Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.61980°N / 7.27220°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10259 ft / 3127 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Note

        La montagna chiama i suoi figli, ed essi rispondono fedelmente al suo appello…

                                                                                           Osvaldo Cardellina, Diario alpinistico, 1964-65

Page texts: @ OsvaldoCardellina "Osva", passed away on May 2, 2022. Page owners: Christian Cardellina e Osvaldo Cardellina. Any updates from September 12, 2022: Antonio Giani, page administrator, friend and climbing companion.

Testi della pagina: @ OsvaldoCardellina "Osva", scomparso il 2 maggio 2022. Proprietari pagina: Christian Cardellina e Osvaldo Cardellina. Eventuali aggiornamenti dal 12 settembre 2022: Antonio Giani, amministratore della pagina, amico e compagno di salite.

Livestock Overview

Punta of the Traso, of the Trayo or Pointe of the Trajo? All three names. Or, and better, anybody, because the real local toponym "sounds" like "Loz Traxioz" and more specifically "loz traxioz bestiarum" otherwise "the track carried by livestock" in the ascent to the pastures above on the right (to the West) to those of the adjacent Upper and Lower Pousset (to the East) under the homonymous rocky point. Just from this last, pointed terminal spur that comes from the Punta Rossa of the Grivola (3.630m), acts as a divider between the two Vallons of the Pousset and Traso, below which are reunited. Just above the Village of Epinel (1.434m) and before the Cogne Valley reaches to Crétaz Hamlet (1.494m) and finally off to the Northeastern Resort of Cogne at the Northeast feet of Gran Paradiso. From the latter (4.061m), the highest Summit of the entire Graian Alps (Mont Blanc Chain not included), branches off towards the North along the watershed, dividing this valley from the adjoining of Valsavarenche, which reaches the famous Grivola (3.969m). From this comes down to the North-northeast a bumpy ridge, after forming the Grivoletta (3.514m) and Punta Crevasse (3.303m), he reaches Colle and Punta del Traso between the Vallons of Nomenon (to the West) and Pousset (in East) before going to "die" above the fresh Torrent Grand'Eyvia, or the Great Water. The Punta del Traso so dominates the underlying Villages of Vieyes, Epinel, Crétaz, while the Hill of the Traso (2.877m) sends his impetuous Western winds towards Cogne and then disappear into the Urtier opposite Vallon and to the following Valley of Champorcher.
Punta del Traso, del Trayo o del Trajo? Tutti e tre i toponimi. Anzi nessuno, perché il vero e locale "suona" come "Loz Traxioz" ed ancora più specificamente "loz traxioz bestiarum" ovvero "il tracciato effettuato dal bestiame" nella salita ai pascoli superiori a destra (Occidente) di quelli dell'adiacente Pousset al di sotto dell'omonima punta rocciosa. Proprio quest'ultima, aguzzo sperone terminale proveniente dalla Punta Rossa della Grivola, funge da divisorio tra i due Valloni del Pousset e del Traso, al di sotto della quale si ricongiungono. Appena al di sopra del Villaggio di Epinel e prima che la Valle di Cogne raggiunga quello di Crétaz ed infine il largo Comprensorio di Cogne alle pendici Nordorientali del Gran Paradiso. Da questo ultimo (4.061 m), Sommità più elevata dell'intere Alpi Graie (Catena del Monte Bianco esclusa), si diparte verso Settentrione il lungo spartiacque, divisorio questa valle da quella attigua di Valsavarenche, che raggiunge la famosa Grivola (3.969 m). Da questa discende verso Nord-nordest una cresta accidentata ("l'Arete des Clochettes") la quale, dopo aver formato la "figlioletta" Grivoletta (3.514 m) e la semisconosciuta poco attraente Punta Crevasse, raggiunge Colle e Punta del Traso tra i Valloni di Nomenon (ad Ovest) e del Pousset prima d'andare a "morire" sopral Torrente Grand'Eyvia, cioé la Grande Acqua. La Punta del Traso quindi domina i sottostanti Villaggi di Vieyes, Epinel e Crétaz, mentre il colle soffia i suoi impetuosi venti Occidentali a Cogne' poi disperdentisi sopra l'opposto dell'Urtier e verso la Valle di Champorcher.

 

 
 
So basically and photographically speaking, this mountain is formed from a single and rather long ridge, arranged on South-southwest / North-northeast axis. Then it has only two sides, although the West is divided into two enough specific parts (North and South) by a small Northern buttress which ends at an altitude of 1.950/2.000 meters above the Bois Ron (Round Wood or, better, Rounded Forest). Both are crossed by steep rocky couloirs, especially the more Western leaning over four small rocky and almost vertical "clogs". On the opposite side of the Traso drops or a similar slope formed by five somewhat crushed and broken rocky ribs that reach the summit ridge in correspondence of four distinct elevations, the second of which (starting from the Traso Colle) constitutes the true Top. So, as I recall, because the height difference amongst them is minimal. But it is not so irrelevant to the path, forcing to small workarounds on the side facing the South. In any case it should remain on the ridge, because the slopes are quite exposed to falling rocks. Anyway this Summit is very little popular and much frequented often, even if in plain view from everywhere, and especially from the Village of Gimillan or Dzimillan, just above Cogne in the South. His exploration takes place, apart from the Normal Route or already Southern Crest probably frequented by hunters and a mountaineering ascent in August 1900, by the British rope comprising G.P. Baker and the renowned and famous Georges Yield along with Valtournanche Mountain Guides Benedict and Elisée Pession. Are the times of the great explorations, of which tells the Yeld in its wonderful reports on the Cogne Valley ("The Mountains of Cogne (Climbers Guides)" with the American Reverend William Auguste Brevoort Coolidge, Edit in London 1893 and "Scrambles in the Eastern Graians 1878-1897", Edit by Fisher-Unwin always in London 1900), and the party on the day 8 August 1910 rises from the "Casolari" (Pastures) Nomenon through the Wall Northwest, in his right side. The descent takes place on the same day by Georges and Benedict by the long Ridge East-northeast, long and indented but not excessively difficult ("Alpine Journal XXV", page 536). It remained the long and dangerous Slope Southeast, but this was way at the end of the 90s, through the highest rocky rib that leads directly to the Summit. Beautiful and close views on La Grivola and over the entire Valley of Cogne to the East and towards opposite side on fascinating Grand Nomenon (3.488 m), above the namesake vallon.
In pratica, topograficamente parlando, questa montagne risulta formata da un'unica e piuttosto lunga cresta, disposta sullo asse Sud-sudovest/Nord-nordest. Quindi presenta due soli versanti, anche se quello Occidentale viene diviso in due parti (Nord ed Ovest) da un piccolo contraforte Settentrionale che si esaurisce a quota 1.950/2.000 metri circa al di sopra del Bois Ron (Bosco Rotondo). Entrambi sono percorsi da ripidi canaloni rocciosi, soprattutto quello più Occidentale che si appoggia sopra quattro "zoccoli" rocciosi e verticali. Sul lato opposto o del Traso scende un versante similare formato da cinque costole rocciose alquanto frantumate che raggiungono la cresta sommitale in corrispondenza di quattro ben distinte elevazioni, la seconda delle quali (partendo dal Colle del Traso) costituisce la vera sommità. Così, se ben ricordo, anche perché il dislivello tra loro risulta minimo. Ma non é così ininfluente per il percorso, costringendo a dei piccoli aggiramenti sul versante rivolto a Mezzogiorno. In ogni caso conviene restare sulla cresta, poiché i pendii sono alquanto esposti alla caduta di pietre. In ogni caso é Sommità veramente poco popolare e molto di rado frequentata, anche se ben in vista da ogni dove e soprattutto dal Villaggio di Gimillan, appena sopra a Cogne verso Sud. La sua esplorazione avviene, a parte la Via Normale o Cresta Sud già frequentata probabilmente da cacciatori ed alpinisticamente salita nell'Agosto del 1900, da parte della cordata inglese composta da G.P. Baker e dal famoso Georges Yeld insieme alle Guide di Valtournanche Benedetto ed Eliseo Pession. Sono i tempi delle grandi esplorazioni, delle quali racconta lo Yeld nei suoi splendidi resoconti sulla Valle di Cogne, e la comitiva nel giorno 8 di Agosto 1910 sale dai Casolrari del Nomenon tramite la Parete Nordovest, nel suo lato di destra. La discesa avviene nello stesso giorno da parte di Georges e Benedetto tramite la lunga Cresta Est-nordest, lunga e frastagliata ma non eccessivamente difficile. Rimaneva il lungo e pericoloso Versante Sudest, ma anche questo é stato percorso alla fine degli Anni '90, tramite la costola rocciosa più alta che conduce direttamente alla Vetta. Splendide e ravvicinate viste sulla Grivola e sopra l'intera Valle di Cogne.

 

Punta del Trayo Trajo or Traso from Northwest 2016
Punta Trayo or Traso Northwest & Western Faces 2016
Pointe Lavincusse on NE Ridge of Pointe Trayo 2016
Trajo or Trayo even Traso Summit from Northwest 2016
Becca D Eytava or Dentavù (2598m) below Traso 2016
Punta del Traso or Trayo even Trajo, Punta Lavincusse & Becca D'Eytava or Dentavù, by Osw since February 2016

First Ascents

  • In the Summit: by M. Gabinio, lone; August 12th, 1900, through South-southwestern Crest from Traso Pass.
  • In Winter: Unknown.
  • South-southwest Crest (Standard Via from Traso Hill): by M. Gabinio, lone; August 12th, 1900.
  • Northwest Wall: by G.P. Baker and G. Yeld with Valtournanche Guides B. and E. Pession; August 08th, 1910, in ascent from Nomenon Alp.
  • East-northest Ridge: by Georges Yeld with Valtournanche Guide Benedetto Pession; August 08th, 1910, in descent towards Pointe Lavincusse.
  • East-northest Ridge (Integral Traverse): by Enza Franzino, Domenico Caresio and Stefano Franzino; June 09th, 1968, through complete crossing from Becca D'Eytava or Dentavù (2.598m) - Punta Lavincusse (2.868m) - Punta del Traso (3.127m) - Traso Pass (2.877m).
  • Southeast Face (Direct to Summit): by Osvaldo Cardellina, Nicola Colajanni and Gianfranco Vicentini; August 16th, 1998 with traverse to Traso Pass.

Getting There

BY CAR:

  • From TORINO, MILANO, etc: Motorway A5. Exit at IVREA or Quincinetto (PIEDMONT) also Pont Saint Martin, Verrès, Châtillon, AOSTA East (Nus) and West (Aymavilles) Municipalities.
  • From Aymavilles towards Cogne Valley From Aymavilles (646m) towards Cogne Valley with Regional Main Road: Vieyes (1.132m) Fraction; continue to Silvenoire (1.331m) Village, by small path in Nomenon Vallon up to the Mario Gontier Bivouac (2.323m) at Grand Nomenon Alp and with traces in terminal parts towards Trajo, Belleface and Charbonnière Passes. It is not necessary to take Motorway A5: you can drive on SS.26, in the direction of AOSTA - IVREA - TURIN.

Approaches & Routes

Trajo or Trayo Vallon
1) - Epinel Hamlet (1.436m): Walk with path in South-southwest towards Pianes (1.694m) Pastures, fork 1.995 meters, Trajo Alp (2.035m) (T/E/F; 1h'50/2h'00).
2) - Trajo Alp (2.035m): Excursion with path in West-southwest to Casotto P.N.G.P. (2.155m) and Trajo or Trayo Pass (2.873m) (EE/F+; 2h'15/2h'45).
3) - Trayo Pass (2.873m): Climbing in South through Northern Ridge, with some circumvention in West in final part, to Punta Crevasse (3.302m) (A/F+/PD-; 2h'15/2h'30).
4) - Trayo Pass (2.873m): Climbing in North-northeast through South-southwestern Ridge to Punta del Trayo (3.124m) (A/F+/PD-PD; 1h'00/1h'30).
By Trayo Pass towards Pointes Traso & Lavincusse 2015
Pointe du Trayo or Traso even Trajo & Lavincusse 2015
Watershed between Traso & Nomenon Vallons 2016
Punta del Trayo or <i> Tradzo </i> above Nomenon Vallon 2015
Pointes du Trajo & Crevasse over the Nomenon 2015
Nomenon Vallon
5) - Vieyes (1.158m) or Sylvenoire Villages (1.331m): Excursion with path in South towards Petit Nomenon Pasture (1.986m), unnamed Alp (2.027m), footbridge up Grand Nomenon Torrent (2.197m), Mario Gontier Bivouac, neighbor Grand Nomenon Alp (2.323m) (E/F; 1h'30/1h'45).
6) - Gontier Bivouac (2.323m): Excursion with path before in South to sources of Nomenon Torrent; after East with path to Trajo Pass (2.873m) (EE/F+; 1h'20/1h'40).
Nomenon Upper parts of Grivola-Nomenon-Favret 2015

Difficulties & Equipment

From F+ to PD-/PD for the two ways described above.
 
Dal F+ al PD-/PD per le due vie descritte.
 
Punta del Trayo below the MOON & above Traso 2016
Pointe du Traso Trayo or Trajo over Traso Vallon 2016
Pondel Bridge towards Trayo Crevasse & Grivola 2016
Punta del Trayo & Lavincusse from Southeast 2016
Punta del Trayo or <i> Tradzo </i> above Nomenon Vallon 2015

 

For Hiking, preferably with rope.
 
Da Escursionismo, meglio se con corda.
 

Mountain Condition

  • Meteo: you can find all the needed informations at the official site of the Valle d'Aosta Region:
  • Valle d'Aosta Meteo

Books and Maps


  • "Diari Alpinistici" di Osvaldo Cardellina e Indice Generale accompagnato da Schedario Relazioni Ascensioni 1964-2019 (inediti).
  • "Guida dei Monti d'Italia-Gran Paradiso Parco Nazionale" E. Andreis, R. Chabod, M. C. Santis, Club Alpino Italiano/Touring Club Italiano, prima Ed. 1939; seconda Ed. 1963; terza Ed. 1980.
  • "Guida delle Alpi Occidentali", di Giovanni Bobba e Luigi Vaccarone C.A.I. Sezione di Torino Volume II (parte II), 25 Maggio 1896.

  • Kompass "Gran Paradiso Valle d'Aosta Sentieri e Rifugi" Carta Turistica 1:50.000.
  • Enrico Editore Ivrea-Aosta "Gruppo del Gran Paradiso" 1:50.000.
  • I.G.C. Istituto Geografico Centrale "Il Parco Nazionale del Gran Paradiso" 1:50.000.
  • L'Escursionista "Valle di Cogne Carta dei Sentieri" (n° 10) 1:25.000.
  • L'Escursionista "Tour de la Vallée de Cogne Grand Paradis" 1:25.000.

Important Information

Useful numbers

  • Soccorso Alpino Cogne (SAR) Tel. 3482685406.
  • Protezione Civile Valdostana località Aeroporto n° 7/A Saint Christophe (Ao) Tel. 0165-238222.
  • Bollettino Meteo (weather info) Tel. 0165-44113.
  • Bollettino Valanghe Tel. 0165-776300.
  • Unità Operativa di Soccorso Sanitario Tel. 118.