Cresta Sinigaglia

Cresta Sinigaglia

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.92035°N / 9.38833°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: EE - experienced hikers
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

An interesting route to reach the summit of Southern Grigna is the east ridge : Cresta Sinigaglia (mark 1).
The path can be considered a walk up in the lower part and an easy ferrata in the upper one, over the Magnaghi Group.

Getting There

Starting point Pian dei Resinelli.
From Milano SS 36 till Lecco then follow the indications for Valsassina. After some long tunnels you arrive in a roundabout in Ballabio where you can find the indication for Piani dei Resinelli.

Route Description

Bosco Giulia
Southern Grigna
Once arrived to Pian dei Resinelli you can park the car in the big parking area. The small Church at the end of the parking area deserves a visit as contains a lot of memories of climbers. Once parked you have 2 choices. The first: you can go right into the direction of SEM refuge, 10 min. walking, then continue till you see the east ridge of the Southern Grigna immediately after the Canalone Porta. Start ascent on grass (snow in winter) fields till you reach the ridge. The second : follow the indications for Ref. Porta, walking into the amusing Bosco Giulia, then continue east in direction of Canalone Porta, cross it and you will see the indication for Sinigaglia Ridge.

Once on the ridge you can walk up paying attention in case of wet grass or snow as in some parts can be dangerous to slip.

Sigaro and Torrione Magnaghi...


Going up your view is filled by the big Magnaghi Group on the left and by the east flank of the Northern Grigna on the right.
As you go up the grass is gradually substituted by scree and rocks.
After a couple of hours the path reaches the upper part of the ridge and you have to cross, on the north side, the upper Magnaghi. This cross, named “il Saltino del Gatto” is a bit exposed but can be easily done with the help of a fixed rope and by some metallic steps.
Then the path continues up and down on rocks and you can already see the metallic surface of the Ferrario Biv. on the summit.
On the right there is the Canalino Federazione pointing down in direction of the Northern Grigna ( for further info take a look to Traversata Alta route page ).
The last part of the path can be considered of rock difficulty up to I / I+ and, even made easier by the presence of fixed ropes ( and by a couple of spits useful for rappelling in winter), can require some climbing skill and some familiarity with exposure.
In 2,30 hours you are on the top of the Southern Grigna.

Coming down can be made by the same path or by the steep and rocky Cresta Cermenati.

Essential Gear

Normal for hiking. In case you are not familiar with fixed ropes and exposed crosses, a ferrata set can be useful.
In winter crampons and ice axe can be necessary and it is also recommended to ask to refuges people informations about the snow conditions.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

GrigneRoutes