Plumstone Mountain

Plumstone Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 51.86990°N / 5.02775°W
Additional Information County: Pembrokeshire
Activities Activities: Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 551 ft / 168 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Plumstone Mountain is less of a mountain, and more of a broad rounded heather clad hill, capped by a rocky tor of grit-like rock. It’s this summit tor that forms the mountains principle point of interest, and in fact, provides some bouldering problems of surprising quality. The tor takes the form of a relatively square cut mass of rock, which is generally excellent in quality, and yields a mixture of roof problems, arêtes, gritstone laybacks and steep faces. Much of the climbing is overhanging by 10˚ or 20˚, and as a result is fairly powerful. To further add to the spot’s character, all of this activity takes place against the backdrop of a 360˚ sweeping panorama of much of Pembrokeshire's finest landscapes.

Bouldering Problems

Plumstone Mountain is home to only a handful of recognised problems, however, exploration is at an early stage and there is plenty of scope for variation. Despite the diminutive size of the outcrop, there is enough here to keep most boulderers happy for at least a few hours. To get the most out of the area, a visit to the hill could be combined with visits to Poll Carn and Maiden Castle, which have a greater concentration of problems, and are located at Treffgarne just 4km to the east.

Grades are given using the British Technical Grading System which is usually used for rating the crux of trad climbs. The system is great for easy problems (less than 5a), however, above that they start to become too vague and in the higher grades they are hopeless with 6c covering everything from V6 to V10. A grading comparison table is available of Rockfax’s website. Problems are described clockwise, starting on the rock’s eastern face.


Problems on the east face. For a clean version of the photo click HERE.
Problems on the south face. For a clean version of the photo click HERE.


Problem 1 3c NO STARS
On the left side of the face are a couple of cracks; the right hand crack is an obvious layback.
Problem 2 3c NO STARS
The left crack is a slightly awkward off-width.
Problem 3 5b NO STARS
Climb directly up the flake.
Problem 4 5a NO STARS
A thuggish problem underclinging the diagonal crack to its conclusion.
Problem 5 5c NO STARS
Further down, the wall gives a fingery problem with a sloping finish.
Problem 6 5b NO STARS
The southwest arête is a one of the classic problems on Plumstone Moutnain.
Problem 7 6a NO STARS
Perhaps the best section with lots of variations, the prominent overhanging rib on the west side is taken from a sitting start, with a variety of dynamic slaps; most of the problems have similar grades.
Problem 8 6a NO STARS
The obvious roof problem on the boulder marking the northwest corner is surprisingly desperate.
Problem 9 5c NO STARS
Another overhang, another sitting start. What looks suspiciously easy becomes a desperate open-handed slap and sprawl onto the holdless slab.
Problem 10 5b NO STARS
The obvious crack, climbed as an eliminate jamming exercise, again from a sitting start, is painful.
Problem 11 5a 1 STAR
In the wall further along, a jump for the prominent jug gives a good dynamic problem.
Problem 11 Sit Down Start 5c NO STARS
Gaining the jug from a sitting start gives a whole new difficulty.
Problem 12 5a 2 STARS
The small face just around the corner taking a direct line just right of the arête.
Plumstone Mountain Problems

Problems on the west face. For a clean version of the photo click HERE.

Problems on the north face. For a clean version of the photo click HERE.
The view back to the car park. Not very far at all.

Weather Conditions

This section displays the weather forecast for Letterston, which is located just to the north and is probably the nearest village to Plumstone Mountain. Both locations are at around the same height, however, Plumstone Mountain is more exposed to the area’s climate, and exposure and wind speed can also significantly lower temperatures.

This weather forecast is generated by the Met Office Weather Widget

When to Climb and Essential Gear

Pembrokeshire's climate is generally pretty good whatever the season, so climbing is possible throughout the year. One advantage of Plumstone Mountain's inland location is that if the weather is a bit rough it may be a good alternative to climbing on the area's sea cliffs, where you will inevitably receive a soaking... or worse.

Although not essential, a bouldering mat is recommended to soften those landings, and of course, you'll also need a chalk bag and a pair of rock shoes.

Plumstone MountainBouldering on Plumstone Mountain's north face

Getting There

Take the B4330 from Haverfordwest (SM 954 160) by turning west towards St. David’s at the Morrison’s supermarket roundabout, cross the river and turn north at the next roundabout (SM 952 159) which is signposted Croes-goch (SM 828 302). After about 5 miles you will reach the brow of the hill and a left hand turning (SM 923 235) onto a tarmac road (bridleway) leading to a parking area surrounded by large blocks next to a covered reservoir (SM 918 233).

Plumstone Mountain’s rocks are located only 100m to the west up a broad path.

Plumstone MountainBouldering the easy layback problem on the East Face

Camping and Accommodation

There’s an almost unlimited supply of accommodation within the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park so it would be inappropriate to list it all here. For budget accommodation it’s worth checking out some of the following sites:

Youth Hostel Association in Wales
Independent Hostel Guide
Campsites in Pembrokeshire

For everything else and more see Visit Pembrokeshire’s website.

Red Tape and Access

No red tape or access issues here!

For climbers, hill walkers and mountaineers, the British Mountaineering Council (BMC) runs a Regional Access Database, which holds mountain/crag specific information on matters of conservation and access, including issues such as nesting restrictions, nature designations and preferred parking:

Regional Access Database

If you are in any doubt about any particular access arrangement, or need to report an incident, you should contact your local BMC Access Representative or the BMC Access Officers for Wales: Elfyn Jones.

Maps

Open Space Web-Map builder Code
Navigation Maps

Ordnance Survey 1:25k Explorer Series OL 35 North Pembrokeshire/Gogledd Sir Benfro

Ordnance Survey 1:50k Landranger Series 157 St David’s & Haverfordwest/Tyddewi a Hwlffordd

Road Maps

Ordnance Survey Tour Series 11 South & Mid Wales

Guidebooks

Pembrokeshire Coast: The Official National Park Guide Pembrokeshire Coast: The Official National Park Guide by Alf Alderson, John Cleare and Ian Mercer.

A handy book full of useful information and interesting facts about the National Park.
Climbers’ Guides to Wales: Pembroke Volume 1 Pembroke North Climbers' Club Guides to Wales: Pembroke Volume 1: Pembroke North by Steve Quinton

A superb and extremely comprehensive guidebook to the climbing in North Pembroke; includes descriptions of most of the problems at Plumstone Mountain.

External Links

Plumstone MountainEast Face
Plumstone MountainSouth Face
Plumstone MountainWest Face

Government Bodies and Other Organisations

Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority

Council for National Parks

Association of National Park Authorities

Natural Resources Wales

CADW

Royal Commission on Ancient & Historical Monuments in Wales

Dyfed Archaeological Trust

The National Trust

Maritime and Coastguard Agency

Outdoor Organisations and Companies

British Mountaineering Council

Pembrokeshire Climbing Club

Pembrokeshire Outdoor Charter Group

UKClimbing

Weather and Tides

The Met Office

BBC Weather

BBC Tide Tables

UK Hydrographic Office

Tourist Information

Visit Wales

Visit Pembrokeshire

Travel Information

Welsh Public Transport Information

UK Train Timetable

Accommodation

Youth Hostel Association in Wales

Independent Hostel Guide

Campsites in Pembrokeshire

Maps and Guidebooks

Ordnance Survey

The Climbers’ Club

Cicerone Guidebooks

Rockfax

Mid Wales Climbing

Cordee Travel and Adventure Sports Bookshop

Wildlife and Conservation

Joint Nature Conservation Committee

Royal Society for the Protection of Birds

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre

South West Wales Wildlife Trust




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pembroke/PenfroMountains & Rocks