Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Additional Information Elevation: 23054 ft / 7027 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


In recent years Spantik has gained considerable popularity amongst expedition climbers and operators of organised ascents.

Located in a relatively accessible, but still remote region, her approach is only 3 days, precluding the arduous approach march often associated with Himalayan 7000 and 8000m peaks.

This accessibility, and the fact that her long and spectacular ridge route is almost completely objectively safe, has seen a boom in the number of expeditions trying her each year - up from one or two each season in the mid 90’s to an average eight per season since 2000.

Red Tape


A permit is required, so is a Military or Tourism Ministry approved Liaison Officer. The Pakistan Government has reduced peak fees for the third year in a row, ostensibly in an attempt to lure trekkers and climbers back to the country after the terrorism alerts after 9/11. A climb permit will cost around USD$2000 for up to 5 climbers. It is in your best interests to engage an agency in Islamabad to do this or join an organised group where it is taken care of. An environment bond of $200 is also required, and if you want a back up rescue helicopter, a bond of $6000 will be required (in which case you really then need a satellite phone - add $200 for a permit for the phone)

You will also need to equip your LO with all the latest climbing and clothing gear, though he will most likely not use it. Our last LO took 5 good books to base camp and spent two weeks sunbaking...

Getting in


By Karakoram standards she is quite accessible. You can fly in a PIA B737 to Skardu (KDU) from Islamabad (ISB) if the weather is good (despite KDU having ILS pilots wont attempt to land in low ceilings - when you see the approach you will know why..). The alternative is a 36 hr land trip via the mind-boggling Karakaroram Hwy, which is a great way to see backwater country Pakistan. Try to bus up to Skardu and fly out to Islamabad if possible.

Skardu is the hopping off point for all major expeditions and treks into the Baltoro region, here you can make last minute arrangements, stock up on items, and enjoy the lazy atmosphere, ancient markets, and balmy weather.

From Skardu it is a ten hour jeep drive through one of the most picturesque and enchanting valley routes I have ever seen in this part of the world. The extremely rough tracks take you past hidden oasis of picture perfect villages and tumbling mountain streams. It really is a stunning journey.

At the end of the track lies Arandu village, a remote and cut off community of about 600 inhabitants who see few westerners each year. They will tell you however about the US Special Forces and CIA operatives who went up the valley 16 months ago looking for some guy called Usama. It wouldnt have been a good pace to hide though - the valley to Spantik is a dead ender unless youve got crampons and spools of rope.

Villagers here are very friendly, stay clear of the girls though (even friendly gestures are frowned upon), Arandu is very fundamental.

You can hire jeeps in Skardu, and porters also. If you wait till you get to Arandu with all your supplies before negotiating for porters, you will be at a disadvantage and at their behest. As nice as they are, if you rock up with no support you will end up paying a double rate for men to carry your loads.

WARNING: Arandu and other villages on the approach have had lingering issues with Typhoid in recent years. NEVER drink untreated water from village sources.

The walk to Spantik basecamp requires a march of 3 days along a straightfroward glacial system. You should take a guide, dont expect your LO to know the way or offer any assistance - it is likely his frst time here too. There s one difficult point where you drop down to the ice from the moraine bank - a porter fell here and died some years back and as a result the descent strikes the fear of god into your load carriers. Look after them and help them down with ropes if necessary.

The three camp-sites en-route are flat, some have trees, and water s nearby. Wear a hat for the walk and take plenty of sunscreen.

Best times to climb


The normal northern summer climbing season stretches from May through to October each year. One could say that even entering the region in winter is madness, let alone trying to climb a peak, but the Karakoram is increasingly seeing more winter attempts (of which about 90% fail )

Base-camp and high camps


The basecamp is not one to be overly looked forward to - its located at the bottom of the access ridge to the SE ridge, and is footed on a moving terminal moraine. You sleep and eat and live on ice and rock. Make some effort to cut a good slab for your tent to get comfortable. On the ridge, numerous sites exist out of harms way, all in superb and spectacular settings.

There is only one flat spot suitable for a single tent on the access ridge going up to the SE ridge, its useful if you start late in the day or are carrying a very heavy load. Try hard to avoid descending the access ridge in the dark, its easy to get off track and end up on vertical cliffs.

At base camp, if your feeling adventurous, take a trip up the icefall pouring off to the south. Its mostly safe hard ice walls with clear crevasses - be careful after fresh snow.

Mountain Conditions - watch the weather


Her enormous nearly 8km long SE ridge undulates across varied terrain and provides extraordinarily stunning views to both sides. At a few points on the ridge, you will have one cramponed boot on one side, and one on the other, with the sides dropping away thousands of metres to the glaciers below, most other times, the ridge is the width of a tennis court. The top camp (C3) is on a plateaux, hundreds of metres across.

The crux of the climbing is above C3, on steep slopes that sometimes require fixed rope. These slopes can be unstable after 4 inches or more of fresh snow. Most turnarounds occur here. If conditions are good its not too hard though, just a lttle exposed.

Like any peak in the Karakoram she is prone to unstable weather. If you are not an experienced climber, or not in an organised group, you should be mindful of this when high on the ridge. Its a long, long way to reverse in blinding wind and deep snow if you dont know what your doing. Climbers have died trying to descend this route in storms, others have lost toes and fingers - this climb, in bad weather, can be dangerous. Fixed ropes down the steeper sections will assist a speedy descent. Be careful and watch your barometers.

Also, ALWAYS wear a rope. We had 3 climbers fall into crevasses, one of whom was very lucky and not roped in -see the pictures below taken from a DVCam sequence

Organised expeditions and outfitters


Two operators provide annual trips here:

Jagged Globe www.jaggedglobe.com
Field Touring Alpine www.fieldtouring.com

If you have some experience and wish to tackle her alone or with a group of friends you can engage a local supplier to make the arrangements for you, try Adventure Tours Pakistan
www.atp.com.pk.

Many other local suppliers are available, but note that any local supplier cannot provide a climbing guide in the sense you are used to. If you are using local suppliers and 'guides' you will mostly be left to your own devices on the hill and have no real safety back-up. This method of climbing is really only advised if you are a competent alpinist.

External Links

  • Field Touring Alpine
    Expedition operators with several Spantik expeditions to their credit
  • Jagged Globe
    Expedition operators to Spantik with 2 expeditions to their credit
  • Adventure Tours Pakistan
    Local supplier and expedition outfitter
  • Saltoro Summits
    We provide adventure trekking using off-the-beaten-path, Mountaineering Expeditions, Rock Climbing, Jeep Safaris, Cultural Tours and Mountain Bike Tours in Pakistan. We will take you to far-off places as an honored guest served by our professional guides, cooks and other field staff and promise you the journey of lifetime to see Pakistan’s most incredible places and friendly faces.

  • Askole Treks & Tours
    Adventure Tour Operating company in Pakistan. Specialized in Mountaineering Expeditions, Rock Climbing, Trekking Trips and Adventure Tours in Pakistan.
  • Jasmine Tours - Pakistan
    Local expereinced expedition organizer. Best information on Spantik Peak different faces.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Josh

Josh - May 8, 2005 3:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

This peak was climbed in 1978 by Japan expedition Hashi to Harashi (Storm & Star) which was led by Nakamura. The Royal Alpine Club expedition of Japan, but other information is that this peak was first climbed in 1955 via the SE crest by a German expedition led by Karl Kramer. Spantik is a superb climbing opportunity for those wanting to further their mountaineering skills and altitude experience To join the expedition and to have a good chance of success, it is preferable that you have both technical mountaineering experience to 4000m in the Alps and trekking peak experience to 6000m in the Greater Ranges.
Its base camp is within easy reach. Spantik lies in the Karakorum Range and you can can be reached in four days including one day for the jeep drive from Skardu. For about three days we will trek on and beside Chogolungma glacier.The height of base camp is 4100 meters. Spantik lies in between Nagar Valley (also known as Golden Peak) near Hunza and Arandu Valley in Baltistan. The normal South East route to Spantik 7027 meters is from Chogolungma Glacier in Arandu Valley of Baltistan. Among 7000's meters high peaks Spantik is the most beautiful and fascinating peak. Every year it's attract dozens of adventure lovers from all over the World, from which 80% of them successfully climb this beautiful mountain. As with many high mountains, weather and snow conditions, and climbers personal fitness and acclimatization will determine weather the summit is reached. Although not technically difficult. Spantik peak is a serious undertaking and requires extensive previous alpine or expedition experience.



Josh

Josh - Nov 18, 2005 9:42 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

ITINERARY
DAY 01 ARRIVAL RAWALPINDI / ISLAMABAD
Arrival and transfer to hotel.
DAY 02 RAWALPINDI / ISLAMABAD
Briefing at Ministry of Tourism Islamabad and Meeting with Liaison Officer. Afternoon City tour of Rawalpindi/Islamabad. Tour includes the exciting Capital of Pakistan and the low hills of Margalla where spectacular views of the twin cities are available. Overnight in Hotel.
DAY 03 RAWALPINDI/ CHILAS
Flight to Skardu, If unable to fly, same day departure for Chilas via Silk Rout, sight seeing all along the rout with the company of Indus river the longest river of Pakistan It flows from Tibet northwest across the Indian-controlled portion of Jammu and Kashmir, passing between the western extremity of the Himalayas and the northern extremity of the Hindu Kush mountain range; it then courses generally south through Pakistan to the Arabian Sea.
Check in hotel. Overnight in Chilas.
DAY 04 CHILAS / SKARDU
Arrival in Skardu.
Total drive time from Islamabad to Skardu is 22-24 hours.
DAY 05 SKARDU
Day at leisure. while staff will make final arrangement for the expedition.
DAY 06 SKARDU -TO- ARANDU
Embark jeeps for a full day ride on a winding jeep trail to Arandu - The last inhabitance on our way to the Base Camp.
Overnight in tents.
DAY 07 – 10 ARANDU -TO- BASE CAMP
Early morning leave the last inhabited village. For the remaining portion of our journey we rely on our porters who carry our food and equipment’s and sustain our expedition. Overnight in tents.
DAY 11 - 30 CLIMBING
Climbing start towards Summit. Length of Climbing period depends on weather, fitness, and experience of the climber.
DAY 31 - 32 TREKKING BACK TO ARANDU VILLAGE
After an early breakfast leave the Spantik Peak base camp and we will trek down to Arandu village in two days. Overnight in tents.
DAY 33 ARANDU -TO- SKARDU
AM : Embark jeeps for a full day ride on a winding jeep trail to Skardu. Upon arrival transfer to hotel. All meals included.
DAY 34 SKARDU - RAWALPINIDI
Early in the morning fly to Islamabad, if unable to fly same day drive to Chilas Overnight in hotel.
DAY 35 RAWALPINDI
Upon arrival transfer to your hotel. Evening sightseeing.
DAY 36 RAWALPINDI
De-briefing at Ministry of Tourism Islamabad.
DAY 37 FLY BACK HOME
Transfer to airport for your onward flight.
End of our services

Shahid Hussain

Shahid Hussain - Apr 17, 2019 6:41 am - Voted 5/10

updated information

Thank you josh! for the great information about Spantik. I have noted that this article was written in November 2005. There are so many changes took place during the last 14 years period. For 2019, Royalty fee for Spantik is USD $1500. Flight from Islamabad To Skardu is very frequent. Pakistan International Airline is operating an Airbus PK451on daily basis. From Islamabad To Skardu is now only 20-22 Hours drive via Babusar Pass or via Karakoram Highway. As you said in your article that it would be wise to contact a local Tour Operator to organise the trips and get up to date information. One of the oldest and Government licence Tour Operator from Skardu is Trango Adventure. they will be happy to provide the Latest and up to date informations. info@trangoadventure.com https://www.trangoadventure.com

aaporik

aaporik - Dec 24, 2005 3:31 am - Voted 10/10

correct information updated July 2023

Spatnik Peak lies in open zone, so you do not need an army liaison officer who sit there for two weeks and read books. Anyone wants to climb Spantik Peak needs a mountaineering category visa by apply through a registered tour operators VIL and after having mountaineering category visa, he can get climbing permit. There is no red tape just you need to get mountaineering category visa and prepare your self starting two months in advance with help of your local tour operators. Spantik is a Balti word, originally it was Sapang - Tik, Sapang means Garden and Tik means Little. Sapang - Tik means little Garden. On its south ridge Spantik Peak has a beautiful small place with grass and hundreds of flower in summer season. A camping places for about 3 to 4 midium expedition with running small water. In the early season one can see ibex very close to the base camp.

aaporik

aaporik - Dec 24, 2005 3:34 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

For local information weather, road, politics please contact:

M/s Jasmine Tours
info@jasminetours.com
www.jasminetours.com
Tel: 0092-51-5586823
Cell: 0092-333-5109753

aaporik

aaporik - Oct 30, 2010 9:50 am - Voted 10/10

Spantik Vidio

There is a short video up loaded by on of our client been to Spantik in 2010. Please check the link below. http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/YqT4loxDnKuSp2H2S2mhoA?feat=directlink

Viewing: 1-6 of 6


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

The KarakoramMountains & Rocks