Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.64280°N / 116.6287°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 6010 ft / 1832 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Rodman Summit



The Rodman Mountains are located near Lucerne Valley and the more prominent Ord Mountains. Rodman Mountain rises 6,010 feet with a prominence value of P2010 and is ranked 161. Along with East Ord and Ord these three peaks are the only six thousand foot plus peaks in the far western Mojave Desert. It is a great quick peak to do in combination with one of the Ords.


Getting There



From I-15 in Victorville take Highway 18 east to Apple Valley. Drive 23 miles on the 18 reaching the 247 junction. Take the 247 east for 5 miles reaching Camp Rock Road. Go north on Camp Rock, at 14 miles you will see a junction. Camp Rock continues to the left with a I-40, on the right there is a yellow road not maintained sign. Go right on this well graded dirt road, it eventually turns to asphalt after 1-2 miles. About 4 miles after the junction a dirt road forks off on the right, this is the summit road to Rodman. Passenger vehicles can make it to this point. The summit road would be rough for 2W high clearance, a 4W would be much better suited.

Summit Road Route



From the turn off continue up the dirt road staying left at the fork. After about two miles you reach the summit. From the towers hike to the southern prominent peak. It is a quick rocky scramble from here.

From the turnoff it would be a great little hike or mountain bike ride. Roundtrip is about 4 miles with a +1100 foot gain.

Camping

The Ord Mountain and Rodman Mountains are managed by the Bureau of Land Management and primitive camping is allowed in the area. When camping out here be mindful of offroad vehicles driving potentially into your camp. Locate tents in a protective manner, like behind your vehicle, from potential offroad driving routes.

The San Bernardino National Forest is not very far to the south and has many campgrounds, especially in the Big Bear Lake area.

External Links

For more information on the Ord Mountain Route Network go to this BLM link.

For a interesting webpage on mining history in the Ord Mountains and San Bernardino County go to Empire.net.

Essential Gear

All the standard gear, but especially sun protection. Also extra water and food due to the remote nature of the dirt roads encountered. A breakdown could be a long nervous wait.