Oberaarhorn 3631m

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.53430°N / 8.21022°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 11913 ft / 3631 m
Sign the Climber's Log

In Memory of Cyrill Rüegger

A note from the SP staff
Cyrill Rüegger, the member we all used to know as Cyrill and Digitalis, died on May 13th 2009 in an avalanche on the summit ridge of Piz Palü together with his wife Tanja and a common friend. They were swept down by the avalanche into a couloir underneath the east summit and died instantly. Their bodies were retrieved from the Palü Glacier by helicopter a day after the accident.

Cyrill joined SP in March 2006 and soon was one of the most prolific contributors on the site with almost 70 mountain and 5 range pages to his profile. He was an accomplished climber, bagging almost 1000 summits in not quite seven years. Among them are 35 4000ers and 272 3000ers, almost all of them in his home country Switzerland.

While contributing a lot on SP, Cyrill's real internet home was www.hikr.org where he contributed 585 mountain profiles and reports in his native language German. Cyrill also posted on www.bergsteigen.at and other climbing sites, often under his real name but also under the pseudonym Digitalis. He was a botanist by profession and also contributed his knowledge about medical plants to different websites. Cyrill will be greatly missed by all.

This page will be kept in honour of Cyrill, one of SP's most prolific members and most active mountaineers.

Rest in peace, brother!

The picture above was taken on the summit of Matterhorn on July 28th 2007.

Overview

The Oberaarhorn 3631m is a mountain in Switzerland, in the Swiss canton Berne. The Oberaarhorn is close-by the Finsteraarhorn 4274m and by the Grimsel-pass. In the east of the Oberaarhorn you find the glacier “Oberaargletscher” and to the west the glacier “Studergletscher”, which has suffered heavily from global warming.

On the end of the south-ridge of the Oberaarhorn you find the Oberaarjoch-Hut at 3256m, a high located hut of the swiss alpine club. The Oberaarhorn is a popular mountain in summer as well as in spring with ski. With ski is essential to have a minimal avalanche risk.


Oberaarhorn 3631mOberaarhorn 3631m

Route

Normal-route in summer as well in spring with ski:

Oberaarjoch 3216m - Oberaarjoch hut 3256m - south ridge - Oberaarhorn 3631m
Difficulty: WS (PD)

Attend: the glacier Oberaargletscher has large and dangerous crevasses.


Getting There

With public transport:

With the SBB Train from the Swiss capitol Berne to the railway station Meiringen. The with post bus to the Grimsel pass / Grimsel hospiz.

Online train schedule (public transport Switzerland): SBB schedule

By car:

In Summer and autumn time, you can drive on the top of Grimsel pass. In the winter this pass is close. (mostly from November).

Online route scheduler: route scheduler in english and TCS.ch

Accommodation

Oberaarjoch hut 3258m: Link to Oberaarjoch hut

Galmihorn hut 2113m: Link to Galmihorn hut

Grimsel Hospiz: Link to Grimsel Hospiz

Books & Map

Guidebook summer:
Hochtouren Berner Alpen
Author: Ueli Mosimann

Guidebook winter/spring:
Skitouren Berner Alpen ost
Author: Ralph Schnegg/Daniel Anker

online maps:

Map Search - Online Maps

Map Online

Weather conditions in Switzerland

Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology

Weather SFDRS

Meteo News.ch

Links

Link about the Oberaarhorn 3631m: Oberaarhorn 3631m