Beehive Buttress, 5.easy-5.11d

Beehive Buttress, 5.easy-5.11d

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.22900°N / 105.409°W
Activities Activities: Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8793 ft / 2680 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Vedauwoo is best known for stiff grades, off-widths, and suffering, but Beehive Buttress is a bit of an anomaly compared to the rest of the area. Unlike the norm, it's mostly closely bolted face climbing. With routes from 5.easy to 5.11d, there's something for everyone here. This includes multi-pitch routes from 2 to 4 pitches.

Getting There

Exit I-80 at the Lincoln Memorial and rest area. Take the unpaved Blair-Wallis Road northeast for a bit and turn left onto 705J. This road can be a little rough but usually is passable for regular passenger cars drive carefully. Park where the road dead-ends with a nice view of Beehive.

Routes

Most routes here are single-pitch and range from 5.6 to 5.11d. In recent years, though, some new, easier routes have been added at the left end. They are on low-angle slabs, but some of them are the first of up to 4 pitches that can get up to 5.10a.

If you climb one of the multi-pitches, you'll have to rappel to descend. A single 70 will cover you.

The MP page is a bit of a mess but will help you navigate better than anything else will right now.

 

Easy Slabs
Easy Slabs
Summit View
Summit View
5.7 Route
5.7 Route
Heather on a 5.8
Heather on a 5.8

Red Tape

None

When to Climb

Late spring through early fall

Camping

There is a nice campsite at road's end, and there are others on the way in. Dispersed camping is widely available in the area.