Point 13,712 and Jones Peak

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.63187°N / 106.23865°W
Additional Information County: Chaffee
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 13712 ft / 4179 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Point 13,712 and Jones Peak as seen from between Shavano Lake and the Shavano/Tabeguache TrailPoint 13,712 (left) and Jones Peak (right) as seen from between Shavano Lake and the Shavano/Tabeguache Trail.

Point 13,712 is the 140th tallest peak in the state of Colorado. It is a "Bi" (Bicentennial 13er) meaning that it is one of the state's 200 highest peaks. It resides 0.5 miles northeast of the saddle connecting Mount Shavano and Tabeguache Peak. Point 13,712 rises 332 feet above the saddle between it and its parent peak, Mount Shavano, 0.8 miles to the south. The coordinates and elevation shown on this page are for Point 13,712.

Jones Peak is a false summit of Point 13,712. Its coordinates are 38.63127°N / 106.22522°W. Its elevation is 13604 ft (4146 m). Jones Peak lies 0.7 miles to the east of Point 13,712.

Both peaks rise above the Browns Creek drainage to the north. To the south lies a beautiful basin that holds Shavano Lake and the start of Squaw Creek.

Many people climb Point 13,712 and Jones Peak as a foursome in combination with Mount Shavano and Tabeguache Peak.

Some sources of information give the location of Jones Peak as N 28.632219 W 106.222521 and the elevation as 13,570 feet. For example, the MountainZone page for Jones Peak as well as the Above the Timber Topographic Maps for Garmin GPS Receivers list the summit of Jones Peak at that location. However, that location is 34 feet lower and 850 feet (0.16 miles) northeast of the high point.

The Mount Antero USGS quadrangle labels Jones Peak as the 13,604 foot high point. Gerry Roach's Colorado 13ers Peak List also lists the elevation of Jones Peak as 13,604 feet. It is this high point that I am using as the summit statistics for Jones Peak.

If using the 300 foot prominence rule as the measure of a peak's ranking, then Jones Peak is not a ranked summit. Jones Peak rises only 144 feet from its saddle with Point 13,712.

Getting There

The logical trailhead to get to the summit of Point 13,712 and Jones Peak is the Shavano/Tabeguache Trailhead.

Red Tape

Point 13,712 and Jones Peak are in the San Isabel National Forest. All visitors and forest users are subject to Federal Regulations. Read the rules which address camping, vehicles, camp fires, pets, and several other issues.

Salida Ranger District
325 West Rainbow Blvd
Salida, CO 81201
719-539-3591

Camping

Dispersed camping is allowed at a designated area near the Shavano/Tabeguache Trailhead. Follow the signs. Signs prohibit camping directly in the main trailhead parking area. Camping is also allowed in the national forest along the Shavano/Tabeguache Trail. In particular, there are some flat areas that are nice for camping at about 10,600 foot elevation near the trail.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sawatch RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks
 
Sawatch Range Highest 50Mountains & Rocks