Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.80985°N / 10.75617°E
Additional Information County: Lombardy
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2907 ft / 886 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Monte Preals 886 m

Monte Preals 886 m is a minor mountain of limited height that allows a magnificent view over the Garda Lake and the town of Limone. During the winter season and the beginning of spring, the mountain enjoys a panorama of the still snow-capped peaks of Monte Baldo, Altissimo di Nago, Colma di Malcesine and further to the North towards Monte Stivo. The name Preals is a toponym meaning Prato Alto (High lawn). A little known and very little frequented mountain, offering an itinerary with breathtaking views of the underlying lake that have nothing to envy to the more famous peaks of the surrounding area.

Annotated pano from Monte Preals
Annotated pano from Monte Preals

Getting There

The departure of the first itinerary takes place near the House of the Comboni Missionaries, just upstream from Limone del Garda.
You reach the town of Limone on the Brescia side of Lake Garda coming from Salò (from the South) or arriving from Riva del Garda (North). Coming from the north, we pass the central part of the town and then find, on the right, the signs for the "Birthplace of Daniele Comboni". The indications lead, as mentioned, to the house of the Comboni missionaries near which we can park the car with respect and attention (parking is tolerated in the winter period), otherwise we start further down from the village of Limone.
The departure of the second itinerary takes place near the Hotel Restaurant "La Milanesa". From Limone, take the road that takes to the La Milanesa restaurant where you can park your car.

Route from Limone del Garda

The first stretch of the route to Monte Preals
The first stretch of the route to Monte Preals

 

 

Monte Preals from Via Campaldo

Summit quote: 886 m
Difficulty: E
Difference in level: 720 m 
Starting point: Limone, Via Campaldo 

A panoramic itinerary with low difficulties. 

The climb winds its way in the hinterland of Limone sul Garda. From the Casa dei Missionari at an altitude of about 170 meters continue briefly uphill along the paved road (Via Campaldo) up to the beginning of a path with signpost "Sentiero Dalco" on the right. The mule track bordered by a metal railing climbs with a few bends among the olive trees. After a few hundred meters, ignore the route that goes straight ahead with signs for "La Milanesa" and instead continue to the left on a narrower path. You begin to climb rather steeply on a gravel path, aiming towards the left in the sparse pine forest up to a first terrace with a wonderful panoramic view of the lake. Continue to climb in the sparse wood, passing some viewpoints over the lake and reaching a particular blackish rock slab. The path now turns decisively to the right, cutting diagonally halfway up the summit slopes of Preals. We are dominated by some rocky outcrops, while to the south we also notice the conical profile of Monte Bestone.

Monte Baldo and Monte Bestone from Monte Preals
Monte Baldo and Monte Bestone from Monte Preals

 

Wide pano from the route to Monte Preals
Wide pano from the route to Monte Preals

Pass a steep stretch equipped with a cable in view of the double summit of Monte Preals and climb steeply again in the woods up to the last short but very steep slope that leads to the shaded Sella Preals between the two summits of the mountain. The highest summit, even if for a few meters, is located on the right of the col.
From the col take the large path and proceed to the right in the thick wood for a few tens of metres and slightly uphill, reaching another saddle with CAI signposts. From here, turn right into the wood along a slender track and shortly climb steeply to the highest wooded peak of Monte Preals 886 m.

Signposts on Bocchetta Preals
Signposts on Bocchetta Preals
Monte Carone, Punta Mois and Cima Mughera seen from Monte Preals
Monte Carone, Punta Mois and Cima Mughera seen from Monte Preals

 

 

We return to the saddle with signposts, from where we have three possibilities:

- return to the first saddle and take the same ascent route
- go down path 111 to Limone and then go up to the house of the Comboni missionaries
- descend to Limone following the beautiful Sentiero degli Alpini (strongly recommended, path 102, next itinerary), then with the 101 which descends through the Singol Valley. Reached the hotel "La Milanesa", you will come back to the starting point  through a good path starting on the right just in front of the hotel (about 10 minutes with some ups and down).

Sentiero degli Alpini

Monte Preals from La Milanesa

Summit quote: 886 m
Difficulty: EE
Difference in level: 730 m 
Starting point: La Milanesa 

A superb impressive route 

This itinerary, the so-called Sentiero degli Alpini, also starts from Limone del Garda and runs through a narrow side valley of the Valle del Singol accompanied by stupendous panoramas. From the parking lot at the hotel "La Milanesa" we enter the Valle del Singol following the trail n. 101 and going up on a small stone-paved road as far as the confluence with the Val Scaglione on the left at an altitude of about 375 meters (trail n. 102).

Val Singlin
Val Singlin

Here we leave the main itinerary and turn left onto the left path following the signposts  to Dalco and Corna Vecchia. It starts here the so-called “Sentiero degli Alpini”, a magnificent and evocative route created by the alpine soldiers in 1890. The path goes up the left side of the wild Val Scaglione with a good exposure and impressive views, making numerous hairpin bends, then suddenly coming out at a wooded saddle on the edge of a large grassy clearing. Fron here aim to the left following a path mainly flat to the Sella and then to the summit.

Sentiero degli Alpini, Monte Preals (2)
Sentiero degli Alpini, Monte Preals (2)
Sentiero degli Alpini, Monte Preals
Sentiero degli Alpini, Monte Preals

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Descent: see the previous chapter

Red Tape

Blooming of Helleborus Niger in the pine forest
Blooming of Helleborus Niger in the pine forest

 

 

 

No fees no permits required

When to Climb

All year round. Not recommended in the presence of snow on the itinerary (quite rare event even in winter).

Accomodation

This area is a primary touristic destination, offering several hotels, agriturismo, bed and breakfast, renting rooms and apartments in Limone and surroundings.

Bibliography

"Prealpi Bresciane" by Fausto Camerini - Collana Guide dei Monti d'Italia, CAI-TCI
"Prealpi Gardesane Occidentali" by Ruggero Bontempi, Fausto Camerini, Roberto Ciri - Idea Montagna Edizioni

Meteo forecast

Meteo Arpa Lombardia
Meteo Trentino