Ettaler Manndl

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.58400°N / 11.11550°E
Additional Information Elevation: 5357 ft / 1633 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The Ettaler Manndl belongs to the Laberberg subgroup of the Ammergauer Alpen (Ammergauer alps). It is not a difficult mountain, but one of the first mountains that deserves to be called a mountain.
Located at the northern end of the alps, the summit offers beautiful views to the bavarian lakes (Ammersee, Starnbergersee and Staffelsee). Looking south you see the city of Garmisch Partenkirchen and the impressive Zugspitz massif.

The summit is sometimes overcrowded, because it is very easy accessable, not very difficult and despite of its height it offers great views in every direction.
It is very popular amoung climbers because of a lot of climbing routes near the summit.

The easiest way to the top is from Ettal via the Manndlweg. The last 30 metres of altittude difference is an easy via feratta, which is very well secured by a solid chain and some ropes.

Summit views


Despite of its height the summit of Ettaler Manndl offers great views in every direction.

Maps and routes overview


Maps: From Ettal via Manndlweg
You start at the parking lot at the Monastery of Ettal. Follow the "Manndlweg" (trail number 245), which leads you into the forrest and up the Tiefentalgraben, until you reach a crossing. The left trail leads to the Laberjochhaus. Turn right and after a few steps you stand in front of the via feratta to the summit.

From Oberammergau (Labersteig)
Trailhead is the valley station of the Laberbergbahn. Follow trail number 245, which leads you up to the Schartenkopf (1686m) and then to the Laberjochhaus. Don' t turn left on the crossing to Soilsee and you' ll reach the via feratta in a few minutes and the summit soon there after.
Notice from Bryan Benn: "That map [KOMPASS #05 - 1:35000] also now show a Klettersteig on the Labersteig approaching the Schartenkopf. This is not correct, there is just one section where the track has subsided but is still passable by normal hikers like me with or without using the small wire rope set into the adjacent cliff."

It is a nice walk to visit Soilsee after seeing it from the summit. This is just a half a hour walk and you can see Ettaler Manndl from every direction.

Getting There


Trailhead is in Ettal (877m).

By car:
You reach Ettal easily by car via Oberammergau or Oberau on the road B23. From Oberau you have access to the highway to Munich.

By train:
Both Oberammergau and Oberau is connected to the Deutsche Bahn. At both stations a train stops about every hour.

  • From Oberammergau you have to look for signs to the Laberbergbahn the other trailhead.
  • I would prefer the railroad station in Oberau, because drive time is shorter. After a few hundret metres to the west the Enzianweg (gentian path) leads you up to Ettal.

Red Tape


There are no permits, fees or seasonal closures.
Parking in Ettal is free, but the parking lot is not very big. So parking may be a problem on sunny days...

In Oberammergau a cable railway carries you up to the Laberjochhaus (1685m). The Laberberbahn - homepage contains a price list.

When To Climb


Ettaler Manndl is climbed all the year.
In winter the mountain is not very dangerous, because the most of the trail is in the woods. The little via feratta at the trail end may be tricky if it' s icy.
In summer bus-loads are carried to Laberjochhaus by the cable railway and on Ettaler Manndl you see people of any kind (climbers, hikers and people who shouldn' t belong there).

Camping


A capming ground is located in Oberammergau, but I think camping on the mountain is not allowed...
For more information look at the homepage of Oberammergau.

There are two huts on this mountain. The Laberjochhaus and the Soilealm. Both huts have no bedrooms!

Mountain Conditions


Weather:
www.wetter.com offers a detailed weather forecast for Ettal.

Webcam:
Oberammergau webcam - This webcam is located in Oberammergau, looking towards Notkarspitze (1889m) - a mountain very close to Ettaled Manndl. On the left side of the webcam you see the western slopes of Laberberg.

Abbey of Ettal


A very old and beautiful monastery is located in Ettal. It was build 1330. www.kloster-ettal.de

External Links

  • 360° panorama
    This 360° panorama is taken from summit of Ettaler Manndl.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.