Zinseler / Cima di Stilves

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.84070°N / 11.44295°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7946 ft / 2422 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The village of Telfes with Zinseler in the backgroundThe village of Telfes and Zinseler / Cima di Stilves

Zinseler / Cima di Stilves is another one of the cornerstone mountaiins rising directly out of the Sterzing / Vipiteno Basin. Like Roßkopf / Monte Cavallo and Mareiter Stein / Sasso di Mareta which terminate the two southernmost Stubai Alps ridges and Saun, which terminates the Tux Main Ridge of the Zillertal Alps Zinseler is the last of the mountains of the north-eastern Sarntal Alps. Like its brethren on the other sides of the valley it rises for more than 1000m (in fact for about 1500m) out of the broad basin itself.

As a climbing objective Zinseler is an easy destination, as it is located very close to the Penser Joch Saddle / Passo di Pennes and can be reached in slightly more than one hour. Therefore it can be (and often is) combined with Sarner Weißhorn / Corno Bianco Sarentino on the other side of the saddle. Between the two mountains lie three more summits, Hühnerspiel / Cima Specola, Ganskragenspitze / Punta di Campo and Röthenspitze / Punta Roossa so that you can bag five summits with just 800m - 900m elevation gain.

A very interesting alternative is to climb the mountain from Sterzing / Vipiteno itself. After jogging up a mountain dirt roadyou reach the Zinseler North ridge just above the timberline, where you can bag an additional summit, Mandlseitejoch / Monte Mandola. The traverse between the two summits is quite exposed and already offers great views all around.

Zinser also is a popular ski tour destination in winter, mostly climbed through the Gospeneid Valley / Valle di Caspineto. The photographic results of one such tour can be admired in the next section.

Summit Panorama

RinnerspitzeSprinzenwandSchneeb. WeißenBotzerHochgewändSonklarsp.ZuckerhütlWilder PfaffBecherWilder FreigerRuderhofsp.Agglssp.Westl. FeuersteinÖstl. FeuersteinLorenzsp.HocheckSchneesp.Maurersp.Wettersp.Schafkampsp.Telfer WeißenWeißwandHoher ZahnPlerscher PingglGoldkapplRoßkopfPflerscher TribulaunGschnitzer TribulaunSchwarze WandNördl. RoßlaufSüdl. RoßlaufKirchdachGrubenkopfKesselspitzeGeierskragen SerlesHoher Lorenzen
Panorama of the Stubai Alps Main Ridge by Viktor Stuffer. Hide / Show labels

Getting There

Hühnerspiel (2357m) and Zinseler (2422m)Hühnerspiel and Zinseler in front of the Tribulaun Group

The mountain can be easily reached from the Brenner Motorway A22. Take the exit Sterzing / Vipiteno and follow the signs for SS508 in direction Penser Joch / Passo di Pennes.

For the tour along the north ridge leave SS508 right at its beginning (at the motorway toll station and drive up a narrow mountain road to the hamlet Gupp.Park at the bar and take the road further on upwards. It ends at the timberline where the ridge traverse starts.

Red Tape

There is no red tape here except for the camping regulations. You are not allowed to freely camp anywhere except in the official campgrounds. There is one quite close at the northern base of the mountain at Gastein / Casatteia. Another possibility is to camp in the vicinity of the toll station of the Brenner Motorway.

Accommodation

Rooms and Apartments



Eisacktal / Valle Isarco
Passeiertal / Val Passiria

Camping


  • The closest campground is at Gasteig / Casateia in Ratschingstal / Valle di Racines to the north of the mountain. The campground is called "Gilfenklamm" and is located on SS44 to Jaufenpass / Passo del Giovo.


Huts


  • There are no real huts close by but you can use the hotel/restaurant at Penser Joch / Passo di Pennes. Also in Pens / Pennes to the south of the mountain several inns can be found.

Weather Conditions

Leaden Skies: the Pfunderer Berge Group seen from Zinseler


Maps & Books

Maps

  • Digital Maps
  • Regular Maps
    • Sarntal/Val Sarentino
      Kompass Map WK 056
      1:35.000
      ISBN: 3-85491-340-0
    • Sterzing / Vipiteno
      Kompass Map WK 44
      1:50.000
      ISBN: 3-85491-050-9
    • Brixen / Bressanone
      Kompass Map WK 56
      1:50.000
      ISBN: 3-85491-063-0
    • MONTE SARENTINI / SARNTALER ALPEN
      Tabacco Map 040
      1:25.000
    • VIPITENO-ALPI BREONIE / STERZING - STUBAIER ALPEN
      Tabacco Map 038
      1:25.000


Books


  • Meran-Burggrafenamt
    Franziska Baumann
    Kompass Guidebook WF951
    Kompass Verlag
    ISBN: 3-85491-386-9
  • Rund um Sterzing
    Henriette Klier / Walter Klier
    Rother Verlag
    ISBN: 3-7633-4167-6
  • Rund um Meran
    Henriette Klier
    Rother Verlag
    ISBN: 3-7633-4290-7