Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.39146°N / 8.93600°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7123 ft / 2171 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pizzo Matro rises in the center of Tessin Canton, south Switzerland.
Panoramic point, unfortunalty disfigured by a huge antenna for telecommunication built on the top.
This mountain stends just over Biasca, at the confluence of the Leventina and Blenio valley. By there it begins a long ridge of easy and panoramic mountains: with a walk of about 20-25 km all on the ridge you can reach the Priora Valley, another untouched wonderful place in the heart of Alps with interesting views on the surrounding.
The Long ridge begins with Pizzo Matro (2171m)followed by Cogn (2166m), Pizzo Erra (2416m), Pizzo di Nara (2231m), Pizzo Molare (2585m), Punta Campiello (2660m, Pecianett (2764m) ending at Poncione Prò do Ruduc (2507m) which stands above Ritom Lake.

There are several way form the villages at the foot of this ridge to reach each peak independently.

Pizzo Erra and Blenio valley
Pizzo Erra

Getting There

From Milano (Italy) via Lugano and Bellinzona: from Milano drive along the A9-highway Milano-Como-Chiasso to the Italian-Swiss border of Chiasso. Then Follow direction Passo del Gottardo (Gotthard pass) along the A2-highway or E35 to Faido. Once left the Highway turn right and drive back to Lavorgo: just outside the center of the village a narrow way rises direction Anzonico. Follow for Cavagnago and Sobrio.

From Switzerland (Luzern): drive south on the A2 highway (direction Lugano and Milano). Pass the Gotthard tunnel and then leave the Highway at Faido (see above).

From Sobrio: from the center of the village a narrow way rises till a parking place. Then a path (white-red-white marks) direction Cascine and Capanna Pian d'Alpe. The path rise into a nice woods reaching Cascine (1622m, a roadway arrive there too) and then follow for Bassa Cantoi (and Capanna Pin d'alpe). Arrived at Bassa dei Cantoi just follow the ridge to Forcella and top of Pizzo Matro. Easy.

Red Tape

Easy walk for every season

Swisstopo: Val Leventina 266, 1:50000

The Bus of the Swiss Post connect all the small villages with the valley. In val Leventina there are many train station along the train lain Milan-Zurich

Camping

Along the Ridge there are many places: in the small villages you can find guest houses.

Huts:

1. Capanna Pian D'Alpe, UTOE, about 50 places
2. Capanna Pian Daioss, over Leonitica, Blenio Valley
3. Capanna Gana rossa over Molare


Other mountains

Here a short lists of suggested walking to visit several mountains of the ridge

1. Pizzo Erra (2416m) from Calonico: over Lavorgo follow to Calonico and then Ravatoi. A long easy way up to the mountains. Many avalanche barriers

2. Pizzo Molare (2585m): from Molare. Left the Highway to Faido drive to Molare (1490m). A way up to Bassa di Nara and then reach the top via Pizzo Nara (2231).

3. Pizzo Molare form Leontica. A roadway to Gariva then follow to Pian Daioss hut and follow indication ot Pizzo Molare

4. Pecianet from Quinto