Marmarole

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 46.50800°N / 12.33900°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Scrambling, Via Ferrata, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9619 ft / 2932 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Torre dei Sabbioni
Torre dei Sabbioni



“The wildest group of the Dolomiti”. You can often hear this about the Marmarole when you are in the Dolomiti Orientali, and is probably true.

Somebody could ask how a mountain group like this, composed by wonderful peaks and towers of almost 3000 meters, situated very near popular touristic towns and famous mountains, can be still so wild in the year 2008. There are three main reasons: the first is that all the main summits are difficult to climb and require alpinistic experience. Some of them can be climbed without climbing equipment but you have to be familiar with rock climbing and with wild and isolated places. The second is that the valleys around this dolomitic peaks are deep and almost all the roads are not very good, so the approaches are often long, difficult and strenuous, too much for the modern hikers and climbers. The third reason is that there aren’t much information about this wild summits and whoever come in this area prefers the more safe and advertised ( but also overcrowded ) routes of the nearby mountains around Cortina and Misurina, like the Tre Cime di Lavaredo or the Tofane group. But if you think that the Marmarole are not worth a visit just take a look at them at sunset from the Lago di Centro Cadore or from San Vito and admire the spectacular colours of this fantastic cathedrals of dolomite.

Of course if a broad part of this area is off-limits for tourists and casual hikers it’s not difficult to understand that the Marmarole are a fantastic paradise for “old fashioned” alpinists and real mountain lovers, that can breathe the atmosphere of the first pioneers of the Dolomiti. In this group you can find wonderful classic normal routes, not technically difficult ( usually around the II UIAA degree ) but very challenging because are very long, hard and often not marked. There are also great climbing routes opened by famous rock climbers, like the Livanos routes on the Torre dei Sabbioni and the Corno del Doge.
 

Marmarole
Bel Pra group in Winter



The views that you can enjoy from the summits of this peaks are breathtaking, among the best of the whole group of the Dolomiti. The mountains that you can see from there are countless, but within a range of 30 km you have Antelao, Pelmo , Civetta, Tofane, Croda Rossa d’Ampezzo, Sorapiss, Pomagagnon, Cristallo, Tre Cime di Lavaredo, Cadini di Misurina, Croda dei Toni, Monte Popera, Cima Bagni, Croda Da Campo, Peralba, I Brentoni, Cridola, Spalti di Toro-Monfalconi, Cima dei Preti and Duranno.

This are the mountains of Tiziano, one of the greatest italian painters of the Renaissance, that was born in Pieve di Cadore, just at the feet of them. He loved so much this group that he painted it in one of his most famous masterpieces, “La presentazione della Vergine nel tempio”, a huge painting that can be admired in the museum “Gallerie dell’Accademia” in Venezia. A nice summit ,a bivouac and a famous “Alta via” (a trekking route through the Dolomiti ) are named after him.

The Marmarole are usually put inside a broader group with Antelao and Sorapiss, but I think that it’s better to keep the three separate, because each one of them has its own identity and alpinistic history. And it’s really not fair to consider the imposing summits of this group just “minor” peaks near the two famous dolomitic giants.
 

Dante e Virgilio
Dante e Virgilio



Like many other ranges in the Dolomiti this one also is a fairy tale place, but here you won’t find elves or trolls but other strange inhabitants called Crodares, the sons of the rocks. Ruled by Tanna, a beautiful Queen that lives in a castle of ice, the Crodares are just like men but without feelings, because their heart is made of the same rock of the Marmarole. There are also stories about mythological animals, like the half black and half white chamoix.

The name Marmarole has probably the same root ( celtic ) of the Marmolada and should mean “splendour”.

Geography

Marmarole
From Monte Vedòrcia


This dolomitic group is situated in the north-east of Italy, inside the Dolomiti Orientali, in the area known as Centro Cadore ( Regione Veneto, province of Belluno ). It’s a 13 km ridge ( direction east to west ) that is divided in three subgroups: Marmarole Occidentali ( Gruppo del Bel Pra ), Marmarole Centrali and Marmarole Orientali ( Gruppo del Ciastelin ).

The borders are : Val d’Ansiei, Val del Piave, Val d’Oten and Val di San Vito.

The average elevation of this summits is around 2500/2800 m, with three mountains ( Cima Bel Pra, Cima Bastioni and Cimòn del Froppa ) that nearly touch 3000 meters.

The highest summit is the Cimòn del Froppa ( 2932 m ).









Marmarole Occidentali ( Gruppo del Bel Pra )Gruppo del Bel Pra
Marmarole CentraliMarmarole Centrali
Marmarole Orientali ( Gruppo del Ciastelin )Gruppo del Ciastelin



Geology

If you observe well this mountains from every side you can easily understand the complexity of their geological structure. The group originated between 180 and 240 million years ago and is basically a huge syncline situated between two big faults called Linea del Pian di Sera ( N ) and Linea dell’Antelao ( S ).

The central part of the group is composed by Dolomia Principale ( Norian period of the Triassic age ) but all around it you can find stratifications of different kinds of dolomitic rock and limestone of the Triassic and Permian Age.

Once this group would have more glaciers than any other of the Dolomiti ( Ghiacciaio delle Selle, Ghiacciaio del Froppa di Fuori, Ghiacciaio del Froppa di Dentro, Ghiacciaio Meduce di Fuori and Ghiacciaio Meduce di Dentro ) but today are all completely disappeared, like almost all the glaciers of the dolomitic range.

Alpinistic Hystory

The first ascent in the Marmarole was disputed for a while but today is accepted that the alpine guide from Calalzo di Cadore Giovan Battista Toffoli ( known as Tita Petòz ) and the Captain G. Somano climbed in 1867 the highest summit of the group, the Cimòn del Froppa.

Ten years later another guide from the Cadore, L. Cesaletti , climbed solo and unroped one of the most beautiful towers of the group, the Torre dei Sabbioni, overcoming very high difficulties for those years and opening a new era of the dolomitic alpinism.
In the following years famous alpinists like Darmstadter and Zsigismondy and local alpine guides like Orsolina, Siorpaes and the Dimai brothers started to explore the area and climbed the most accessible summits of the group.
Then in the years before the first world war the Fanton brothers ( Umberto, Arturo, Augusto, Paolo, Teresa and Luisa ), the famous pioneers of the dolomitic alpinism, explored this mountains in a systematic way and opened the famous Albergo Marmarole in Calalzo di Cadore, which became a meeting point for the alpinists of those years. Among the brothers Umberto was the strongest and can be considered the real pioneer of this group ( for many is the first italian alpinist ). He was also a pilot of the Italian air force and died very young fighting in the skies above his beloved Dolomiti during the first world war.
In more recent times famous mountaineers like Severino Casara, Ettore Castiglioni and Georges Livanos opened interesting routes in the group but after the sixties this mountains slowly have been forgotten from the modern alpinists.

Cadore

Centro Cadore
Centro Cadore



One of the most loved places of the Italian Eastern Alps, the Cadore is basically all the area around the high riverbed of the river Piave. This river, that springs at the foothills of Monte Peralba, runs between the Dolomiti and the Carnic Alps and is sacred to all the Italians due to the tragic events happened in the last year of the First World War.

After the rout of Caporetto ( 10/24/1917 ), where the Italian army lost more than 10.000 soldiers ( and almost 300.000 had made prisoners ), all northern Italy seemed gone. But with great sacrifice the Italian army managed to set a defense line on the river and, after a year of fierce battles, the november of 1918 won the war in the famous battle of Vittorio Veneto.

This area is well known for its rich history. The first inhabitants of Cadore were probably the Celts ( but there are also rests of the prehistoric men ), that settled in the area probably since the VI century B.C. . Then many populations lived in the Cadore: the Romans, the Erulians, the Ostrogoths, the Bizanthins, the Longobards, the Francs, the Carinthians.

After the dark middle age the area became part of the Republic of Venezia and for centuries its population could live in peace. In the last years of the XVII century the French came and a long period of wars started. The Cadore became soon part of the Austrian-Ungarian empire and for more than a century was a contented area, until it finally became part of the kingdom of Italy ( 1866 ).
During the first world war fierce battles had been fought in the Cadore, especially in the mountains, where there are still many rests of that sad years.

The people of Cadore are famous for their hospitality and laboriousness . The economy of the area, that once was based on the agriculture and on the exploitation of the natural resources of the mountains, today is much helped by the tourism and by the factories of glasses.

Panoramic views

 
Marmarole Centrali



 
Marmarole Orientali

 

 
Gruppo del Bel Pra

 

Marmarole Occidentali ( Gruppo del Bel Pra )


<!Riga separazione>

 



Corno del Doge



mountain elevation normal route first ascent Latitude/Longitude image
Torre dei Sabbioni 2531 m From SW – difficulty around UIAA IV L. Cesaletti, 8/24/1877 46.490/12.232
Torre dei Sabbioni
Cima Bel Pra 2917 m From NW – difficulty around UIAA II L. Pitacco-C. Brandolini-L. Cesaletti, 9/04/1880 46.485/12.240
Cima Bel Pra
Costa Bel Pra 2862 m From the SW crest – difficulty around UIAA II/III Von Roncador-O. Oppel, 8/18/1912 46.492/12.242
Costa Bel Pra
Corno del Doge 2615 m From SE – difficulty around UIAA II A. Armandi Avogli-L. Borziini-G. Croveris, 8/28/1888 46.501/12.249
Corno del Doge
Punta Dina 2526 m From NW ( Forcella San Lorenzo )– difficulty around UIAA II/III E. De Perini-G. Giavi, 8/17/1942 46.480/12.248
Val di Mezzo
Punta Augel 2686 m From NW ( Forcella San Lorenzo )– difficulty around UIAA II/III E. De Perini-G. Giavi, 8/18/1941 46.480/12.253
Val di Mezzo
Cima Scotter 2800 m From NW ( Forcella Cadin )– difficulty around UIAA II E. and O. Lecher-C. Reissig- P. Dimai-S. Siorpaes-A. Dibona, 8/25/1900 46.482/12.262
Pian de lo Scotter
Cima Nosoio 2768 m From the SE face – difficulty around UIAA V A. Bianchini-B. Sandi, 8/17/1942 46.483/12.265
Pian de lo Scotter
Cima Bastioni 2926 m From the NW face – difficulty around UIAA II L. Darmstadter-P. Orsolina-L. Bernard-J.Stabeler, 7/06/1890 46.489/12.268
 I Bastioni
Croda de Marchi 2796 m From NE ( Forcella Vanedel )– difficulty around UIAA I/II U. Fanton-G. Errera, 8/1914 46.497/12.264
Croda Rotta
Cima Sòra Casera 2398 m From the N face – difficulty around UIAA II/III L.,P., and A. Fanton, 7/10/1910 46.485/12.276  

 

Marmarole Centrali


<!Riga separazione>

 



Cimòn and Croda Bianca




mountain elevation normal route first ascent Latitude/Longitude image
Torre Frescura unknown From N ( Forcella Croda Rotta )– difficulty around UIAA IV/V L. Cornaviera-U. de Polo, 5/19/1944 46.504/12.272  
Croda Rotta 2632 m From S ( Meduce di Dentro)– difficulty around UIAA II M. Padoa-P. Orsolina, 8/31/1902 46.507/12.271
Croda Rotta
Cresta Vanedel 2725 m From N ( From Pian della Gravina )– difficulty around UIAA III L.,U., and A. Fanton, 8/12/1911 46.503/12.280
Marmarole
Cima Vanedel 2797 m From S ( Val Vanedel)– difficulty around UIAA II/III L. Darmstadter-L. Bernard-J. Stabeler, 7/04/1890 46.501/12.290
Marmarole Centrali
El Mèscol 2413 m From E ( Conca del Meduce di Fuori )– difficulty around UIAA I K. Domènigg-K. G. von Saar, 8/2/1903 46.513/12.485
El Mescol
Cima Pelosana unknown From N ( Forcella Croda Rotta )– difficulty around UIAA IV/V L. -U. Fanton, 10/11/1911 46.500/12.292
Marmarole Centrali
Campanile San Marco 2777 m From the W face – difficulty around UIAA IV M. de Jankovics-A. Dimai-S. Siorpaes, 8/26/1902 46.504/12.288
Campanile San Marco
Cime Orsolina 2803 m From NW ( Meduce di Fuori )– difficulty around UIAA II M. Padoa-G. Orsolina, 8/18/1902 46.502/12.288  
Pala di Meduce 2864 m From NE ( From Forcella Schiavina )– difficulty around UIAA I/II L. Darmstadter-A. Helversen-L. Bernard-P. Orsolina-J. Niederweiser, 7/09/1890 46.503/12.297
Pala di Meduce
Monte Meduce 2402 m From W ( Bivacco Musatti )– difficulty around UIAA I/II unknown 46.516/12.297
Monte Meduce
Cima Schiavina 2782 m From NE ( Bivacco Tiziano )– difficulty around UIAA II/III L. Darmstadter-P. Orsolina-J. Stabeler, 6/13/1891 46.506/12.300
Cima Schiavina
Cima Tiziano 2802 m From W ( Forcella Tiziano )– difficulty around UIAA II E. and O. Lecher-A. Siorpaes-A. Dibona-G. Barbaria, 8/12/1900 46.501/12.299
Marmarole Centrali
Monte Oten 2244 m From S ( Pian della Gravina )– difficulty around UIAA I unknown 46.494/12.299  
Cima Federa 2513 m From S ( Pian della Gravina )– difficulty around UIAA III L. and P. Fanton, 1911 46.498/12.299  
Cime di Vallonga 2742 m From W ( Forcella di Vallonga Ovest )– difficulty around UIAA II L. Darmstadter-J. Stabeler-P. Orsolina, 6/13/1891 46.502/12.309
Monticello
Monticello 2803 m From E ( Forcella Monticello )– difficulty around UIAA II/III E. Zsigismondy-L. Purtscheller, 7/26/1882 46.504/12.316
Monticello
Cime di Valtana 2722 m From NE ( Bivacco Tiziano )– difficulty around UIAA II/III L. Darmstadter-P. Orsolina-J. Stabeler-l. Bernard, 6/14/1891 46.505/12.324
Forcella Jau de la Tana
Punta Anita 2765 m From N ( ghiacciaio di dentro di froppa )– difficulty around UIAA I/II L. and U. Fanton, 9/04/1913 46.504/12.337
Marmarole Occidentali
Monte Froppa 2840 m From N ( Forcella Froppa )– difficulty around UIAA I/II unknown 46.505/12.339
Monte Froppa
Cima Salina 2354 m From S ( Rifugio Chiggiato )– difficulty around UIAA I/II L. and P. Fanton, 1914 46.501/12.338
Val de la Tana
Punta della 68° compagnia alpina 2595 m From S ( Rifugio Chiggiato )– difficulty around UIAA I/II 68° compagnia alpina-G. B. Petoz, 1900 46.507/12.340
Vallon Froppa
Cimòn del Froppa 2932 m From SW ( Forcella Froppa )– difficulty around UIAA II/III G. B. Toffoli-G. Somano, 10/19/1867 46.508/12.339
Cimòn del Froppa
Cima Arduini 2769 m From N ( Bivacco Tiziano )– difficulty around UIAA I/II L. and U. Fanton-G. Chiggiato-R. Levi, 10/14/1913 46.511/12.334
Marmarole Centrali
Cima del Rifugio unknown From N ( Bivacco Tiziano )– difficulty around UIAA I/II L. and U. Fanton-G. Chiggiato-R. Levi, 10/14/1913 46.513/12.330
Cimòn del Froppa
Cima Petoz 2877m From S - difficulty around UIAA I/II G.B. Petoz, 1900 46.509/12.339
Marmarole Occidentali
Punta Teresa 2868 m From W ( Ghiacciaio di Froppa di Fuori )– difficulty around UIAA I/II L., A. and U. Fanton, 9/04/1913 46.511/12.343
Cimòn del Froppa - northern ridge
Le Selle 2851 m From N ( Lastoni delle Marmarole )– difficulty around UIAA I/II L. Orsolina, date unknown 46.514/12.344
Marmarole Centrali
Torre Augusto 2718 m From NW ( Lastoni delle Marmarole )– difficulty around UIAA II/III L., A. and U. Fanton, 9/03/1913 46.515/12.345
Marmarole Centrali
Croda dell’Arbel 2729 m From NW ( Forcella Cadin )– difficulty around UIAA I/II K. Berger-J. Hechenbleikner, 7/22/1903 46.517/12.344
Marmarole Centrali
Croda and Spalla dell’Arbel 2729 m From NW ( Lastoni delle Marmarole )– difficulty around UIAA I/II unknown hunters 46.518/12.346
Cimòn del Froppa - northern ridge
Cima dei Camosci 2673 m From N ( Croda Alta di Somprade )– difficulty around UIAA II L. and U. Fanton-R. Chiggiato-R. Levi, 8/2/1903 46.523/12.343  
Cresta degli Invalidi 2783 m From S – difficulty around UIAA I unknown 46.505/12.543
Vallon Froppa
Croda da Rin 2407 m From the E face– difficulty around UIAA III L. and P. Fanton-A. Berti, 9/07/1926 46.525/12.347  
Croda Alta di Somprade 2646 m From SE ( ghiacciaio delle Selle)– difficulty around UIAA II unknown 46.527/12.337
Croda Alta di Somprade
Croda Bianca 2841 m From the south east edge – difficulty around UIAA III L. Darmstadter-H. Helversen-L. Bernard-V. Innerkofler-J. Stabeler, 6/29/1890 46.505/12.350
Croda Bianca
Campanile Calalzo unknown From the south face – difficulty around UIAA IV M. Giacomelli-G. Bertagnin-M. Girardi 46.508/12.352  
Torrione Libertà unknown From SE – difficulty around UIAA IV E. Toffoli-M. A. Rossi, 8/15/1943 46.508/12.352  
Monte Peronat 2409 m From the W face– difficulty around UIAA III/IV E. Castiglioni-S. Tutino, 7/10/1941 46.505/12.364
Marmarole Occidentali

 

Marmarole Orientali ( Gruppo del Ciastelin )


<!Riga separazione>

 



Ciastelin



mountain elevation normal route first ascent Latitude/Longitude image
Monte Ciastelin 2570 m From S ( From Val Baion )– difficulty around UIAA II/III U. and P. Fanton, 9/6/1906 46.510/12.375
Ciastelin
Campanile Ciastelin 2602 m From NW ( From Val Baion )– difficulty around UIAA II/III F. Darmstadter-J. Stabeler-L. Bernard, 6/28/1890 46.512/12.377
Ciastelin
Cima del Carro Armato 2525 m From S ( Alta Val Baion )– difficulty around UIAA III/IV S. Casara-W. Cavallini, 7/16/1942 46.513/12.377
Gruppo del Ciastelin
Torre walter 2463 m From S ( Alta Val Baion )– difficulty around UIAA V S. Casara-W. Cavallini, 7/16/1942 46.513/12.375  
Punta Granzotto 2443 m From S ( Alta Val Baion )– difficulty around UIAA V S. Casara-W. Cavallini, 7/16/1942 46.514/12.377  
Dente nord di Pomadonna 2463 m From S ( Alta Val Baion )– difficulty around UIAA V F. Steirl-S. Schneider, 7/23/1952 46.515/12.373  
Dente Sud di Pomadonna 2443 m From S ( Alta Val Baion )– difficulty around UIAA IV S. Casara-W. Cavallini, 8/29/1944 46.515/12.373  
Il Pupo 2350 m From NE ( Forcella di San Pietro )– difficulty around UIAA IV O. Olivo-P. Fanton, 8/29/1925 46.513/12.381
 Il Pupo delle Marmarole
Monte Ciarido - Cima Sud Ovest 2504 m From S ( Alta Val Baion )– difficulty around UIAA I/II Fanton brothers 46.514/12.386
Monte Ciarido
Monte Ciarido – Cima Nord Est 2453 m From E ( Forcella San Lorenzo )– difficulty around UIAA I/II Unknown, 9/20/1902 46.516/12.389
Pian dei Buoi
Torre Laura unknown South face– difficulty around UIAA IV G. Segni-M. Segni-U. Bagnaresi, 8/1960 46.514/12.383
Gruppo del Ciastelin
Torre Artù unknown From S ( Alta Val Baion )– difficulty around UIAA V F. Steirl-S. Schneider, 7/23/1952 46.518/12.391
Ciarido group
Torre Pian dei Buoi 2350 m From NE ( Forcella di San Pietro )– difficulty around UIAA IV O. Olivo-P. Fanton, 8/29/1925 46.519/12.391
Ciarido group
Torre San Lorenzo 2504 m From S ( Alta Val Baion )– difficulty around UIAA I/II Fanton brothers 46.521/12.392
Torri del Ciarido
Campanile di Val di Poorse 2443 m From S ( Alta Val Baion )– difficulty around UIAA IV S. Casara-W. Cavallini, 8/29/1944 46.519/12.389  

 

Getting there

You can approach the group from the valley of the river Piave ( South ), the valley of the river Bòite ( East ) and the valley of the river Ansiei ( North ). If you choose the southern and eastern approach you can start from the villages of Lozzo, Pieve , Calalzo, Domegge or San Vito di Cadore.
If you come from the north you can start from Auronzo di Cadore and its surroundings. There are some mountain roads that go up to Pian dei Buoi, Val d’Oten, Val di Poorse and Val di San Vito but they can be in very bad conditions, so is better to ask info in the villages around before to start.

From West: From the Brennero motorway exit Bressanone/Brixen and then San Candido, Cortina d’Ampezzo, Auronzo di Cadore.
Or
Cortina, San Vito, Pieve, Domegge, Lozzo di Cadore.

From East: From the Udine-Tarvisio motorway exit Carnia and then Tolmezzo, Villa Santina, Forni di Sopra, Sappada, Santo Stefano di Cadore and Auronzo di Cadore.
Or
Santo Stefano di Cadore, Lozzo, Domegge,Pieve, San Vito di Cadore.
Or
Villa Santina, Forni di Sopra,Lorenzago, Lozzo, Domegge,Pieve, San Vito di Cadore
Or
Villa Santina, Forni di Sopra,Lorenzago,Auronzo di Cadore

From South: From Venezia to Belluno, Pieve, Domegge, Lozzo, Auronzo di Cadore
Or
Pieve to San Vito di Cadore

When to climb?

The best season for hiking and climbing in the Marmarole group is the summer and the early autumn ( from June to October ). Winter ascents are only for very expert alpinists. Some of the huts can be reached snowshoeing in the winter season.

Veneto weather forecast

Hiking in the group

There are wonderful hiking routes in this group that can offer some of the best views of the whole dolomitic range. But it must be said that almost all this routes are very long and challenging, recommended only to expert and well prepared people, that know well all the possible dangers of the mountain. Another important thing to say is that the weather conditions in this area can change very fast and in case of storms and heavy rains the paths can become very dangerous, so avoid to plan excursions when the weather is not good. Rescues can be very difficult ( if not impossible ) in some areas of this group.
 

Sentiero degli Alpini
Sentiero degli Alpini



description marked path n° hours views to
Sentiero degli Alpini – From Rifugio Chiggiato to Bivacco Tiziano through Forcella Jau de Tana –medium via ferrata 260 8/9 Antelao, Marmarole, Cristallo, Croda Rossa, Dolomiti di Sesto
From Rifugio Chiggiato to Bivacco Tiziano through Forcella Marmarole and Forcella Froppa – difficult hiking route 262-280-260 6 Antelao, Cridola, Spalti di Toro Monfalconi, Marmarole, Cristallo, Croda Rossa, Dolomiti di Sesto
Sentiero della Cengia del Doge – From Rifugio Tre Sorelle to the big ledge of Corno del Doge – easy via ferrata exposed in some parts 226-278-280 6 Cristallo, Sorapiss, Marmarole, Dolomiti di Sesto
Sentiero Amalio del Pra – From Rifugio Ciareido to Forcella di San Pietro – medium via ferrata 346-342-353 3.30 Marmarole, Carnic Alps, Dolomiti di Sesto, Croda Rossa, Cristallo
From Rifugio San Marco to Bivacco Voltolina ( Sentiero Cengia del Doge with different approach ) - easy via ferrata exposed in some parts 226-280-278 4 Pelmo, Antelao, Tofane, Sorapiss, Marmarole, Dolomiti di sesto
Strada Sanmarchi – From bivacco Voltolina to Bivacco Musatti – very challenging hiking path, not always marked, secured in some sections 280 ( alta via n° 5 ) 8 Marmarole, Cristallo, Dolomiti di Sesto
From Rifugio Tre Sorelle to Bivacco Musatti – hiking route with a short secured section 349 3 Marmarole, Dolomiti di Sesto, Cristallo
From Casa Alpina to Bivacco Tiziano – hiking route 357-353 4.30 Marmarole, Dolomiti di Sesto, Carnic Alps
From Rifugio Tre Sorelle to Rifugio San Marco – hiking route 352 3.30 Marmarole, Dolomiti di Sesto, Sorapiss, Antelao, Pelmo

 

Alta Via "Tiziano Vecellio"

This famous trekking goes through some of the wildest places of the Dolomiti, in the groups of the Dolomiti di Sesto and the Marmarole. It’s a 100km trek that goes from Sesto to Pieve di Cadore and can be done in 6 or more days ( several variations can be done ). The part inside the Marmarole is the more demanding, although some sections have been secured with iron ropes. In particular the path called Strada Sanmarchi that goes from Bivacco Musatti to Bivacco Voltolina shouldn’t be underestimated ( several serious accidents have already happened ) and is recommended only to alpinists or very experts hikers.
The views are breathtaking since the beginning, with this trek you have the chance to admire almost all the famous summits of the Dolomiti Orientali ( but also many of the Carnic Alps and Prealps ) from an unusual point of view, in one of the wildest environment you can imagine in the Alps.

Hiking in the MarmaroleCadini and Tre Cime





day from to path n° hours views
1 Sesto Rifugio Fondo Valle-Rifugio Zsgismondy Comici-Forcella Giralba-Rifugio Carducci 102/103 4 Tre Scarperi group, Popera group, Cima Una group, Croda dei Toni group
2 Rifugio Carducci Val d’Ansiei-Tablà da Rin-Forcella Paradiso-Rifugio Ciareido 103/109/270/273/272 5 Croda dei Toni group-Popera group-Marmarole group-Cristallo group-Carnic Alps and Prealps
3 Rifugio Ciareido Rifugio Baion E. Boni-Rifugio Chiggiato-Forcella Jau de Tana-Bivacco Tiziano 272/262/260 8 Carnic Alps and Prealps-Antelao-Pelmo-Civetta-Marmarole group-Cristallo group-Tre Cime di Lavaredo- Croda Rossa group -Croda dei Toni group-Popera group
4 Bivacco Tiziano Bivacco Musatti-Bivacco Voltolina 280 10 Marmarole group-Cristallo group-Tre Cime di Lavaredo- Croda Rossa group - Cadini di Misurina-Croda dei Toni group-Popera group
5 Bivacco Voltolina Rifugio San Marco-Rifugio Galassi 280/226/227 4 Marmarole group-Cadini di Misurina- Croda dei Toni group-Popera group-Sorapiss group-Pelmo- Antelao
6 Rifugio Galassi Rifugio Antelao-Pieve di Cadore 250/252 8 Marmarole group-Sorapiss group-Antelao-Pelmo-Tofane-Carnic Alps and Prealps

 

Climbing routes

There are interesting climbing routes in the Marmarole, but very few have been often repeated. Here’s a short list of the most known:
 

Campanile San Marco - Via Bianchi-Urban
Via Bianchi-Urban




route summit difficulty elevation gain
Via Olivo Il Pupo delle Marmarole IV+ 130 m
Cresta Fanton Croda Bianca III 650 m
Via del Negro Torre Pian dei Buoi IV+ 160 m
Via Cadorin-Scandolin Croda Bianca IV+ 550 m
Via Cesaletti Torre dei Sabbioni IV 170 m
Via Bianchi-Urban Campanile San Marco IV 550 m

 

Huts and Bivouacs

There are some nice alpine huts on the southern and eastern slopes of the group, but in the very heart of the group there are only four bivouacs.

Rifugio Baion E. BoniRifugio Baion

 

Huts

</no format>

mountain hut valley elevation how to get there owned by Tel. number
Rifugio Scotter-Palatini Col Negro 1580 m From San Vito di Cadore 2 kms by car and then you have to take the chairlift to the hut. It can also be reached by car from 6.30 p.m to 7.30 a.m. ( not asphalted road in bad conditions ) Private 0436.99035
Rifugio San Marco Sothern slopes of Cima Bel Pra 1823 m 20/30 minutes from Rifugio Scotter-Palatini CAI Venezia 0436.9444
Rifugio Galassi Col Negro 2018 m 1 hour and 30 minutes either from Capanna degli Alpini ( path n°255 ) or from Rifugio Scotter Palatini ( path n° 229-227 ) CAI Mestre 0436.9485
Capanna degli Alpini Val d’Oten 1395 m By car from Calalzo di Cadore. From Praciadelan not asphalted road Private 0435.31103
Rifugio Chiggiato Col Negro 1911 m From Calalzo di Cadore 7 kms by car through Val D’oten and then 2 hours from the village Praciadelan ( path n°260 ) CAI Venezia 0436.31452
Rifugio Baion E. Boni Col di San Pietro 1828 m From Lozzo di Cadore 17 kms by car. The road is very narrow and not asphalted in the last part. During the summer months you can go only up from 9 to 14 and only down from 14 to 17 CAI Domegge di Cadore 0435.76060
Rifugio Ciareido Alta Val Baion 1969 m From Lozzo di Cadore 15 kms by car to Pian dei Buoi and the 30 minutes to the hut CAI Lozzo di Cadore 0435.76276


 

Bivacco Leo Voltolina
Bivacco Voltolina



Bivouacs

</no format>

name elevation place
Bivacco Fratelli Fanton 1769 south western slopes of Ciastelin
Bivacco Tiziano 2246 Lastoni delle Marmarole
Bivacco Voltolina 2082 Val di Mezzo
Bivacco Alberto Musatti 2111 Meduce di Fuori

 

Accomodation

This is a wild group but very near popular touristic towns like Auronzo di Cadore, Cortina d’Ampezzo and San Vito di Cadore, so you won’t have problems to find lodging in this area ( just remember that in the summer months and during the Christmas holydays it’s better to book in advance ).
Pieve di cadore hotels
Auronzo di Cadore hotels
Calalzo di Cadore hotels
Camping Domegge
Domegge di cadore hotels
>San Vito di Cadore hotels
Cortina d’Ampezzo hotels

Maps and Books

<i>Luca Visentini</i><br> Antelao Sorapiss Marmarole


Tabacco maps 1:25000
016 Dolomiti di Centro Cadore

A. and C. Berti - Dolomiti Orientali vol. II - C.A.I. - T.C.I.
G.Buscaini – Le Dolomiti Orientali - Zanichelli
J.Gilbert – G.C. Churchill - Montagne Dolomitiche – Nuovi sentieri editore
Antelao, Sorapiss e Marmarole – Luca Visentini - Athesia
G. Buscaini, S. Metzeltin - Dolomiti. Il grande libro delle vie normali – Zanichelli Editore
H. Kammerer, R. Goedeke – I 3000 delle Dolomiti – Tappeiner



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.