Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.16289°N / 20.03211°E
Additional Information Elevation: 7919 ft / 2414 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Intro

Velke Solisko, Wielkie Solisko, Grosser Solisko, Nagy Szoliszko 2414 The highest peak in long and beautiful Solisko ridge separating Mlynicka and Furkotska valleys, absolutely wonderful viewpoint. Tooltip for IE: Velke Solisko Velke Solisko summit Extraordinary structure of the main summit formed by 2 metre high, separated boulder rock in a shape of giant mushroom. Its southern edge forms a small rock shelter. Luckily it is much easier accessible that the one from Koncista summit . First ascent : 19.VII.1903 - Karol Englisch and Paul Spitzkopf senior (guide) ascent from Furkotska Valley, descent to Mlynicka Valley First winter ascent : 21.I.1912 - Gyula A. Hefty and Lajos Rokfalusy

Velke Solisko (2414)

Tooltip for IE: Velke Solisko Solisko Ridge from Ostra Velke Solisko is the highest, first from north-west summit in Solisko Ridge rising above 2 great High Tatra valleys of Mlynicka(east) and Furkotska(west). The main peak of the massif is separated by the pass of Bystre Sedlo(2314) from Furkotsky Stit(2405) peak. Velke Solisko (also called just Solisko) has got 2 summits :
  • Main northern summit of the height of 2414 metres embossed with great, separated mushroom shaped boulder rock of granite.
  • Southern summit (ca.2400) which singles out as a separate Prostredne Solisko peak 4 characteristic, prominent crags in the northern ridge of Velke Solisko closely south-east from Bystre Sedlo pass are Bystre Vezicky

    Getting There

    The key thing when planning a stay in Slovak High Tatra is to get to Poprad. It is the major city in the area with very good communication links with the rest of the country. After getting there you should go to one of close High Tatra resorts: Stary Smokovec or Strbske Pleso for example. The last town seems to be best base when thinking about climbing Velke Solisko peak (It is a center from which most of marked routes of the area starts their run) You can of course find accomodation anywhere in the area, thanks to electric train line uou will find yourself anywhere you want at the right time. Slovak bus and train connection search The nearest airports to Tatra mountains are located in Cracow(100 km)
    in Poland and in Poprad nearby in Slovakia. Cracow Airport Poprad-Tatry Airport

    Routes Overview

    Due to lack of marked routes the whole Solisko ridge stays still nowadays much less visited by high mountain tourists than nearby Krivan(2495) or Furkotsky Stit(2405) peaks. Though there are many, easy old non-marked routes which can lead You through most beatiful places of the area. Marked routes of Mlynicka and Furkotska valleys: Strbske Pleso - Mlynicka Valley - Skok waterfall - Bystre Sedlo(2314) pass Yellow marks, 3 h Strbske Pleso - Furkotska Valley - Vysne Wahlenbergovo Pleso(2157) lake - Bystre Sedlo(2314) pass. Red (to the valley) ,Yellow marks, 3 1/2 h There are also many alpine climbing possibilites (especially for wintertime) but the choice of extreme routes is much less than on nearby Satan(2432) or Hruby Vrch(2428). Great winter climbing challenge would be climbing the whole length of Solisko ridge, accomplished first in April of 1925 by Polish mountaineers: Adam Karpinski and Stefan Osiecki.

    Red Tape

    It is Tatra National Park(TANAP) area, there are no entry fees but You can hike using only marked trails . Watch out for strict rules of wildlife conservation . Stay always respectful to mountain nature ! From 1.11 to 15.06 year by year all marked routes in TANAP(the whole Slovak side of Tatras) are being closed for tourists (besides the routes leading to mountain chalets).

    When To Climb

    Best time for climbing/hiking : August – October . June/July : frequent t-storms ,heavy rainfall periods and foggy weather . Planning visiting Tatra Mountains in winter, don't forget to check actual HZS avalanche forecast

    Camping

    Lots of accomodation possibilities of different standard and price on Slovak side of Tatra Mountains . The nearest town is Strbske Pleso- Slovakia's one of the greatest mountain resorts, full of hotels and guest houses . Strbske Pleso is definetely the best base when planning climbing Velke Solisko peak, all marked routes of the area starts their run exactly there . Strbske Pleso Hotels Hotel Permon in Podbanske In the mountains: Chata Pod Soliskom mountain chalet Contact: +421 905 652 036, +421 907 949 442 e-mail: info@chatasolisko.sk Chata Pod Soliskom mountain chalet It is also not too far to Popradske Pleso Mountain Hotel(1500) This hotel is situated upon beatiful Popradske Lake in neighbouring to Mlynicka Valley - Mengusovska Valley on the main marked route leading to Rysy and at the entry to Zlomiskova Valley (Rumanov, Ganek and Vysoka tourist routes) . Great scenery but the area is usually overcrowded in the summer . The cheapest bed - about 450 SK per night . Popradske Pleso Hotel Camping in Tatra National Park is strictly forbidden !

    Mountain Conditions

    Severe and extremely changeable high mountain climate …be always prepared for sudden weather breakdowns ! Rescue Phone Number : 18 300 Horska Sluzba - Tatra Mountain Rescue

    External Links




  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.