Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.93200°N / 107.4386°W
Additional Information Elevation: 13432 ft / 4094 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


At 13,432 feet, Sundog just sneaks into Colorado’s tri-centennial peaks as the state’s 299th tallest. Sundog’s Northwest Ridge provides a fun class-2 hike offering great views of surrounding 14ers Redcloud Peak and Handies Peak. Sundog also makes a great addition to the typical Redcloud/Sunshine day by providing a fantastic alternative to either retracing your steps back over Redcloud or descending the nasty, loose, scree/talus gullies into the South Fork Basin.

Getting There


Silver Creek -Grizzly Gulch Trailhead is the most logical starting point. To get to the Silver Creek-Grizzly Gulch trailhead start at the Henson Creek Bridge in Lake City. Proceed south on Highway 149 for 2.2 miles and turn right at the San Cristobol Lake Road. Continue past the beautiful lake and proceed up the Lake Fork of the Gunnnison River. At 14.3 miles the road forks- take the right fork up the Cinnamon Pass Road. The trailhead is at mile 18.3 on the Cinnamon Pass Road. Ample parking is available and there is a toilet at the trailhead. Just about any passenger car should be able to make it to the trailhead.

Red Tape / Camping


No permits or fees are required to climb Sundog.

There is ample, free, unregulated camping at the trailhead.

When To Climb / Mountain Conditions


Summer and fall would be the easiest times to climb Sundog. However, I can't imagine any reason why it can't be climbed in winter also (provided that you can access the trailhead). For current mountain conditions contact the BLM:

Gunnison Office
(970) 641-0471
216 N Colorado
Gunnison, CO 81230

Lake City Office
(970) 944-2344
Lake City, CO 81235

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.