Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.03070°N / 106.595°W
Additional Information County: Chaffee & Pitkin
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 13780 ft / 4200 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Sawatch Range Overview

The Sawatch Range is referred to as the backbone of the continent. It runs 100 miles south from I-70 to Cochetopa Pass. Only three paved roads cross the range: CO 82, US 50 and CO 114. The Sawatch Range is usually divided into three regions: northern, central and southern. The Northern Sawatch is the smallest and receives the greatest amount of snowfall. The Sawatch Range is home to 129 peaks above thirteen thousand feet.
Garfield Peak
Garfield Peak from McNasser Gulch

Garfield Peak A Overview

Garfield Peak lies 0.8 miles south of centennial thirteener Grizzly Peak, the highest ranked thirteener in the state of Colorado. Garfield Peak is the 63rd highest thirteener in Colorado, 116th highest peak in the state of Colorado and the 147th highest peak in the contiguous United States. Garfield is the 10th highest peak located on the Continental Divide in Colorado and the 11th highest peak located on the Continental Divide in the United States. Due to Garfield Peak’s proximity to Grizzly Peak, they are commonly climbed together by an easy, but aesthetic ridge traverse.
Grizzly Peak and South Ridge
Grizzly Peak from Garfield Peak

Getting There

Garfield Peak is easiest accessed via McNasser Gulch. To reach the McNasser Gulch Trailhead, travel 14.5 miles west on Colorado 82 from US 24 or 9.2 miles east from Independence Pass. Turn south onto South Fork Lake Creek Road (FS 371). Go straight at 2.7 miles. The roadhead (FS 394) is at 3.3 miles and 10,740'. High clearance vehicles can travel up FS 394 an additional 1.2 miles to road closure at 11,360'.
 Red-standard East Ridge...
Garfield Peak’s East Ridge and Traverse to Grizzly Peak shown in yellow. Map: Kane

The easiest way to climb Garfield from McNasser Gulch is by its east ridge. The route page also describes the traverse from Garfield Peak to Grizzly Peak. This traverse has been described in the literature both from south to north (1) and north to south (2).

Red Tape

Garfield Peak is in the San Isabel National Forest.

Leadville Ranger District
2015 North Poplar - Leadville, CO - 80461
Phone (719) 486-0749
Fax (719) 486-0928

Camping

Camp at the trailhead.

External Links

Lists of John

References

1. Colorado's Thirteeners: 13,800 to 13,999 Feet, From Hikes to Climbs
2. Colorado's High Thirteeners: A Climbing & Hiking Guide


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sawatch RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks
 
Contiguous US Highest 150Mountains & Rocks
 
 
Sawatch Range Highest 50Mountains & Rocks