Rappenklammspitze

Rappenklammspitze

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.46924°N / 11.40830°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6020 ft / 1835 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Rappenklammspitze close up in the autumn evening sun, seen from Soiernspitze south ridge
Rappenklammspitze close up in the autumn evening sun, seen from Soiernspitze south ridge

Among the second row summits of Karwendel range, Rappenklammspitze, sometimes called Rappenspitze, too, is a remarkable peak: a rock spire sitting on a rather green and gentle ridge which borders the calm and quiet Rontal valley to its northwest and west. The border between Germany and Austria circles round the west and south side of the peak, the summit itself lies entirely within Tirol/Austria.

Rappenklammspitze is located between the less important Ronberg and Hochalplkopf, the latter being a nice ski tour aim in winter and spring, as is Rappenklammspitze itself.

To the south is located Wechselkopf, another second row Karwendel peak and part of an interesting and beautiful traverse. To the west Rappenklammspitze shows an impressive rockface and drops steeply down into remote Fermersbach valley which leads up to Fereinalm and the Soiernspitze subgroup of Karwendel.

Rappenklammspitze west face (center below) as seen from Soiernspitze
Rappenklammspitze west face (center below) as seen from Soiernspitze
Tortal (left) and Rontal (right) as seen from Schafreiter ski ascent; Rappenklammspitze is on the right rim of the pic below Raffelspitze
Tortal (left) and Rontal (right) as seen from Schafreiter ski ascent; Rappenklammspitze is on the right rim of the pic below Raffelspitze

As second row summit Rappenklammspitze is not a crowded hiking aim. It sees less visitors than neighbouring Torkopf on the east side of Rontal valley. The traverse to Wechselkof is yet more lonely and an add on of Steinkarspitze, another second row summit placed very spectacular directly below the impressive north face of much, much higher Vogelkarspitze, will be a unique climb.

Rappenklammspitze can be climbed the whole year round. In winter and spring Rontal valley offers a marvellous winter landscape and several nice downhill slopes between Hochalplkopf and Torscharte col. As the last 80 meters of Rappenklammspitze are an easy rock climb wintry conditions may be less favorable for reaching the top of this keen spire.

The panorama is surprisingly good and a winter climb with fresh powder snow or a summer hike with many rare wildflowers can be recommended.

Getting There

Best trailhead for the Rappenklammspitze routes is Hinterriß within Eng valley.

You reach Hinterriß by car

  • on road number B 13 and B 307 coming from Bad Tölz and Lenggries via Fall / Sylvenstein dammed lake
  • on road B318 and B 307 coming from Tegernsee region, Achenpass and Sylvenstein lake
  • on road 181 coming from Inntal valley to the German / Austrian border at Achenpass, following road B 307 to Sylvenstein lake.
  • Road B 307 ends at Vorderriß. Follow Risstal Landesstraße crossing the German / Austrian border until you reach Hinterriß.

There is a hiker parking area at the beginning of the village, another one after leaving the village (called parking area P2).

Rappenklammspitze as seen from Rontal ascent
Rappenklammspitze as seen from Rontal ascent
Rontal Almhut and Rappenklammspitze
Rontal Almhut and Rappenklammspitze

Public transportation

There is a hiker bus serving Eng valley. It starts at the railway station of Lenggries and has a bus stop at Hinterriß.

See the schedule here.

Routes Overview

Rappenklammspitze, Wechselkopf, Torkopf routes overview:

Starting at hiker parking area Hinterriß

Follow the Risstal Landesstraße in southern direction, Turn right about 100 m south of Gasthof Post Inn and ascend the road and soon the forest road into Rontal until you reach Rontal Alm. Leave the forest road about 100 m in front of the Alm hut to the right, cross the creek and head for the east slopes of already visible Rappenklammspitze. Follow the trail in some zigzags up to the north ridge until the summit trail branches off to the right.

Ascending Rappenklammspitze on the Rontal route
Ascending Rappenklammspitze on the Rontal route
Rappenklammspitze summit rock
Rappenklammspitze summit rock

Follow the summit trail to the summit rocks, clims up the rocks (UIAA grade I and scramble) to the summit.

This is the ski route, too

Traverse route to or from Wechselkopf

Follow the trail mostly on the ridge or a bit east of it. The ridge is called Steinkarlkamm. There is a deep notch with some rock scramble in bad rock in front of Wechselkopf, called Wechselschneid.

Rappenklammspitze and the traverse ridge as seen from Wechselkopf
Rappenklammspitze and the traverse ridge as seen from Wechselkopf
Rappenklammspitze as seen from the ridge to Wechselkopf
Rappenklammspitze as seen from the ridge to Wechselkopf

A nice loop route starts at the bridge across Rissbach creek north of Hinterriß (not many possibilities to park). Take the forest road branching off Risstal Landesstraße south of the bridge to the right. Take the left hand forest road up to Vordersbachau col. In front of the small cabin on the col take the left hand road and then the road branching off to the left. Follow this road to its end and take the trail uo the north slopes of Rappenklammspitze until it arrives the north ridge. Go right to the trail junction with the summit trail. Climb the summit.

For the descent follow the north and northeast ridge crossing Hochalplkopf and Ronberg northeast of Rappenklammspitze. Descend Ronberg northeast keeping on the broad wood ridge until you reach a huge clearing. Stay left of the clearing until you reach the end of a forest road which brings you back to Vordersbachau col. Descend along the ascent route.

Rappenklammspitze summit rock with Raffelspitze, Hochkarspitze and Wörner
Rappenklammspitze summit rock with Raffelspitze, Hochkarspitze and Wörner

Red Tape & Accommodation

Red Tape

The austrian part of Rappenklammspitze belong to the Alpenpark Karwendel, an important and strictly protected National Park. One of the visitor information centers is located at Hinterriß

There is no entrance fee for the park but many regulations to follow.

Please respect the following rules in the National Park:

National Park Rules
National Park Rules
Rappenklammspitze and the summits of Soiern subgroup as seen from Wechselkopf ascent
Rappenklammspitze and the summits of Soiern subgroup as seen from Wechselkopf ascent
Rappenklammspitze
Rappenklammspitze

Accommodation

Accommodation can be found at

Hinterriß

Eng valley

No camping within Alpenpark Karwendel

Overnight stay of motorhomes is strictly regulated and only possible at special parking areas

Rontal Alm offers drinks and some simple food.

There are no mountain huts for overnight stays around.

Gear & Mountain Condition

Rappenklammspitze is a year round summit.

The trails to Rappenklammspitze summit rock are easy hiking trails which require normal hiking gear and good shoes.

The short summit ascent requires a bit of rock scrambling in steep and a bit exposed rock - nothing too difficult with dry conditions. With rain, ice, snow or wet conditions this part can be a bit tricky.

Rappenklammspitze and the adjacent summits are ski tours for beginners, nevertheless safe avalanche conditions are required. You need full ski tour and avalanche gear.

See the Austrian / Tirol avalanche bulletin here.

Summit view down to Rontal
Summit view down to Rontal
Summit view to Raffelspitze, Hochkarspitze and Wörner
Summit view to Raffelspitze, Hochkarspitze and Wörner

Weather condition:

Weather conditions Hinterriß:

Mountain Weather Vogelkarspitze:

Maps

Alpenvereinskarte 1 : 25.000

Blatt Nr. 5/2, Karwendel Mittleres Blatt

Online Shop Deutscher Alpenverein

together with

Alpenvereinskarte 1 : 25.000

Blatt Nr. 5/1, Karwendel Westliches Blatt

Online Shop Deutscher Alpenverein

both with trails and UTM grid

Rappenklammspitze and Soiernspitze
Rappenklammspitze and Soiernspitze