Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.66568°N / 78.57413°W
Additional Information County: Page
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2661 ft / 811 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Situated at the southern end of Massanutten Mountain near New Market Gap, Strickler Knob rises over 2000 feet above Luray Valley to its East. The summit offers incredible views of New Market Gap, Hawksbill, Stony Man, and Mary's Rock. The last quarter mile of the Strickler Knob Trail offers some short but exciting scrambling. Though the scrambling is not anything like Old Rag Mountain it does have one advantage over Old Rag and Bearfence. Crowds. This appears to be a seldom traveled trail and therefore lends itself to being a great destination for some solitude.
View East from summitLooking due East towards Stony Man and Hawksbill from summit blocks. (January 17th, 2009)

Getting There

From I81 take exit 264 (New Market and highway 211). Follow 211 East through New Market and ascend New Market Gap. Just before the top of the ridge on the left is Forestry Development Road 274 (~4.3 miles from I81). This road is also known as Crisman Hollow Rd and old VA211. Follow Crisman Hollow Road to either the Massanutten Trailhead or the Scothorn Gap Trailhead for access to Strickler Knob.

Red Tape

Crisman Hollow Rd (FR 274) is typically temporarily closed from mid-January to mid-March. Check here for up to date road closures for the Lee Ranger District.

External Links

Weather information from NOAA

Road Closure information for the Lee Ranger District

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Massanutten MountainMountains & Rocks