Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.07965°N / 122.86843°W
Additional Information County: Marin
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1336 ft / 407 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Black Mtn. from Point Reyes HillBlack Mtn. from Point Reyes Hill
Point Reyes Hill is the second highest mountain (Mt. Wittenberg the highest) on the northern part of the Inverness Ridge along the California coast within the Point Reyes National Seashore. This is a wonderfully remote area with good hiking trails. Being on the coast the Inverness Ridge is thickly covered with pine forests and chaparral due to the abundance of moisture it recieves. The summit itself is a big flat plane with a radio range station on it. You can drive almost all the way to the top from the north or you can make a pleasant hike along Inverness Ridge from the south, or a few trails coming up from the west. Unlike more popular Mt. Wittenberg, Point Reyes Hill is not grown over with trees and has the best views on the Inverness Ridge. To the west is Point Reyes, Drakes Estuary and Drakes Bay. Tomales Bay and the numerous hills of west Marin County are to the east. Mt. Tamalpais is visible on the southeast horizon as well as Mt. St. Helena to the northeast.

Getting There

Point Reyes from Point Reyes HillPoint Reyes from Point Reyes Hill
Drive up from the north: On Sir Francis Drake Highway just south of Point Reyes Station go west .75 miles and turn right. Go north 5.7 miles along the west coast of Tomales Bay through Inverness. The road curves left up to a fork where it branches right to Tomales Point. Go left at the fork 1 mile to a paved road on the left. Follow this switchback road up 3.7 miles to a gated parking area. Hike the road a half mile south to the top of Point Reyes Hill.

For views out to Point Reyes go to the right by the fence surrounding the radio range station to the top of the Bucklin Trail. There is a bench where you can sit and enjoy the view. For views to the east go to the left side of the summit area.

Bayview Trailhead/Inverness Ridge from the south: From just south of Point Reyes Station on Sir Francis Drake Highway go west .75 miles and turn right. Go north .2 miles and turn left on Limantour Road. Follow This road 1.7 miles to the top and park on the right at the Bayview Trailhead. Take the rolling Inverness Ridge Trail north 2.6 miles to Point Reyes Hill with about a 900' gain.

Drakes View Trail: Continue on Limantour Road another 1.8 miles past the Bayview Trailhead parking and turn right .4 mile to the Muddy Hollow trailhead. Take the Bayview (Drakes View) trail east .5 mile. Go left on the Drakes View Trail 2 miles up to the Inverness Ridge Trail. Go right 1.3 miles to Point Reyes Hill. Approximately 1,400' gain.

Bucklin Trail: From the Muddy Hollow Trailhead take the Muddy Hollow Road .8 miles to the Bucklin Trail. Go right up 2.4 miles to Point Reyes Hill. Approximately 1,300' gain.

Red Tape

Inverness Ridge TrailInverness Ridge Trail
There are no fees for day hiking in this area. Heed no tresspassing signs at the radio range on Point Reyes Hill. The Inverness Ridge Trail passes by private property so please stay on the designated trail.

Note: Point Reyes National Seashore is the foggiest area on the California coast especially in summer. If you want views take this into account and check the weather.

Camping

South from Point Reyes HillSouth to Mt. Wittenberg from Point Reyes Hill
Backcountry camping info can be found here.
Campground info can be found here.

7 day weather forecast

Point Reyes Hill east pano.East panorama from Point Reyes Hill
Across Tomales BayAcross Tomales Bay to Mt. St Helena
For the 7 day forecast in the Point Reyes area click here.