Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.71343°N / 0.51506°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10039 ft / 3060 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Quayrat and LézatQuayrat & Lézat
Petit QuayratPetit Quayrat

The Grand Quayrat, or simply Quayrat, it's an important peak of the Cirque d’Espingo, the mountains what surround the Lac d’Espingo in valley of Astau (area of Luchon in French Pyrenees). The spectacular and dark silhouette that we contemplate from the Refuge d’Espingo, it not hidden that any route is easy and even the normal route presents steps of I + and II- with very air terraces. It's a mountain only for mountaineers with some of experience in rock-climb of II. It's not really difficult but it's impressive for the people without experience. The routes to these wilds mountains are always difficult to follow because the routes turn in some different directions to round the difficulties. Normally the peak is climbed from the Refuge d’Espingo, it's the shortest and most direct route, but it exist another route from the Refuge de Maupas, longest.

It exist another Quayrat, the Petit Quayrat (2860m), a less important peak in the north of Grand Quayrat.

Routes:
-Refuge d’Espingo-ridge North (F+): normal.
-Refuge de Maupas or Coume de Bourg-ridge North (F+): long route, the itinerary entry in a little col in the north of the normal route.
-Ridge Lézat-Quayrat (AD): 2 rock-climbs of III+, rappel necessary.

Getting There

Trailheads: Granges d’Astau.

Access to Granges d’Astau:
-French: the approach to the village of Montréjeau had good highways. The access to Montréjeau is in the road A-64 (E-80) between Tarbes and Toulousse. From Montréjeau we’ll follow to Bagnères de Luchon. In Luchon we’ll follow the signals “Col de Peyresourde”. After 2-3 km in the village of Cazeaux de Larboust is the entry to the road of Granges d’Astau (1160m).

-Spanish: the access is possible at West in tunnel of Bielsa, or at the East, in the tunnel of Vielha.

-Approach to Bielsa
: from Huesca to Ainsa. In Bielsa you’ll take the tunnel of Aragnouet-Bielsa to France. It’s necessary to reach the village of Arreau to turn to the east to Val Louron, the first valley of Luchon, or following across the Col of Peyresourde (1569m) and before of Bagnères de Luchon is the access (see above).

-Approach to Vielha
: from the city of Lleida to village of Pont de Suert (N-230), and across the tunnel of Vielha you’ll entry in valley of Aran. Before the village of Bosost is the road to Col du Portillon (1293m) to cross the border to France. The road D-618 go directly to Bagnères-de-Luchon.

Red Tape

The reserve in the refuge is advisable (80 places)

Camping

Camping it's not allowed.

Refuge de Espingo (80 places, CAF)
Refuge du Portillon (80 places, CAF)

The best option to climb is the Refuge d'Espingo, but if you make a traverse from Benasque it's a very good option the night in the Refuge du Portillon (route longest but with link with the normal route from Espingo).

Refuge de Maupas
(35 places, CAF)

This option had a route longest and not evident but the climb it's possible.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.