Walt Bailey Memorial

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.59060°N / 104.715°W
Additional Information Route Type: Rock -Classic Crack
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.9
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the base of the Standard Meadows Rappel, walk right (east) across the South Face Ramp until you are where the Sout and East Face meet. The crack is two cracks left of Hollywood & Vine and 4 cracks right of The Old Stake Ladder. Scramble/climb up to the top of a large block at the base of the crack. A rope on the scramble might be advised; a slip would mean "Big Air" for sure, for sure!!

Route Description


This line was first an aid climb, ascended in 1959 by members of the Casper College Climbing Club and named after one of their members, Walt Bailey, who's Soul left his body somewhere in Alaska. It was later free climbed in 1974 by two very enlightened fellows from Colorado, Jeff Overton and Scott Woodruff. It is a 5-Star Classic and one of the 3 quintessential 5.9's on the Tower (Soler & Assembly Line being the others).

Pitch 1. (160ft, 5.9) Climb off of the top of the block and up towards the anchor bolts, 160 ft away. This is an ever widening crack that starts with fingers and ends with fists. Some climbers find the crux to be in the lower, thin section. Others find the crux to be higher, in the hands section.Wherever you find your crux, it should be well protected, as the crack will accept pieces every 2 feet, so sew it up!! As you clip the anchor bolts at the crack's end, know that your techniques have just been well-tested in every size from tips to fists!! If you're clipping the bolts, you passed the test! Congratulations!!

Essential Gear


Standard rack, with extra finger and hand size pieces. It is a long, long pitch, so make sure that you've got alot of pro before you go......

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.