Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.76085°N / 106.07268°W
Additional Information County: chaffee
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8403 ft / 2561 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

South Face & Arkansas River
South Face of Sugarloaf and Arkansas River

Arkansas River originates in the mountains of central Colorado and then heads south along the eastern edge of the Sawatch Mountains. Near the town of Nathrop (south of Buena Vista), the river creates a plain that is roughly six miles wide (east-west) and sits at an elevation of 7700 ft. Giant fourteeners such as Mt. Princeton and Mt. Antero rise to the west of the plain. To the east, in contrast, you will only find Juniper covered mountains that are generally lower than 10000 ft high.

Sugarloaf Mountain rises very abruptly above the eastern banks of the Arkansas River. Its western and southern slopes are rocky and steep. Its northern slopes are fairly gentle and provide the best access route to the summit. To the east, Sugarloaf connects to the nearby ridgelines and high points.

Sugarloaf Mountain is covered by a forest of Juniper Trees. It has two summits. The one to the north is slightly higher. From the summit of Sugarloaf, you will have good views of the peaks of the Sawatch Range, the Arkansas River Valley and the Juniper covered lower mountains to the east.
Northwest Face
Northwestern Face of Sugarloaf Mountain

Views from the summit of Sugarloaf Mountain:






Mt. Princeton
Mt. Princeton
Summit Tree
Summit Tree
Arkansas River
Arkansas River
Looking South
South
North View, Buffalo Peaks
North, Buffalo Peaks
View East
East




At the base of the northern slopes of Sugarloaf Mountain there is an area where giant boulders have created interesting rocky formations.




Rock Formations
Rock Formations
Rock Formations
Rock Formations
Rock Formations
Rock Formations
Rock Formations
Rock Formations

Getting There

From the intersection of Routes 24 and 285 south of Buena Vista, follow Route 285 east through Johnson Village. Shortly after crossing over Arkansas River, you will see a sign for County Rd 301 to the south. Turn right onto 301 and follow it south for 2.8 miles until you reach County Rd 300. Turn left (east) onto 300 and follow it 1.2 miles to the intersection of Arnold Gulch Rd. This is your trailhead. (Roads 301 and 300 are well graded dirt roads passable by most/any car). County Rd 301 can also be accessed from Route 285 north of Nathrop.

Route

Sugarloaf Mountain
 

From trailhead (7780 ft), head south and hike to the west of the boulder formations and then find your way up the Juniper covered northern slopes of Sugarloaf to reach its summit. The summit is covered by boulders. One way hiking distance is 0.55 miles per my GPS.
Hiking Up the North Slopes
Hiking up the north slopes

Red Tape

No fees or permits for day hiking.

For other regulations, see the site for San Isabel National Forest.

Fall Colors
 
Fall Colors
 

Weather

See the forecast for the town of Buena Vista, CO.

External Links

Sugarloaf Mountain - Nathrop, Colorado.