Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.17710°N / 9.54919°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 6594 ft / 2010 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Middle CorninoTaking a rest at the base of the middle Cornino

The Tre Cornini is a group of three small towers (-> name), which is located a little above the timberline on a ridge high above Valtellina / Veltlin. Rather not known for its own beauty, the group’s exposed location ensures commanding views all around. At 2021m the three towers look down for almost 1800m onto the city of Morbegno, which is cradled in a bend of Valtellina Valley with the Alpi Orobie all around. Even more striking is the westward view across Lago di Como and the Alpi Lepontine to the 4000ers of the Valais and Bernese Alps.
Tre Cornini
Two of the Tre Cornini
Topmost Cornino

Geographically the Tre Cornini belong to the Val Massino Alps / Bergeller Alpen though they lack the impressive heights of their immediate neighbours. Still the three towers are made up from the same kind of grey granite so abundant in the group. Neither of the towers exceeds 40m when measured from the surrounding ridge. Yet the steepness of the slopes increases exposure significantly.
Monte Rosa
Pizzo Alto (2512m), Monte Legnone (2609m)
Alphubel (4206m), Täschhorn (4491m), Dom (4545m), Lenzspitze (4294m), Nadelhorn (4327m), Weissmies (4023m), Lagginhorn (4010m), Fletschhorn (3993m)

The route to Tre Cornini is straightforward but nevertheless scales some 1000m of elevation. It starts at the hamlet Poira di Dentro on the north slopes of Valtellina / Veltlin and heads for Alpe Pre Soccio, a summer grazing pasture. From there a narrow mountain path follows a creek towards the massive cirque of Cima de Malvedello, from where it heads to the Tre Cornini in a wide sweeping bend. In case you feel like climbing another 600m you can more or less easily reach the summit of Croce Gam (2585m) by hiking the ridge upwards from Tre Cornini. Only the topmost part of this variation is exposed (very) and difficult (a little).
Lonesome horse
Monte Legnone above Lago di Como
Tre Cornini

If they weren't so remote, the Tre Cornini would be a good sport climbing destination. They are made up from the finest granite and could offer routes of any diffculty level. However, most probably only the highest of the three towers is regularly climbed. When climbed from the north - from the upper part of the Croce Gam south ridge, on which the Tre Cornini are located - reaching the top is little more than a scramble across granite blocks. The crux is a steep slab, which must be traversed and the rating would be something like IV-.

Panoramic View

View across Valtellina towards the Alpi Orobie

Getting There

The  cirque of Cima de MalvedelloThe Cirque of Cima Malvedello

The trailhead for Tre Cornini is at the hamlet Poira to the north of Veltlin / Valtellina, close to the valley mouth at Lago di Como.

  • From Milano take SS36 passing Monza and Lecco along the eastern shore of Lago di Como
  • After Curcio switch to SS38 into Valtellina / Veltlin
  • At the big roundabout at the end of the four laned section of SS38 follow the signs to Morbegno.
  • After a second roundabout look for SP4 bis turning off left (north) towards Traona
  • After crossing the Adda River turn right (east) in Traona onto SP4
  • Turn left (north) again directly onto SP10 towards Mello
  • Drive through Consiglio and Mello until you reach Cilio
  • Turn left onto a narrow mountain road which will take you throgh Roncaglia to Poira.

Red Tape

Mother and DaughterMother and Daughter Donkey near Malga Pre Soccio

There's no red tape to speak of. As usual in the Alps you will cross fences with gates as horses and donkeys are grazing on the meadows of the mountains. Be sure to close any of the gates after hiking through.

Weather Conditions

Valais Alps seen from Tre Cornini


Accommodation

Alpe Pre SoccioMalga Pre Soccio

Maps & Books

Maps


  • Digital Maps
  • Regular Maps
    • Lecco, Val Brembana
      Kompass Map WK105
      Kompass Verlag
      1:500000
      ISBN: 978-3-85026-463-1


Books


  • Veltlin
    Reto Solèr, Maria Schabel
    Rother Verlag
    ISBN: 978-3-7633-4373-7
  • Comer See
    Eugen E. Hüsler
    Rother Verlag
    ISBN: 978-3-7633-4040-8