Pine Mountain (Marin County)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.98107°N / 122.63575°W
Additional Information County: Marin
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1762 ft / 537 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Birthplace of Mountain Biking
Repack Road
 
Pine Mtn. Ridge and Pine Mtn. from the Bolinas Ridge
Pine Mtn. Ridge and Pine Mtn. from the Bolinas Ridge
This little old Pine Mountain just north of Mt. Tamalpais, one of many Pine Mountains scattered around California and the country has the distinction of being the (drum roll): birthplace of mountain biking!
On October 21, 1976 ten riders raced down a gnarly fire road on the northeast side of the mountain later officially named Repack Road. Sporting traditional balloon tire one speed "clunkers" they descended 1,300' in about 5 minutes. Alan Bonds was the only finisher! The name Repack came from the fact that they had to repack the hubs afterwards because the brakes would way overheat.
Enter Gary Fisher and Charles Kelly. By 1979 these 2 competitors and organizers of the downhill race founded the sport of mountain biking. Gary began innovation and Fisher Mountain Bikes. The rest of course is history. Gary still holds the speed record on Repack of 4:22.



Besides being the mecca for mountain biking this chaparral covered hill also has some nice hiking mostly on wide open fire roads with excellent views of Mt. Tam, the Marin County Watershed and across the North Bay.

Getting There

 
North from Pine Mtn. summit
North from Pine Mtn. summit
From Hwy. 101 take the Sir Francis Drake Blvd. exit west and go 6 miles to Fairfax. From downtown Fairfax take the Bolinas Fairfax Road west as it winds up through the hills, passes a golf course on the left and continues up to a small road side dirt parking lot on the left at 3.8 miles. From there hike gated Pine Mountain Truck Road on the other side of the Bolinas Fairfax Road as it gradually ascends northwest 1.5 miles and go left on the fireroad to Pine Mountain. Go on the Pine Mountain Road around a hillside then up. At .8 miles from the junction with the Pine Mountain Truck Road there is a brief right turn through the chaparral a few yards to the summit which is a rock outcrop. Keep an eye out for this little turn is easy to miss.
The Pine mountain road continues 3.5 more miles along scenic Pine Mountain Ridge and descends to Kent Lake connecting to other roads.

Carson Falls

 
Carson Falls
A portion of Carson Falls with light runoff
A side trip and a very popular destination during the rainy season is Carson Falls below the south slope of Pine Mountain. This is a beautiful 75 foot rocky cascade falling in stages.
Getting there: From the parking lot on Bolinas Fairfax Road hike up the Pine Mountain Truck Road 1 mile. Turn left on the Oat Hill Road and go about a quarter mile. Take the Carson Falls Trail to the right .4 miles down to the falls.

Red Tape

 
Pine Mtn. Ridge
Pine Mtn. Ridge
There are no permits required for this day hike.
No motorized vehicles.
No fires.
Mountain bikers must observe the posted speed limits in places.
Dogs must be on a leash.

Camping

 
Mt. Tamalpais From Oat Hill Road
Mt. Tam from Oat Hill Road
There is no camping in the Marin Municipal Water District.

Weather Forecast for the San Rafael area

!0 day weather forecast click here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Jesus Malverde

Jesus Malverde - Jul 11, 2015 11:13 am - Hasn't voted

Repack Revisited

Since Repack was mentioned here's the link to the Marin Museum of Bicycling, in Fairfax, CA. Worth a visit for the mountain biking enthusiast (and historian) for sure: http://mmbhof.org/

Viewing: 1-1 of 1