Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.85000°N / 111.835°W
Additional Information County: Davis
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 6803 ft / 2074 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cave Peak
Barely noticable against the higher peaks surrounding it, Cave Peak is one that I have been eyeing for quite sometime. What caught attention first of all was the name; Cave Peak. It sounds so interesting. Tucked up under the peaks of the Session Mountains area in the Northern Wasatch, Cave Peak is overlooked. I'm sure that the old timers in the Bountiful/Wood Cross area know about it, but there really isn't alot of information on it. It's a pretty little peak, shaped like a miniature Mt Hood. The western face is rugged, with small cliff bands that look negotiable. To me, I think it has "little big man syndrome". It just wants to be noticed. I say that, because, every mountain seems to have an identity or character. Cave Peak screams, "Come climb me!", but hardly anyone hears. It's flanks are covered by houses, with a little oak brush. Mountain bikers, picnicers, and hikers pass by this little peak all year long, but rarely is it summited. Is there a cave on it somewhere or nearby? No one seems to know. I do know this though; if you're looking for a nice 4 mile hike, winter, spring, summer or fall, you will not be disappointed. I know I wasn't.

The route

The trailhead is located at Mueller Park, on the east bench of the city of Bountiful. It is a very popular mountain biking area. There is limited parking inside the park itself, but you can park right just outside the park on the curb and walk in. It's only about 100 yards or so to the trail. You will cross a very well maintained bridge over the creek right at the start. You will have no problems finding the trail, I mean highway. Be aware of mountian bikes as you begin to climb up the gentle switchbacks. The trail takes a westerly direction, but soon meanders back to the east as it snakes up the canyon. It ends at Rudy's Flat, a saddle north of Dude BM, on the north ridge of City Creek Canyon. It's a very pretty trail, with lots of trees and plenty of shade. There are several ridges leading down from the summit of Cave Peak, and the trail gently finds its way around these.

There is no trail to the summit of Cave Peak. After 1.70 miles, as the trail rounds a ridge, jump off the trail to the right and begin climbing the ridge. There are no signs, but you can see where someone has climbed up off the trail. You will b able to see the summit, almost 1,000 ft up and 1/2 mile away. The earlier in the spring you climb this route, the better. The brush is thick, and I'm sure by mid-summer, it will be very difficult to get through. Winter should be no problem. The brush clears out the last 200 feet or so. The summit is slightly rounded with no brush, but covered in grass. Great views extend north along the Northern Wasatch, as well as west, over the the Great Salt Lake.

Option 2

It is also possible to reach the summit from North Canyon. More on this route later. See "Getting there" section for directions.

Getting There

Eastern view
Mueller Park

From either north or south on I-15, take exit 315. Head east on 2600 S. This road will head east, but eventually curves to the north, turning into Orchard Drive. Take a right on 1800 S., hading east. This is also known as Mueller Park Rd. Just follow this toward the mountains. It curves to the southeast, and drops down a hill to an intersection with Bountiful Blvd. Continue straight up the canyon to the TH at Mueller Park.

North Canyon

Follow directions for Mueller Park TH to Bountiful Blvd. Turn right (west) on Bountiful Blvd. Take your second left, and head up North Canyon. Park at the end of the road and begin climbing. Keep in mind that the mountain bikers use this area as well. More on this route later.

Red Tape

Fees are required at Mueller Park for day use of the picnic area. No fee is charged to hike or bike. There are also many, many houses in the area. Be mindful of this and respect any private property.