Sulzspitze / Cima Sulz

Sulzspitze / Cima Sulz

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.79089°N / 11.49067°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8438 ft / 2572 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sulzspitze / Cima SulzSulzspitze / Cima Sulz seen from the Tagewaldhorn north ridge

Sulzspitze is one of the summits located in the Tramin Group in the north-east of the Sarntal Alps / Monti Sarentini. Its bases can be easily reached, either from Penser Joch / Passo di Pennes or from Grasstein / Le Cave in the Eisacktal Valley, Valle Isarco. The summit, however, is a different affair. The only way to reach it is the mountain's north-eastern ridge, a chossy slope which ends in an exposed crest, leading to the top. In the end you are awarded great views of the surrounding alpine groups, most significantly the Stubai Alps, Zillertal Alps and Western Dolomites.

Sulzspitze is rarely climbed, mainly because the huge elevation gain of 1500m on its normal route. Also, the easier summit of Tatschspitze / Montaccio di Pennes is located directly to the north and the similarily precarious Tagewaldhorn / Corno di Tramin can be found directly to its south. The route is often very exposed which - together with the chossy quality of the crest makes the climb rather uncomfortable. On the other hand, the summit itself is very beautiful to behold, especially when seen from Tagewaldhorn or from Traminscharte. From this side (south) it looks like a fine cone shaped pyramid.

The first part of this normal route is a well used hiking trail, from Grasstein Le Cave in Eisacktal Valley / Valle Isarco to the east. It leads to Puntleider See, where two trails lead to the two neighbours, Tatschspitze and Tagewaldhorn. The Sulzspitze ascent heads up right in the middle, evading the summit of Schönjoch / Giogo Bello. It is marked by cairns but sparsely. The maps, listed below don't show this route though the map in the guidebook (also listed below) does.

In winter Sulzspitze is the destination of a ski tour from Penser Tal / Valle di Pennes, that is from the western side of the mountain.

Summit views

Nebelseespitze (2516m)Nebelseespitze

Sulzspitze is a great lookout summit though my pictures don't really show it due to the weather:-(

Getting There

The Sulzspitze north ridgeSulzspitze / Cima Sulz as seen from Niedereck / Dosso Basso

Sulzspitze / Cima di Sulz can be easily reached from the Brenner Motorway A22. Leave it at Sterzing / Vipiteno and head for the highway SS12 heading south to Brixen / Bressanone. At Grasstein / Le Cave leave the highway and drive through the village. Approximately 200m after the last houses the road is closed. Here you can find a small parking lot with signs leading to Puntleider See (marked #14).

Red Tape

Sulzspitze / Cima SulzSulzspitze / Cima Sulz as seen from the west
There is no red tape in the Sarntal Alps though free camping near the lake is not allowed. Rather make use of the inns in Eisacktal Valley or of the campgrounds and hotels near Sterzing.

Accommodation

See the following links for rooms and apartments
  • Sterzing / Vipiteno
  • Brixen / Bressanone

    Weather Conditions


    Maps & Books

    Maps

    • Digital Maps
    • Regular Maps
      • Sarntal/Val Sarentino
        Kompass Map WK 056
        1:35.000
        ISBN: 3-85491-340-0
      • Sterzing / Vipiteno
        Kompass Map WK 44
        1:50.000
        ISBN: 3-85491-050-9
      • Brixen / Bressanone
        Kompass Map WK 56
        1:50.000
        ISBN: 3-85491-063-0
      • MONTE SARENTINI / SARNTALER ALPEN
        Tabacco Map 040
        1:25.000


    Books



    • Rund um Sterzing
      Henriette Klier / Walter Klier
      Rother Verlag
      ISBN: 3-7633-4167-6
    • Rund um Meran
      Henriette Klier
      Rother Verlag
      ISBN: 3-7633-4290-7



  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.