Haig Glacier Peaks

Alberta / British Columbia, Canada, North America
Page Type Page Type: List
Sign the Climber's Log
The high country of Kananaskis lives along the Continental Divide, which serves as the provincial boundary between Alberta and British Columbia in the Rockies. From Elk Pass north along the divide to Palliser Pass is a glorious collection of the tallest peaks and largest glaciers in the Kananaskis Rockies. The only two 11,000 foot plus summits in Kananaskis are along this section of the divide; Mt. Sir Douglas and Mt. Joffre. These two highpoints also harbour the largest glaciers in Kananaskis; The Haig Glacier and the Mangin Glacier.

The summits along this section of the divide, and the adjacent connecting peaks, were named after World War I to commemorate the British and French military forces. Generally, from Mt. Nivelle north to Mt. Cordonnier are French military names and included in the Joffre Group of mountains; from Mt. Warrior north to Mt. Turbulent are British military names and included mostly in the Spray Range, but a few northern summits are in the Goat Range.

The Haig Glacier was named after Sir Douglas Haig. Sir Haig commanded the British Forces during the much of World War I (1915-1919) and was the successor of Field Marshall John Denton Pinkstone French. Mt. Sir Douglas was named for Sir Haig. Mt. French for John French who commanded the British Forces during the first sixteen months of World War I. Mt. Robertson is named for Field Marshal Sir William Robert Robertson who was a British Army officer who served as Chief of the Imperial General Staff from 1916 to 1918. Mt. Monro for Major General Sir Charles Carmichael Monro who briefly commanded the British First Army in France before becoming Commander-in-Chief India later that year. Mt. Jellicoe for Sir John R. Jellicoe, a commander of the British Grand Fleet from 1914 to 1916. Mt. Maude for Major General Sir Frederick Stanley Maude, a British commander who captured Baghdad during WW I.

The Mangin Glacier (wholly in Alberta) and the adjoining glaciers of Petain, Castelnau, Elk and Nivelle (these four glaciers are wholly in British Columbia) provide the largest, near continuous, sheet of glacier ice in the Kananaskis area, but the Haig Glacier is the most extensive singularly named glacier in K-country. Portions of the Haig Glacier do extend into British Columbia, but the majority of the glacier is within Alberta and Peter Lougheed Provincial Park.

Haig Glacier from summit of Mt. Jellicoe
On the horizon, Mt. Sir Douglas (l), Mt. Robertson (m) and Mt. French (r)
Mangin Glacier from summit of Mt. Lyautey
Mt. Joffre at the southern end of glacier




Adjacent, or near, to the extensive Haig Glacier are three smaller glaciers, Robertson, French and Smith-Dorrien. The Robertson and French Glaciers provide the nearest access to the Haig Glacier. Considering the proximity of Calgary, and the growing human population surrounding Kananaskis, the valleys and trails surrounding the Haig still maintain an air of wilderness and isolation. The surrounding landscape provides a healthy population of all native species, including Grizzly and Black Bears, Cougar, Lynx, Moose, Elk and many smaller mammals, fish, flora and fauna. Be aware of potential wildlife conflicts and act accordingly in the backcountry.


Haig Glacier topo mapHaig Glacier area map




Six significant summits encircle the Haig Glacier, providing a high wall to trap and contain moisture, and hopefully, slow the melt of this grand glacier.



Mount Sir Douglas

3406 metres (11,174 ft.)

The king of the Haig Glaicer. Second highest summit in Kananaskis and one of the only two 11,000'ers in K-country. Beautiful peak with an interesting variety of challenging climbing routes.


.
Mount French

3234 metres (10,611 ft.)

Second highest summit along the Haig Glacier. This peak has significant glaciers on three sides, with only the northern fringes free of ice. A substantial northern outlier reaches 3185 metres and can provide an interesting additional highpoint on a traverse.


.
Mount Robertson

3194 metres (10,480 ft.)

A sharp and pointy summit block with narrow summit ridges and striking outliers. Presents an eye-catching profile to the Robertson Glacier. Difficult summit to attain including a modern and demanding alpine rock route.


.
Mount Monro

3092 metres (10,154 ft.)

The recluse of the Haig Glacier. This beautiful peak is very prominent while traveling the Haig Glacier, but likely has only had two ascents. The southern outlier tower has never been climbed and is the same (or higher?) elevation as the main summit.


.
Mount Jellicoe

3085 metres (10,121 ft.)

Diversity in the structure of this mountain provides several severely steep faces (all unclimbed), along with mellow south slopes. The southern slopes and ridge provides an excellent ski mountaineering objective in a remote setting.


.
Mount Maude

3042 metres (9,981 ft.)

The lowest elevation summit adjacent to the Haig Glacier, but this peak is not easy to attain. The couloir on the North-East Face provides an excellent moderate alpine climb and a very courageous ski descent.


.








Geography
Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.