Via Ferrata del Medale

Via Ferrata del Medale

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.87313°N / 9.40194°E
Additional Information Route Type: Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Difficult Ferrata
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

40 minutes to the starting point
2 hours for the Ferrata
1 hour to come back
the difference in elevation is about 700 m (400 the Ferrata)


Getting There

Starting point is Rancio Alto, a small town just above Lecco,
To arrive there you must, from Lecco, follow the old road to Valsassina up to Malavedo and, once at the hairpin bend just after a small bridge, while the main road turns to the right, you must follow to the left (via Quarto) arriving to a small square where to park your car.
From the opposite side of the square starts the path n° 52.
Walk up till a little after the safety net and, following the marks, go along a small road on the right, at the fork turn to the left following a path leading to the Ferrata (half an hour walk)

Route Description

Corno Medale

The first stretch is almost vertical but good footholds make it not so difficult; after a cross toward right you get the first (exposed and panoramic) place to have a break.
Via Ferrata del Medale
The next one just before a difficult vertical step followed by a cross, to the right, wherefrom you must round to the right an exposed edge to get a vertical slab (metallic aids).
After few meters a cross to the right, to turn around another edge, and a diagonal climb lets you get another point of break (Madonna icon on the wall - panorama).
Via Ferrata del Medale

Straight along the wall then along a dihedral, with good grips, to get another ledge. (panorama)
A short cross to the right leads to the second edge where the difficulties become lower.
Some steps and slabs, all with good grips, footholds and, obviously, a metallic rope, lead to the last part of the route: a long dihedral and a series of vertical steps leading to the ending part of the route.
Following the metallic rope and climbing a long series of steps you get the summit Cross (1.029m)

Descent
From the summit follow the tracks rounding on the left the summital part to get the path 56 (mark on a tree).

Essential Gear

Ferrata gear: helmet is a "must"

Kit da ferrata; casco, imbrago, cordino, moschettoni e dissipatore.

External Links

a good page (in Italian)
Ferrata Medale

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

GrigneRoutes