Reither Spitze

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.32347°N / 11.23764°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7789 ft / 2374 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Autumn  viewReither Spitze offers great views towards the west...

Reither Spitze is a prominent peak above the city of Seefeld (Austria). Since Seefeld is a very touristic area and a cable car runs up to Härmalekopf (2034m/6674ft) -from which Reither Spitze is only an easy hike- this summit is not the place to seek solitude. The only time there is lesser traffic on the mountain is after Nördlinger hut has closed in autumn and there is no snow or low avalanche danger. Nördlinger hut at 2239m/7346ft above sea-level is the highest hut of the Karwendel, which makes it very popular.

Because of the location of Reither Spitze at the south-west corner of Karwendel it offers breath taking views to the surrounding mountain ranges. Zillertal Alps, Stubai Alps, Wetterstein, Mieming Range (especially Hohe Munde) and of course the Karwendel itself provide a wonderful panorama.

As mentioned above a cable car may be used to ease the ascent to Reither Spitze or Nördlinger hut. All the other trails to Nördlinger hut are easy and marked but sometimes steep hikes (especially trail 84 via Reither-Joch-Alm). The final ascent from Nördlinger hut is still easy but some rocky passages are secured by some iron-cables.

Panorama

Panorama from a place close to Nördlinger hut.

Getting There

By car:To reach one of the trailheads, you have to get to the city of Seefeld, which is reachable via the road 177 and B2 which connects Innsbruck (Austria) and Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Germany). From Garmisch-Partenkirchen you have a highway connection to Munich and Innsbruck provides a conenction to Italy (Brenner).
By train:If you go to Reither Spitze by train your trailhead is the train station at Seefeld. About every hour the train from Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Germany) to Innsburck (Austria) stops there. From Garmisch-Partenkirchen you have access to the trains to Munich, Ehrwald (Austria) and Rheutte (Austria). Innsbruck is the gateway to Italy (Bozen/Bolzano, Verona).
Train connection to Hochzirl

For more information visit the homepage of Deutsche Bahn for german and ÖBB for austrian train connections. To get to the trails up to Reither Spitze you have to go to the valley station of the cable car running up to Ross-hut (1751m/5745ft). There should be signs telling you how to get there, but I don' t know this. If you have any information about this, let me know and I' ll add it to the text here...

Maps and Routes overview

On the final ascent to Reither SpitzePart of the final ascent.

Maps:

Routes:
There are several possibilities of getting up to Reither Spitze, but I' ll only list two routes which can be combined to a nice round trip.

  • From Seefeld (Ski-Alm, valley station of Ross-hut cable car)
    First of all you' ll have to follow one of the trails up to Ross-hut (also possible with the cable car). After that you have the possibility to ascent Seefelder Spitze (2221m/7287ft) (via Seefelder Joch) or simply traverse to Reither Spitze (trail #77).
  • From Maximilianshütte
    Shortfly after you' ve left Seefeld in direction to Innsbruck a little street turns left leading to Maximilianshütte. There you have to park your car, because this road is not public. Simply follow trail #84 up to Reither-Joch-Alm (1505m/4938ft) and further up to Nördlinger hut (2239m/7346ft) and from there to the summit.
These two routes can be combinde via trail #10 which connects the valley station of the cable car with Reither-Joch-Alm.

Mountain conditions

Weather:

  • www.wetter.com
    Precise, but sometimes inaccurate weather forecast for the city of Seefeld.
  • ZAMG
    Not as detailed as the link above, but quite accurate forecasts.
  • OEAV weather forecast
    Weather forecast especially for mountaineering porpuses. Unfortunately this page is available in german only.
  • Avalanche report (Tyrol/Austria)
    As noted before, this german internet page offers the current avalanche report for Tyrol.

Webcams:

unavailableWebcam at Seefeld looking up to Ross-hut (1751m/5745ft).

Red Tape

What a place to flyYou' ll see a lot of alpine coughs...

There are no permits, fees or seasonal closures.
There is a parking lot at the valley station of the cable car running up to Ross-hut (1751m/5745ft), which should be free of charge.

Reither Spitze is located at the border of the nature reservation area Karwendel and therefore it is forbidden to camp on the mountain. Additionally you shouldn' t pick up flowers and don' t leave anything but footprints. Well because of the popularity of the mountain, there is a lot of litter on the way. Please help that this doesn' t become worse...

Camping

Seefeld is a touristic area with tons of hotels and places to stay. For more information visit the multilangual homepage of the area. Innsbruck and Garmisch-Partenkirchen aren' t far away as well.

Because of the nature reservation area Karwendel, camping on the mountain is forbidden. Additionally you should carry everything back down with you and leave only footprints. If you like to stay on the mountain Nördlinger hut (2239m/7346ft), Ross-hut (1751m/5745ft) and maybe Solsteinhaus (1805m/5922ft) are the only options.

When To Climb

Reither Spitze is mostly climbed all the year, but mostly in summer. During the winter months, the upper slopes of Reither Spitze are free of vegetation and quite steep so avalanche danger cannot be ignored. Unfortunately the avalanche report of Tyrol is available in german only.

Page history

21/Jan/2007
  • Initial page release.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

gjwolfswinkel - Oct 11, 2023 7:14 am - Hasn't voted

Roshütte parking lot no longer free of charge

It's a minor detail perhaps, but recently the parking at the funicular (train lift) to the Rosshütte has changed into paid parking. There is a EUR 5 fee. However, if you buy a ticket for the funicular, you will be reimbursed for this cost, if you present the relevant half of the parking slip to the cashier. Obviously, too many hikers and tourers parked there but hiked up the mountain instead of buying tickets to the lifts, so that's why they made this change.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.