Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.09750°N / 111.8508°W
Additional Information County: Davis
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9571 ft / 2917 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This peak does not have an official name on the Forest Service topo map. However, it is the highest un-named peak bordering the city of Layton, Utah. Layton peak is in the northern Wasatch mountains. Thurston and Francis peaks are to the south, and Weber Canyon is to the north.

The Kay's Creek Ridge trail is 4.07 miles to the top of Layton Peak (9571’). The elevation gain of 4371’ to the peak takes moderate hikers about 4 hrs to summit. Although the trail is very steep and has few switchbacks, the views are outstanding. From January to mid May be advised that snow may make it difficult if not impossible to follow the trail above about 7,500'.


There are two routes to the summit: Great Western Trail and Kay's Creek Ridge Trail.  The Kay's Creek Ridge Trail is a much more direct approach with shorter mileage. As of 2018, the Kay's Ridge Trail is really overgrown in some areas.  As long as you stay on the ridge line, it's not too hard to find/figure out which way to go. If you want a more defined trail to the summit, use the Great Western trail.  The Great Western has a lot of switchbacks, whereas the Kay's Ridge goes straight up without the aid of switchbacks.  The Great Western trail has not been improved or maintained by any coordinated effort since the 1990's, but it is in better shape than Kay's Ridge and you're less likely to get lost. 

The best of both worlds is to ascend the Kay's Creek Ridge trail and descend the Great Western trail to complete a loop hike.

Bring a lot of water on this hike because it tends to get very hot in the summer. The Kay's Creek Ridge trail passes by Fernwood Cabin at 1.5 miles. The cut off to the cabin is on the right; it can be difficult to locate. It's worth a 5 minute detour to see the cabin, but the two improved springs are no longer working.  There is a seep on the south side of the cabin, but the water outflow is minimal.  

The Great Western Trail has a spring directly on the trail up on the ridgeline.  Runners have placed some PVC pipes to aid in obtaining water. You will reach it about 3 hours up the trail and it is reliable as of Sept 2018.  

Getting There

Location: Layton Utah Fernwood Trail head

From Route 89 in Layton Utah, turn east onto Cherry Lane between mile markers 402-403. Make an immediate left onto Valley View Drive (heading north). In 0.5 miles, turn right (east) onto Fernwood Drive. Follow Fernwood for another 0.5 miles and make a right at the T intersection. You will pass a tremendous “Castle” home on your left, and then enter the Forest Service trailhead area. In early morning, the gate may be locked. Street parking is permitted.

Red Tape

No permits are required. Parking in the forest service parking area is prohibited after 10 PM.

Camping

No overnight camping at the trail head, but picnic sites available. Best campsites in the area are west on Antelope Island State Park, approximately 10 miles away. There is seasonal water available at the trail head (the Forest Service turns it on during the warmer months).

Trail directions

From the parking lot, walk around the brown metal gate and begin heading up/east. Turn left (north) onto the Bonneville Shoreline trail.

Great Western Trail
Continue north on the Bonneville Shoreline trail.  Do NOT take the major left turn in 0.5 miles from the trailhead that goes over a newer wide bridge.  Instead, stay to the right and eventually cross an older bridge.   In approximately two miles form the trailhead, there will be a fork in the trail and a wooden sign indicating “Great Western Trail”. You want to stay right on the Great Western trail. Hours later, you will join the Kay's Creek Ridge trail on a false peak affectionately named “Chin Scraper”. This will be on the ridge line, and you can easily find your way to the top of Layton Peak.

Kay's Creek Ridge trail
This trail is also referred to as "Community Trail" by locals.  A few steps after joining the Bonneville Shoreline trail, turn right (east) onto an unmarked trail. N 41.05.265 W 111.54.077 This area had a huge brush fire in the summer of 2006.

The trail had been bulldozed for the first 1/4 mile. Ignore spurs on left side.  At 0.26 miles, the trail crosses a concrete pipe and turns 90 degrees to the left. This next short bit may be overgrown beside the creek. At 0.31 miles, the trail will cross the small creek then begin heading upwards.

At 1.5 miles, a faint trail goes right. This spur leads to the Fernwood cabin ruins (built in the 1970’s).  It is about a 5 minute detour if you want to see it.

Continue following the obvious trail to the summit.

N 41.05.649 W 111.51.918 You will see a cairn. Follow this trail straight up (turn right). The sagebrush has been trimmed back to form a trail. The route is up-- then veers left toward the cliff. There is a cut trail through the weeds and three cairns where the trail intersects the cliff line. If you miss the trail and bushwhack, it doesn’t matter. As long as you keep heading upwards—the area is wide open and easy to navigate.  A recommended route is to head north (left) to the cliff side.  You will see cairns where the trail had been cut in 2004.  Follow the cliff and then cross the rock band as you make your way up to the sharp peak affectionately names "Chinscraper".

Alternate -- I've been up when someone marked a more direct route with bright yellow markers tied onto the vegetation. If the markers are still visible, this route may be easier to follow.  However the brush has not been cut down. You can follow the yellow markers if you don't mind clearing your own way through the brush. I prefer the ridgeline as not to bushwack and there are better views. The northern side cliff route is not dangerous and the boulders are solid.

Once you summit the first false peak named Chinscraper, you’ll see two big cairn markings. These mark the confluence of two trail: Kay's Creek Ridge and the Great Western Trail. N 41.05.568 W 111.51.601

You will now find out that the high point you've been viewing the entire duration of climbing is Chinscraper -- and there is an entire mountain behind (and taller) than this false summit.

Both trails continue on the ridgeline, curving south than east. Eventually there is no “trail”, but the route is obvious. Just aim for the highest point.

Layton peak is 4.07 miles from the trailhead 9571' elevation. From the top you can look east toward the cities of Mountain Green and Morgan. The “back side” of the Wasatch Mountains at this location is very remote and unspoiled. In summer of 2014 three mountain goats were seen by the author near the peak. There are also mysterious orange dots painted along the ridgeline which are fun to explore going north.

After savoring the summit, it is possible to hike along the ridge line north or south. It is not difficult to summit a few more high points.  Thurston peak is very doable from this location.

If you find yourself needing fluids, there is a spring approximately 2 miles north on the Great Western Trail.  The trail crosses over the spring - you can't miss it.  As of 2018, the PVC pipes made filling your hydration very easy.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.