Pizzo Gaglianera

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.53241°N / 8.92090°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10240 ft / 3121 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Pizzo Gaglianera is located in the center of the Lepontine Alps, on the border between north Tessin and Graubunden cantons.
The Pizzo Gaglianera, together with Pizzo Valdraus(3086m) and Pizzo Vial (3183m) close by the North a unique ambient of the Tessin canton: the Greina Area. Greina is very similar to the artic tundra: small rivers, small pools, musks, flowers. A really wodnerfull place.
Mountains sourrounding this Area (as well Pizzo Medel) some years ago were covered by extended glacers, now severely damaged by the heat of the last few summers.

Raccomanded for nice haking on mountians far from civilisation


Getting There

From Bellinzona (Tessin canton) follw the Highway in direction Gottardo pass.
Then about 10 km northern of Bellinzona, get out the highway in BIASCA and follow the indication to Lucomagno Pass, Olivone and Campo Blenio.
Drive streight ahead on the main road: You will pass many small villages untill Olivone. There follw the road to Lucomagno but just outside the center look for the right deviation to CAMPO BLENIO.
Once arrived on Campo Blenio, pay a bit of attention: the road turn on right in direction of Luzzone Lake. Instead the road to arrive to Pian Geirett is on the left and not very clear.
In the summer (end of June, beginning of september) the cars are not allowed to arrive to Pian Geirett. So you have to park somewherne and with 2 hours walkong you reach Pian Geirett. From there in about 30 min go to Capanna Scaletta, a very confrotable lodge.

From Pian Geirett follow a wide path all along the morrain crossing several small rivers and then hike to Capanna Scaletta (about 35 min). Once arrived there go ahead in direction of Greina: you can choose between two way : the white/red/white path or the faster white/blue/white (racomanded). The last one path pass through a small canyon. walking by you can recognise a roacky arch (arco della greina), just few meters after look for a wading to cross the river (you will find a white/black/white pole). Once crossed the river, it is hard to suggest a way sicne no clear path is availeable. Go in north direction: you have a very steeped grassy slop in fornt of you: around 2500 meters you will reach a large morrain (once there was the glacers of Valdraus and Pizzo Gaglianera)
Once on the morrain the Pizzo gaglianera is the conic pyramid on your right side: move progressivelly on that direction, look for a passage to the ridge closing the morrain on the right side and once reached the edge, just follow it to the top.
Be carefull: it is a climbing between rocks and moving stones. Few passage of I/II. Very intuitive.
No signs along the way


Red Tape

Classic equipment for mountains hicking. There are no glacers left anyway you can find hard snow so rope, axe and cramponse can be usefull sometimes.

Since the indication are very rare, a topographic map may be usefull

Lodging

Capanna scaletta is a very confrotable and nice lodge

External Links

Add External Links text here.