Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.05510°N / 116.4072°W
Additional Information County: San Bernardino
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 5103 ft / 1555 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview






Warren Peak marks the western extension on the Little San Bernardino Mountains high country. It is also the most western +5000 foot peak in Joshua Tree National Park. The main route up Warren begins at the Black Rock Campground. The peak was added to the Hundred Peaks List in 1978 and is a use name only even though it is listed on official Joshua Tree National Park maps. The peak has amazing views of the Santa Rosas, San Jacintos, San Bernardinos, and the Mojave Desert Ranges that surround this region like the Little San Bernardino Mountains. You will also hike pass Black Rock Spring which is a source of water for local wildlife.

Getting There

Take I-10 east past Banning to the intersection with SR 62. Go north on SR 62 to Joshua Lane in Yucca Valley which is also the intersection with SR 247. Turn right on Joshua Lane and drive about 5 miles through the spread out desert neighborhood. You will come to a junction with a sign for Black Rock Campground. Turn right at the junction and head through the campground and park at the visitor center.

Route



From the Visitor Center hike south on the narrow paved road that starts at site 35. Continue to its end at a wire gate by site 36.
Continue south on a dirt road to a fork just before a water tank. Go left for 200', where a use trail goes right from the road. Follow this trail about 1/2 mile to the main Black Rock Canyon wash marked by a toppled sign post. Turn right and follow the wash as it heads southwest and then west to a saddle just south of the peak. Follow any signposts with arrow and "WP" (Warren Point) as they mark most of the junctions. Warren Point becomes visible to the northwest. Leaving the wash and take a steep trail up the ridge that leads to the summit.

The roundtrip is about 5 miles and with 1000 feet of gain.

Red Tape

You will need to buy a park pass to enter.

7-Day Vehicle Permit: $15
This admits the passengers of a single vehicle for 7 days.

Joshua Tree National Park Annual Pass: $30
This admits the passengers of a single vehicle for 12 months.

External Links

Homepage of Joshua Tree National Park

Warren Peak is on the Hundred Peaks List

For more information on Black Rock Campground.