Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.57585°N / 8.72589°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 9905 ft / 3019 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Piz Blas is the highest mountain of Cadlimo valley, a transversal between Leventina and Blenio valleys, parallel to the Priora one.
Priora valley and the so called Priora region is a little corner of paradise in the North of Tessin Canton. Characterised by many lakes, green grasses and a sweet landscape, offer to the excursionist a quite and relaxing environment not too far from communication (highway and train). Here the visitor has the chance to walk in an untouched and well preserved envinronment.
The two parallel valley, Priora and Cadlimo are divided by a low ridge. The water flowing form the Cadlimio arrive to Rhein river and north sea, whereas the water from Priora will flow to Po river and Mediterranean sea.
Val Priora is characterised by sweet shapes of the mountains surrounded by rocky and wild peaks mirroring in blue lakes. Two huts (Cadlimio and Cadagno) offers more than 200 places to rest in this magic environment.
Priora is also famous for the cheese production

Getting There

Piz Blas
the Foppa
Lake Scuro
From Milano (Italy) via Lugano and Bellinzona: from Milano drive along the A9-highway Milano-Como-Chiasso to the Italian-Swiss border of Chiasso. Then Follow direction Passo del Gottardo (Gotthard pass) along the A2-highway or E35 to Quinto. Once left the Highway turn left and drive direction Airolo and Ritom. Once in Piotta follow the indication to Ritom and Altanca: a narrow way up will lead you to the dam. Parking place there (8 CHFr or 6 Euros ofr all the day).
From Switzerland (Luzern): drive south on the A2 highway (direction Lugano and Milano). Pass the Gotthard tunnel and then leave the Highway at Quinto (see above).

From the Ritom lake Dam: follow the white-red-white marks for Capanna Cadlimio along the lake to a bivy then rise to lake Tom (2022m) and then rise to the lakes of Taneda (around 2304m) to the Bassa di Lago Scuro pass (about 2470m). Then follow the mraks on the left sid eof the Lagoscuro Lake till the Capanna Cadlimio (2570m). Then from capanna Cadlimio the main path to east goes down to the bottom of Cadlimio valley. Instead look for an unclear small path that goes form west to east around 2500m levels, on a sort of balcony along th enorth side of the valley. Follow it untill oyu will find yourself under the top of Piz Blas and then turn right and climb the stoens till the saddle at 2889meters. Finally follow the rocky ridge to the top (the right mountian is the one with the summital cross).
From Cap Cadlimio it is almost given to your intuition

From the top large panorama from Oberland till Monte Rosa, all the Tessin and the Graubunden mountains.

Red Tape

Better in summer.
Swisstopo 1:50000: N 266 Valle Leventina and 256 Disentis/Muster

After Cadlimio the path is it very intuitive. Some stone marks and no more. Be carefull for the stones very unstable in the last 400 meters of the climbing up to the top

You can reach Ritom Dam by car, or with a small train from Piotta. Piotta is a station of the international train line Luzern-Bellinzona-Milano

Camping

In the area are availeable

1. Capanna Cadlimo
2. Capanna Cadagno

External Links

Add External Links text here.