Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.02484°N / 122.61184°W
Additional Information County: Marin
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1592 ft / 485 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

North fire road on Loma AltaNorth road up Loma Alta
Marin County Open Space is a great getaway from the metropolitan Bay Area hubbub into the beautiful hills and wetlands north of San Francisco.
Loma Alta is a massive grass covered rolling hill with ranch lands centrally located in northern Marin County that has Open Space approaches from the north and south. This big old hill commands outstanding 360 views of the county and North Bay .






Easy fire roads gradually ascend in just a few miles to this often windswept summit. There are great views of the north flank of Mt. Tamalpais to the south. To the west is Barnabe Mountain, Nicasio Reservoir and the hills of northwestern Marin. Directly north is Big Rick Ridge rising above Lucas Valley and to the east is the vast expanse of the northern Bay Area will Mt. Diablo and the East Bay Hills. The SF skyline also rises off in the distance to the southeast.

Getting There

Mt. Tam from Loma AltaMt. Tam from Loma Alta
From Sir Francis Drake Boulevard: From Hwy. 101 in Greenbrae take the Sir Francis Drake Blvd. exit west. Go 6.4 miles past Fairfax to where the road curves up to a pullout beyond a railing on the right just before the pass that drops down to San Geronimo Valley.
Take the fire road on the right at the end of the bridge. This road drops down a bit. At .2 miles take the fire road that goes up to the left and follow it up about 3/4 mile to a junction. Go left on that fire road .9 miles as it switchbacks up to the south ridge of Loma Alta and follow it to the right on up to the top.
From Lucas Valley Road: From Hwy. 101 In Terra Linda go west on the Lucas Valley Road Exit and drive 6.3 miles through the valley then up to the pass at the big rock. Parking is on the south side. Take the gated fire road to the south that gradually ascends the northeast side of Loma Alta staying to the left at 2 forks until the summit is reached at 2 miles.

Red Tape

Red tape sign
Summer on Loma AltaSummer on Loma Alta with Big Rock Ridge behind.
Large portions of Loma Alta are privately owned ranch lands with grazing cattle.






For more details on this and other Open Space regulations click here.

Camping

Loma Alta from Big Rock RidgeLoma Alta from Big Rock Ridge
Big Rock Ridge from Loma AltaBig Rock Ridge from Loma Alta
There is no camping in the Marin Open Space District.

Weather forecast the San Rafael area

10 Day Forecast click here.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.