The Cobbler ( Ben Arthur )

The Cobbler ( Ben Arthur )

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 56.21280°N / 4.8088°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Mixed, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2900 ft / 884 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Why is it so special:-

Ben Arthur or more commonly known as The Cobbler

Is not the highest of the summits within in the Arrochar Range but the main reason this summit gets the attention and status amongst the rest of the range is due to its stunning rock formations when viewed from the town of Arrochar and the east side of the mountain in general.

THE APPROACH FROM THE WEIR AND OLD DAM
Ben Arthurs Rocky SummitThe Cobbler as seen in its full glory




























The main summit rocks when seen from the correct angle are suppose to give the impression of a cobbler at his work bench...!
The true name for this mountain is Ben Arthur but due to this supposed impression gets more commonly called The Cobbler.
This is a very commonly climbed summit and the easiest route up from the west side of Loch Long near Arrochar is very casual and has no difficulties what so ever and makes a very pleasent day whatever the weather.
The easy route to the summit is a simple yet steep track up the North West side but if you want rocks scrambling and excitement to add to your walk then take the scramble up through the rocks of the east face.

THE EAST FACE SCRAMBLE
The east scrambleThe view heading up the scramble of the east face rocks





Ben Arthur can be combined into a days trek including the neighbouring Munro summits of Bein Ime at 1011metres and Beinn Narnain at 926metres
The walk to cover all these summits starts at almost sea level next to Loch Long and believe me it is quite a trek to cover these three summits.
The weather can change dramatically very quickly and you should always be prepared for the worst even on a sunny day...

















Bein Ime, Beinn Narnain and Ben Lomond
as seen from Ben Arthurs Summit


These pictures are also on my album called
Summits from Summits


Below are some of the summits crazy rock formations




Ben Arthur + Bein Ime and Narnain Map1:50.000 map Ben Arthur including Beinn Ime and Narnain


This map has the most common route up to Ben Arthur dotted in red and if you wish to combine Bein Ime and Bein Narnain the route is then dotted in blue.

The summit of Ben Arthur commands some fine views and these are some of the larger summits visible.
Bein Ime, Bein Narnain, Ben Cruachan, The Black Mount Range, Ben More and some of the Crianlarich Hills, Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin in the Lochearnhead region, Ben Lomond, Ben Donich and then the Knapdale and Kintyre region.
Quite a view of hills to be seen on a fine day.
Just hope when you go you get the stunning weather i had even though it was November 2005 and dam cold at -6degress Celsius with icicles hanging off the rivers and streams.

Getting There

The route to access Ben Arthur and its Neighbours is easy...

From the city of Glasgow

You take the M8-Motorway westbound for Greenock then take the Erskine bridge north onto the famous A82 Road north signposted for Crianlarich. When you come along side the large mass of water known as Loch Lomond there is another main road about 29miles from the Erskine bridge in a village called Tarbet. This road is called the A83 and signposted for Campbeltown. Turn left along this road and Arrochar is the next village about 2miles away.
Continue on the A83 for another 1-2miles towards Inveraray and Campbeltown then when on the west side of Loch Long there is ample parking within easy reach of all main routes up.

From the North Fort William etc

Just take the main A82 all the way south and pass Crianlarich head for Glasgow but take the A83 for Campbeltown on a right turn and follow to Arrochar from there.

From the East

The A85 is the main road across from Perth via Crieff, Comrie, Lochearnhead and Crianlarich.
From Crianlarich head south on the A82 and turn right on to the A83 as given above.


Arrochar Area Map

A Main Route road map for all approaches to Arrochar

THE MAIN ROADS AND FROM WHICH TOWNS AND CITIES

A82 - North From Glasgow
A82 - South From Crianlarich
A83 - North & East From Cambeltown
A85 - West From Perth then A82 - South From Crianlarich
A85 - East From Oban then A82 - South From Tyndrum and Crianlarich.

Below is an embedded Google Map of Arrochar with links so as to find your way there


View Larger Map

Red Tape

Free to rome applies for this area.

The area is all free access land and as long as there is no climbing over and damaging fences or taking shortcuts through peoples gardens you are ok...!

When To Climb

People do this summit in all seasons and also combine the other 2summits of Bein Ime at 1011metres and Ben Narnain at 926metres in a days trek. It has easy routes up that are where you pass the main view of the rock formations near to the Narnain Boulders and take the stepped out route up the summits North west side avoiding the main scramble. To include the scramble you just take the obvious route that heads direct to the area with all the rock formations visible.
As mentioned dependant on your skills take what route suits you...
The scramble can be difficult in very icy conditions and climbing to the top of the summit rock should also be avoided in these conditions...!

Select the outdoors link on this site and all is revealed about many scottish summits including The Cobbler via This Link.

This is another website that gives good detail on the most common Cobbler Walks...!

Camping and Accomodation

There are many areas within Arrochar to camp to many to state. And as for camping on the summits its common land so camping is ok in the summits vacinity.
Arrochar is also a small tourist town and has many hotels along with Bed and Breakfasts and the pubs in the area with great service and lovely meals.

Some Links for local Arrochar details:-

Bed and Breakfasts
Scottish accommodation index - For Arrochar
Fascadail HouseFascadail House
Fascadail House ViewsFascadail Views

In the above web page there is a Bed and Breakfast called Fascadail House. This is a stunning Bed and Breakfast and it was here where I was staying when I did my Cobbler trek.
The views from this Bed and Breakfast look over the Loch towards The Cobbler itself.

Fascadail House
If you wish to try Fascadail House follow the link below.
Fascadail House

Camping and Caravan
www.ukcampsite.co.uk - For Arrochar area

Scottish Youth Hostel Association
Scottish Youth Hostel Association

Mountain Conditions

For the weather conditions you can go via this link
Arrochar BBC 5-Day weather forecast.
As explained before the weather conditions on these summits can change quick so be prepared.
Like me always take the correct kit with you even on the nicest days and always take a First Aid kit.
Use of GPS Systems and these fancy new off road Sat Nav systems is OK but it takes part of that fun involved in negotiating the summits.

External Links

Some of these links may be of use to you for Arrochar along with Argyll and Bute:-

Argyll and Bute Council
www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/

About Britain - Arrochar
Some interesting information is available via this site.
About Britain - For Arochar

Argyll and Bute - Arrochar Tourist Information

Ardgartan
Arrochar
Argyll and Bute
G83 7AR

Phone:- +44 (0)1301 702432
Seasonal

Arrochar Tourist Information
Argyll and But Tourist Information

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.