800m) continue on to marked road until Eagle rocks, where mountain hut is in erecting, and on to top of Svilaja (1509 m).


WHOLE DAY TOUR:

 
Svilaja
 
 
Svilaja Bat
 


OGORJE-SVILAJA-ROZGIN UMAC-KITA-ŠUNDOV STABLES-TURJAČA-PRIBUDE-OGORJE

A tour is for experienced and enduring climbers, lasts for about 14 h, and it is nice to camp on one of the many valleys.

 
Last rays of light on Svilaja mountain.
 

 
Svilaja Bat
 

 
Svilaja
 

MOUNTAIN BIKING:

 
Svilaja-Bat
 


For lovers of mountain biking, mountain is very available if you choose gravel road OGORJE-KAPETANOVIĆ-STABLES-LUGARNICA-ŠIPOVAC-VRANOVAC-BUZOVI-PRIBUDE-OGORJE.


It takes for about 6-7 hours.

 
Svilaja - Kijevski Bat
 

 
Svilaja
 

RECOMMENDATION FOR VISITING:

The best time to visit Svilaja is absolutely in the middle of October because of beautiful autumn colors and in the middle of winter because it is possible to enjoy in almost perfect alpine ambience.

Winter climbing is reserved for more advanced alpinists because of very low temperatures (-20 C), but also because of snow clusters which can be 5 m high.


 
Svilaja
 
 
Svilaja
 



 
Svilaja.
 

 
Kamesnica
 

 
Spring&Autumn
 

 
Svilaja.
 




SOME PEAKS OF SVILAJA MOUNTAIN:

SVILAJA (BAT) - 1509 m. ROZGIN UMAC - 1487 m. KITA - 1413 m. and TURJACA - 1340 m.

Other major peaks: Kijevski Bat 1206 m. and Orlove Stine (Eagle Rocks) 1139 m.

Svilaja is middle Dalmatian mountain and it stretches from Sinj’s field to N.W., all the way to Petrovo polje, near Drniš, for about 30 km long. It is a very wide mountain, in its most firmly part is 15 km long.

The road direction Sinj-Muć-Drniš-Vrlika-Sinj follows the mountain.
North side of Svilaja is shortly cut off from river Cetina and Peruća lake. Like every other Dalmatian mountains has Dinaric direction coursing from N.W. – S.E.Dinaric Alps

Hill sides on the S.W. of the mountain slightly lay down and have all characteristics of Dalmatian mountain: Karsts, limestone, flora and fauna.Landscapes to point to are countless karsts sinkholes of all sizes and forms which give the mountain characteristic look of retiring and noble human presence through many centuries.

North side is very much aslope and covered by a beech wood 2001.Svilaja burned down in a big fire, particularly S.W. side, were almost all beech and black hornbeam wood was exterminated.



 
Svilaja
 

 
Svilaja.
 


 
Svilaja.
 
 
Strike from...
 

 
Svilaja-Croatia.
 
 
Turjaca.
 

 
Svilaja mountain
 








CONCLUSION:

Svilaja is mountain easy to climb on, which will on almost amazing, quite and unobtrusive way enter in every part of your being.
Confine you with Dalmatian charm, intoxicating smells of Mediterranean aromatic plants which come from all directions.

Sunny hill sides leaves no one apathetic, and if you are lucky to see wild giant, a leader bull, ambient will win your been.

The view on Adriatic sea and spotless stones with hundred of sunny valleys covered with flowers, green meadows and fresh mountain air.


Yes, Svilaja is mountain that waits for you!!!


P.S. Special thanks to:
-Wolf Bellows (Vučja Mišina)
-Robo
-Sandra
and S.P. members, Saša and Vlado!



 
Svilaja
 

 
Svilaja.
 









Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.