Mjølvafjellet (Romdalseggen)

Mjølvafjellet (Romdalseggen)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 62.54192°N / 7.76394°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 3990 ft / 1216 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mjølvafjellet is the highest point along the Romsdalseggen ridge in the Åndalsnes region.    The traverse of the Romsdalseggen ridge is said by many to be the most beautiful hike in all of Norway.   For sure it is a beautiful route and one of the most popular hikes in Norway.   The trailheads are well served by bus service making the logistics of a one way traverse very easy.

 The Åndalsnes region itself is one of the most picturesque regions of Norway and is considered to be the "mountaineering capital of Norway".  While the mountain heights may not seem that high when compared to many other parts of the world, the mountains rise steeply and directly straight out of the ocean.

Some of the most impressive and rugged of the peaks that can be viewed from the Romdalseggen are Store Venjetind, Trollveggen, and of course the Romsdalshorn.

While the traverse across the Romsdalseggen and Mjølvafjellet is non-technical, it's a good scramble and an interesting route.

Mjolvafjellet rises behind this pituresque lake
Mjolvafjellet rises behind this pituresque lake
View from the Romsdalseggen.  Romsdalshorn is just left of center.
View from the Romsdalseggen. Romsdalshorn is just left of center.
View of Isfjorden from the slopes of Mjolvafjellet
View of Isfjorden from the slopes of Mjolvafjellet

Getting There

To Åndalsnes

Getting to Åndalsnes is very easy.  The train is probably the easiest.  The rail line Raumabanen to Åndalsnes goes daily from Oslo (5.5 hours) and Trondheim (4-5 hours).  This is considered to be one of the most beautiful train rides in Norway, and the world.

There are also daily express buses from Trondheim and Bergen, and connecting buses through Oslo.   The road near Åndalsnes is one of the most scenic that I have seen.

To Vengjedalssetra

Most people start the hike at Vengjedalssetra.  The Romsdalseggen bus heads directly to the start of the trail.  The bus departs from Norsk Tindesenter in the centre of Åndalsnes.  Bus service starts daily from mid-June through September.   It is recommended that you book your ticket in advance.  

View from Andelsnes
View from Andelsnes
Store Venjetind as seen from near the beginning of the Romdalseggen Route
Store Venjetind as seen from near the beginning of the Romdalseggen Route

Routes Overview

Romdalseggen Traverse over the Summit of Mjølvafjellet

Most people do the one way traverse over the Romsdalseggen and the summit of Mjølvafjellet.  It is recommended that you take this route only if the weather is good.

As mentioned above, the bus drops you right at the trailhead (Venjedalssetra).  The trail up the Romdalseggen is well marked.   The views are really great all along the way.

At first the trail climbs somewhat steeply up towards the saddle between Storehesten and Mjølvafjellet, but the grade slowly levels off until you reach the saddle.  From the saddle, there is a sign-posted junction.  Go left up the stee trail if you want to reach the Romsdalseggen ridge.   

At the top of the ridge, there is another junction.  The trail to the left heads towards Blånebba and the trail to the right heads for Mjølvafjellet and Åndalsnes.  Go right.  There are great views from all along the ridge.  

Parts of the ridge are steep and have some scrambling, and there are chains to aid the ascent to Mjølvafjellet.  This is the highest summit along the route.

Continuing from the summit of Mjølvafjellet, the ridge becomes less rugged and more gentle, but with one narrow section at a point called Mjølvafjellet.  Continue down the ridge to Nesaksla, which is a minor summit which has a stone cabin known as Ottarbu.   The cabin can provide shelter in a storm.  Nesaksla is where the main Romsdalseggen route joins the Lower Romsdalseggen route (see below).

The last section of the route is down what is called Romsdalstrappa down some rock steps and a trail which leads to Åndalsnes. This section of the route is fairly steep.   Along the way, a fantastic viewpoint and viewing platform is at Rampestreken, but sometimes you have to wait in line to go out on the platform.   From there, it is a trail walk back to Åndalsnes.

The entire hike is about 10 kms long and takes half a day to all day to complete. 

Romsdalseggen Lower Route

This is the recommended route when the weather is bad or windy and is the route we took because it was raining and cloudy for much of the time.  This route is slightly longer than the route over the summit of Mjølvafjellet, but it is easier and less rugged.

See above for directions to the saddle between Storehesten and Mjølvafjellet.  From the saddle, the trail descends through some beautiful alpin country before climbing steeply to the Høgnosa ridge.  

From the Høgnosa ridge, the trail countours a large shelf with great views of Isfjorden below before joing in the main route at Nesaksla (see above for the continuation of the route past Nesaksla).

Other Routes

Another possibility is starting the hike at the town of Isfjorden, but I am unfamiliar with that route.   There are also via ferrata routes on the mountain near Romsdalstrappa.

 

Starting up the Romdalseggen
Starting up the Romdalseggen
Romdalseggen ridge with Mjolvafjellet to the left
Romdalseggen ridge with Mjolvafjellet to the left
Isterdalen valley as seen from the Romsdalseggen
Isterdalen valley as seen from the Romsdalseggen
Andelsnes as viewed from near Nesaksla
Andelsnes as viewed from near Nesaksla
Map of Romsdalseggen and Mjolvafjellet
Map of Romsdalseggen and Mjolvafjellet

Red Tape

There is no red tape here, so please take care of the area.

When to Climb

Most people climb this peak in summer (especially in July and August), though skiing it in winter is possible too.   Be aware that some parts of the routes can have avalanche danger though.  

Mid-July through August are the most popular time on the trails.   Late June to early July and early September are pleasant times to visit since there aren't quite as many people and the weather and conditions are usually good.

The bus to the trailhead runs only from mid-June through September, so if you are there during the off-season, you need to make other arrangements for getting to the trailhead.

Isfjorden as seen from the Romsdalseggen in July
Isfjorden as seen from the Romsdalseggen in July

Camping

There are many places to camp in and around Åndalsnes.  Below are a few of the possibilities.

Åndalsnes Camping

Mjelva Camping

Trolstigen Camping

Soggebru Camping

External Links

Romsdalseggen Hike Description from Visit Norway

Åndalsnes Information from Visit Norway