Route to Lago Corona or Coronas (Cogne Valley)

Route to Lago Corona or Coronas (Cogne Valley)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.64715°N / 7.41723°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Difficulty: E
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pleasant excursion in the long and scenic Grauson valley in the Cogne Valley, the Corona or Coronas Lake (2.702m) located in a small and green basin offers an excellent view of the small chain that goes from Punta Tersiva to Mont Creya to the south, to the west instead of you can admire part of the Massif del Gran Paradiso and its glaciers while to the north the Punta di Leppe and climbing a few meters from its east bank to Monte Grauson, Punta Garin and Monte Emilius.

Lago Corona and Mont Penne Blanche

Piacevole escursione nel lungo e paesaggistico vallone del Grauson in Valle di Cogne il Lago Corona o Coronas (2.702 m) posto in una piccola e verdeggiante conca offre un ottimo panorama sulla piccola catena che va dalla Punta Tersiva al Mont Creya a sud, a ovest invece di può ammirare parte del Massiccio del Gran Paradiso e i suoi ghiacciai mentre a nord la Punta di Leppe e salendo di qualche metro dalla sua sponda est il Monte Grauson, la Punta Garin e il Monte Emilius.

Getting There

BY CAR:

  • From Torino, Milano, etc: Motorway A5. Exit in Aosta Ovest. Drive to the near Aymavilles. Follow in the direction of Valle di Cogne.
  • From Switzerland: through the Grand St. Bernard Tunnel or the homonym Pass). Drive to Aosta, then follow Courmayeur direction on SS.26. Just after Sarre, turn to the left, in the direction of Valle di Cogne.
  • From France: through Mont Blanc Tunnel or Petit St. Bernard Pass). It isn't necessary to enter in Motorway A5, you can drive through SS.26 Aosta direction. Before arriving at the Village of Sarre, follow the sign and turn right towards Valley of Cogne. After Aymavilles, the SR.47 crosses the Villages of Vieyes, Epinel and Crétaz and after about 25 Km. arrives at Cogne (1.534m). Follow the road signs for Gimillan and Lillaz (1.607m), 2 Kilometers after Cogne Center; arrived at a round-about, recently built in proximity of the St. Anthony Chapel, go left along the scenic route leading to the Village of Gimillan (1.787m) 2,1 Kilometers after Cogne-Resort. Usually for both no parking problem.
Picaciù Bridge and path N°8A
Alpage Grauson Nuovo and path N°8A
Signal and Punta Tersiva
Grauson torrent
Path N°8A

Route Description

The itinerary is the one that leads to the Doreire Lakes. From the junction (about 2.401 meters) shortly after the wooden bridge known by the name "Picaciù" (2.320m) 0h'10 continue on the left path n° 8A (signaling balls) until you reach the Alpe Grauson Nuovo (2.541m), where the new Grauson refuge has recently been built (2.510m). Just a few meters before the mountain pasture, go up on the right along the path, now marked with the n° 8B, and after passing a small lake "Lago delle Rane" (2.641m) after about 0h'10/0h'15 you reach the Corona Lake (2.702m). 2h'30/2h'45 from Gimillan.

L’itinerario è quello che conduce ai Laghi Doreire. Dal bivio (2.401 metri circa) poco dopo il ponte di legno conosciuto con il nome “Picaciù” (2.320m) 0h'10 continuare sul sentiero di sinistra n° 8A (palline di segnalazione) sino a raggiungere l’Alpeggio Grauson Nuovo (2.541m), dove nei pressi  è stato recentemente costruito il nuovo rifugio Grauson (2.510m). Appena qualche metro prima dell’Alpeggio salire sulla destra dello stesso lungo il sentiero, contrassegnato adesso con il n° 8B, e oltrepassato un piccolo laghetto “Lago delle Rane” (2.641m) dopo circa 0h'10/0h'15 si raggiunge il Lago Corona (2.702m). 2h'30/2h’45 da Gimillan.

Lago Corona and Mont Penne Blanche
Lago delle Rane and Punta di Leppe
Lago delle Rane and la Grivola
La Grivola during ascent on Corona Lake

Difficulty

The route can be classified as E/F.

 L'itinerario è classificato E/F. 

Essential Gear

Hiking gear. 

Da escursionismo.

Lago Corona and Punta di Leppe
Lago Corona and Penne Blanche during descent on Punta di Leppe

External Links

The new Grauson Refuge
Lago Corona and Mont Penne Blanche
Lago Corona and Mont Grauson
Lago Corona and Mont Penne Blanche
Lago Corona and Punta di Leppe

Useful numbers

  • Protezione Civile Valdostana località Aeroporto n° 7/A Saint Christophe (Ao) Tel. 0165-238222.
  • Bollettino Valanghe Tel. 0165-776300.
  • Bollettino Meteo Tel. 0165-44113.
  • Unità Operativa di Soccorso Sanitario Tel. 118.
Lago Corona or Coronas


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.