Fluchthorn

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.02235°N / 7.91357°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 12451 ft / 3795 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

FluchthornView down the allalin glacier
WeisshornWeisshorn and Allalin Pass
The Fluchthorn (3795m) is situated amid the splendour of the Mischabel Group of the Pennine Alps in the beautiful Valais Region of Switzerland. Dwarfed by the 4000+ m Strahlhorn, Rimpfischorn and Allalinhorn summits the Fluchthorn is often ignored by climbers eager to climb its loftier neighbours. However, as acclimatisation peak, or training peak to hone glacier skills, or if the weather is unfavourable on the higher peaks; the Fluchthorn offers a pleasant relatively safe snow /ice climb. Care, however, should be taken as there are a number of large crevasses on the Allalin Glacier. Also, route finding in the mist can be problematic. There are good views throughout the route with impressive glacier scenery on the approach to the summit. There are wonderful views of the Weisshorn, down the Allalin Glacier to the Weissmies Group and to the distant Bernese as well the neighbouring Strahlhorn, Rimpfischorn and the Allalinhorn. The panorama from the summit is breathtaking. The mountain is best approached from the Britannia Hut from Saas Fee.

Getting There

Britannia HutBritannia Hut
Saas Fee The Saas Valley is easy to reach with good rail and Postbus links from the airports. From the railway station at Brigg or Visp take the regular Postbus service to Saas Fee. Britannia Hut The Britannia Hut is normally reached by taking the cable from Saas Fee to Felskin (2989m) and then following the marked Alpine way to the Britannia Hut SAC (3030m) approximately 30min.

Red Tape

No Red Tape as such but some red snow.......!
FluchthornFluchthorn and a sand covered Allalin Glacier

Accommodation

The Britannia Hut (3030m) SAC Tel.: (+41) 028.572288, 113 beds
View from Fluchthorn

External Links and Maps

Maps 1:50000 Swisstopo No 5006 Matterhorn Mischabel Saas info. Weather and Live web cam

Routes

Fluchthorn
The normal route (F+/PD-) starts from the Britannia Hut and descends west down to the Hohlaub Glacier initially following the normal route of the Strahlhorn onto the Allalin Glacier skirting under the Hohlaubgrat of the Allalinhorn and then toward the east wall of the Rimpfischorn. Once the glacier flattens out beneath the Allalinpass, leave the normal route of the Strahlhorn and head east/south east heading to the southern most point of the rock outcrop at point 3451m. From here either head south skirting beneath the west slopes of the Fluchthorn to the Fluchtpass (3724m) and then on to the summit. Alternatively from point 3451m,if conditions are favourable, ascend the North Slopes of the Fluchthorn on snow/ice to about 40 degrees. The Fluchthorn can also be climbed during the ascent of the North East Ridge of the Strahlhorn (AD).

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

Mauntainfreak - Jan 7, 2016 4:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Climbing with skis

This photo was taken climbing the Fluchthorn with the skis (click it to enlarge): In the photogallery you can see the photos of the trip. Click to enlarge

Viewing: 1-1 of 1